supporters trust to buy finch farm???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the sound of this. Within the right structures and parameters, I think fans should be able to become more involved with their club at a number of levels and this is definitely worth exploring.

The plan is to secure this facility, to decommodify it and bring it away from the clutches of outsiders who pocket the rent from the club. So far so good.

The reason for doing this would be that whatever rent then paid by the club owners would be made available to these same club owners for capital projects.

a) It's hard to know what sort of capital projects could be financed in the period these peniless owners will be still around for that'd take only a few million to realise.

b ) the owners would go along with this plan on the basis that it'd be able to allow them to plan forward for an annexe type facility they fcuked up on already using commercial partners. That's ok, but the revenue generation from that always looked iffy and such a project would merely allow this moribund board of directors the ability to point to it and portray themselves as still being full of vitality and still a necessary part of our future...which they most definitely are not.

c) practically, the lenght of time this Trust idea would take to get off the ground would likely see a change off the pitch anyway, because though people say they support an idea they're less willing to put their money where there mouth is. Share Liverpool were full of wild projections and fell way short of getting the type of money required...and that was for a shatre of ownership in the club, not just securing a facility.

d) I really dont believe it's the job of fans to bale out tvvats who screw up in the boardroom. It's a noble idea and the Trust members are no doubt good fellers with honourable intent. But this is just a way of subsidising failure, IMO...encouraging the men who got us into the mess to carry on as per usual with their useless-ass ways - a free pass given to them by people with a fraction of any one of their enormous resources of wealth.

The plan is to secure this facility, to decommodify it and bring it away from the clutches of outsiders who pocket the rent from the club. So far so good.

The reason for doing this would be that whatever rent then paid by the club owners would be made available to these same club owners for capital projects.

a) It's hard to know what sort of capital projects could be financed in the period these peniless owners will be still around for that'd take only a few million to realise.

b ) the owners would go along with this plan on the basis that it'd be able to allow them to plan forward for an annexe type facility they fcuked up on already using commercial partners. That's ok, but the revenue generation from that always looked iffy and such a project would merely allow this moribund board of directors the ability to point to it and portray themselves as still being full of vitality and still a necessary part of our future...which they most definitely are not.

c) practically, the lenght of time this Trust idea would take to get off the ground would likely see a change off the pitch anyway, because though people say they support an idea they're less willing to put their money where there mouth is. Share Liverpool were full of wild projections and fell way short of getting the type of money required...and that was for a shatre of ownership in the club, not just securing a facility.

d) I really dont believe it's the job of fans to bale out tvvats who screw up in the boardroom. It's a noble idea and the Trust members are no doubt good fellers with honourable intent. But this is just a way of subsidising failure, IMO...encouraging the men who got us into the mess to carry on as per usual with their useless-ass ways - a free pass given to them by people with a fraction of any one of their enormous resources of wealth.

Good shout DaveK 

lots of this. Great post Davek.

Its a fantastic idea, though as davek say it has some downsides. Personally I would like to see it happen, but as a stepping-stone for the trust to take over the rest of the club over a long period of time, using the current regimes incompetence as an opportunity.

As for Supporters Trusts themselves, providing that people put the effort in they are going to be a much better idea than having some thief / incompetent fool / sugar-daddy in charge.

Sold for £2 Million, Fans buying it back for £15 Million ???? is Levy and Rednap involved in this deal ???!!

Its a good idea, but usually what happens in schemes like this is as soon as it comes to giving money no one wants to part with their cash.

I think that it will probably have the effect of killing-off the notion that the club should somehow be owned by the fans.
I think we will see that it will be difficult to raise funds to purchase this part of the club,never mind putting the finances to-gether to buy the whole club.

I think it is a great idea,if possible.
People need to have a look at the bigger picture and try to look beyond Bill Kenwright for a second.At this stage I think that there is litte doubt that Bill Kenwright knows that Everton needs new owners/investors. There is a seperate argument about when this reality dawned on him and that he has genuinely been chasing investment for a number of years as he said or whither this desire to really sell the club is recent.
I think the truth may be somewhere in the middle,Ithink the club was always for sale but at an unrealistic price and I now think that all reasonable offers are being looked at.

Either way,I would wager that in five years time there will be new owners at Everton,but the club will still be there as will supporters etc.It would certainly benefit the club if by some means it had ownership of the training grounds and also that this could in some way benefit the club.

I already advised the club to get involved on a gainshare basis. If, one day, we might have an owner with deeper pockets, we could have an agreement to sell it back to the club. In the meantime potentially an initial gain could be made by reducing the rent to (say) 5% and charging a rent of £750K - Trust Members could earn 5% on their money & the club could save £500K per annum.

Living in Northwich, I've just seen a chemical company kick Northwich Vics out of their ground mid-season because they want to build on the land. There's no saying that any buyer on the open market for Finch Farm would allow us to stay on as tennants, so it's crucial that we secure it's future. £15m does sound excessive, but it's possibly a more realistic proposition than trying to raise enough money to buy the club.

I'm actually quite surprised that the club is open to the idea, because it would need them to be more accountable to and transparent with the fans.

Andy Burnham is one of the better politicians and a true blue btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.