Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willow18

Player Valuation: £950k
Apologies if people find this boring, but I'm dead bored of the nothingness that is currently going on, and I've always been interested in tactics in sport.

So if given the squad that we currently had, how would you set the team up and what tactics would you use to get the best out of them? Would you build it around a certain player or players to get the best out of them or ask players to play out of position to play a certain way you feel would be successful..

Pressing game.

Ridiculous that we never use it, and a lot of teams with so called 'less talented' players use it. Yet we try to go toe to toe with far superior players at pass and move, when only about 4 players in the team can do it.

Our best tactic against some of the better teams at goodison tends to be keep a deep line and let there midfield have the ball then break on the counter attack.
E.g Man Utd & arsenal last 2 years.
Cant say we did the same vrs chelsea last year as they had smashed 2 goals in after 8 minutes but i reckon we would of gone with that tactic also instead of going toe to toe

I would start the season with this team, provided we get no more Ins or Outs of course.

The 2 full backs would push on and the 2 "holding" midfielders would cover them as they went forward, I would sack the Zombie tiki taka right off and play a fluid attacking tempo, Besic and McCarthy would play as a number 8 and number 6, when 1 goes forward the other sits, the 2 wingforwards would push inside whenever the fullbacks overlapped. I would be looking to have the front 3 keep a high line if possible and play balls over the top all day long.

Robles
Coleman - Jags - Stones - Baines
Besic --- Barkley --- McCarthy
Mirallas - Lukaku - Gezza​

Press the ball when we don't have it, keep the ball when we have it.

Put pressure on the other team's box with the ball and DON'T LOSE IT. We seem to struggle to string 3 passes together in the opposition's half these days lol

Well i wont bother telling you what I would do but i WILL tell you what Martinez is doing wrong.

Your supposed to pass and move, not pass and stay still. We do the latter. More importantly... is we have no vertical threat meaning nobody makes runs in behind. This allows teams to press us high up the pitch and makes it very congested for our 5 man midfield who consequently lose the ball in dangerous positions.

Martinez needs to tell Lukaku / Ross (whoever plays uptop and 10) NO DROPPING DEEP FOR THE BALL. Stay on the shoulder of the last man and look to get in behind. This will open up space for the attacking mids and also make it much tougher on opposition defences. It really is football 101 and for some reason Bobby cannot see it

Should literally be 'pressing game' for EVERY team outside of the Arsenal, Chelsea and United. Those 3 should be counter attack. The fact theres almost no pressing is almost comical for me at this point. We pressed relentlessly almost every game 2 seasons ago and finished 5th.

The whole idea of being a possession team is to retain possession then go get it when you dont. Not 'hold onto ball, pass..pass....pass.......pass...pass.........lose possession, now sit back and wait'.

What annoys me right now is we don't really get a cross in and when we do there is no one on the end of it, don't recall Lukaku scoring much headers last season.

Anyways i think the second half at home to Kiev was the best we played the whole of last season, Fast tempo and good pressure.

And what doesn't mean he can't get up and win a header? Two seasons ago his heading was brilliant and he won a lot in the air. Goals against Liverpool and West Ham etc..

I mean why are we playing balls up to his head?

They should be over the top for him to run on to or to feet and allow to use his strength and turn them.

Status
Not open for further replies.