Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can get Zouma for half or less than the price being quoted for Maguire that’s great business. If it happens and if I ever cross paths with Paul Joyce after, I’ll sneak up behind him and whisper “zooooooooooooms” down the back of his neck

There is a certain irony that Real Valladolid, the La Liga club owned by the original Ronaldo, should be, in part, pinning their hopes for the forthcoming campaign on Everton outcast Sandro Ramírez.

Valladolid sealed the loan signing of the 23-year-old on Tuesday evening, despite Ramírez having scored just one goal in two years and even that proved no more than a meagre consolation in a 5-1 Europa League drubbing against Atalanta in October 2017. Ronaldo-esque his record is not.

Having arrived at Goodison Park from Malaga in the preceding June, the club claiming it had pulled off a £5.2 million coup, the reality is he has spent the last 18 months on loan back in Spain.

Spells at Seville and Real Sociedad have not sparked Ramírez back into the scoring groove and he must now buck that trend at his next temporary stop off where Ronaldo, the former Real Madrid and Brazil striker, acquired a 51 per cent majority stake in the club last September.

Unfortunately for Everton, Ramírez’s departure once more brings unwanted focus on to the summer when attempts to establish themselves among the elite proved forlorn, the reinvestment of the proceeds of Romelu Lukaku’s £75 million sale to Manchester United flawed.

Of the players who arrived in that period, Nikola Vlasic, Wayne Rooney and Davy Klaassen have moved on permanently. Everton will hope Cuco Martina joins Ramírez in leaving on loan. Henry Onyekuru, who has never played for the club, seems primed for another spell away, too.

Jordan Pickford, Michael Keane and Gylfi Sigurdsson remain, but must all step up next season under manager Marco Silva by displaying more leadership.
And it did not get any better in the January window last year when Cenk Tosun and Theo Walcott arrived for big fees, and big wages, and have done little to justify that outlay.

All of which brings us to Leicester City and the saga which is developing over the future of Harry Maguire.
Leicester’s desire to hold out for a world record fee of £80 million for a defender, rebuffing interest at around the £70 million mark from Manchester United and neighbours City, automatically raises eyebrows.

The England international was signed from Hull City for an initial £12 million two years ago and the chance to make a £60 million-plus profit seems a no-brainer to many.

Yet, in this instance, the pertinent question quickly shifts from how much Leicester might eventually get for Maguire and on to how manager Brendan Rodgers, and head of recruitment Lee Congerton, would spend the proceeds to ensure upward momentum?
So far in this window they have recruited right back James Justin from Luton Town, but hope to add £16 million Ayoze Pérez from Newcastle United and there is a £40 million deal for Youri Tielemans to finalise after he impressed on loan from Monaco in the second half of last term.

However, there is a scarcity of centre halves, which is a headache when it comes to replacing Maguire. Rodgers, too, knows from his time at Liverpool how banking a sizeable cheque can lead to issues. More money, more problems so to speak.
The £75 million sale of Luis Suárez to Barcelona in 2014 was not reinvested well (Mario Balotelli was among the arrivals) amid tension at Anfield over the process of signing players.

With Maguire, there is a good chance of Leicester challenging next season to earn a place in Europe. Without him, that opportunity of reinfiltrating the established elite once again must remain.

The fact that Everton will be watching events with interest speaks volumes, not least because Steve Walsh, who they recruited from Leicester, was director of football when much of the haphazard spending took place under Ronald Koeman and Sam Allardyce.

One interesting tit-bit to emerge in recent days was that Everton had targeted Marcel Brands, their present director of football, three years ago, but that Koeman, who had just arrived from Southampton, was against the appointment.

Brands had been director of football at AZ Alkmaar when Koeman was sacked after just seven months in the job in 2009.
“The board and directors no longer see any basis for further co-operation,” said a curt statement from Alkmaar at the time.
Walsh, instead, was brought in. The fall-out from that era continues to bite.

The permanent £22 million capture of André Gomes from Barcelona last week took Everton’s spending to around £300 million under owner Farhad Moshiri since June 2017. Instead of spending lavishly in one window, the spree continued across three in an attempt to clear up the mess and make fresh strides.
While there is a desire to bring in offensive and defensive reinforcements before the new season starts, Everton must now be more prudent in order to comply with Premier League profit and sustainability rules.

They have essentially been spending more than they have been earning and guidelines state clubs cannot post losses of more than £105 million across three years.

Everton made an operating loss of £22.9 million, excluding player trading, in 2018 according to club accounts and are likely to report another loss in 2019.
Leicester finished last season a place and two points below Everton in ninth. Rodgers’ target will be to be leapfrog them, along with Wolverhampton Wanderers, who finished seventh, and Arsenal, who finished sixth and appear vulnerable.
What happens over the coming weeks will determine whether that remains plausible.
Don’t see why everyone is so defensive, he sums it up perfectly and it’s all very accurate.

Darren Lewis on talksport saying we've taken a huge gamble and overpaid for Gomes, apparently hes shown nothing to warrant a permanent deal and expects him to be back in Spain next season.

Kopite I think isn't he?
Big Spurs fan. If Gomes had joined Spurs you can bet your bottom dollar he’d be crowing about what a bargain he is.

What is strange is, where was this same article a year ago when they sold Mahrez? Or was the 10m lower pricetag not worthy of a lesson?
Joyce has definitely got the hump over something about Everton now.
I wonder if him and the other journalists, king & Hunter. Who were always seen as the ITK journos when it came to Everton, have been pushed out?

Because none of them broke the Richarlison story that I’m aware off. It seemed the news broke and with in minutes, everyone had the story. Also it seems some of the local journalists know a bit more these days. With the likes of prentice & Kirkbride saying we aren’t after certain players that have been rumoured in the press. A lot of the local journalists seemed to be saying that there was nothing in the Sosa link, which at the moment seems to be right.

Darren Lewis on talksport saying we've taken a huge gamble and overpaid for Gomes, apparently hes shown nothing to warrant a permanent deal and expects him to be back in Spain next season.

Kopite I think isn't he?

Finding the media love in withe Leicester and Rodgers to be very odd. Cant help but get the feeling that if it had been Leicester signing Gomes the media would be singing a very different tune.

Finding the media love in withe Leicester and Rodgers to be very odd. Cant help but get the feeling that if it had been Leicester signing Gomes the media would be singing a very different tune.

Spurs drop 60 mill on Ndombele and no one bats an eyelid. We pay 35 rising to 45 on a prem proven player and we had Merson saying we’d ruined the transfer window .

If Perez actually goes for 30 million and no one says anything but there’s pindits actually questioning the Gomes signing at 22 mill then you know it’s just Everton bashing for kopite click bait.

I think that’s what it boils down too, former Liverpool manager who nearly won the league so the media are all over him. Wolves are flavour of the month. As for silva he got hull relagated even though they were already dead and downed tools at Watford.

I was listening to talk sport driving home, chatting about who could challenge the top 6, Leicester, wolves, West Ham, we were an after thought. Maybe I’m paranoid, but it does seem that the media can’t wait for us and silva to fail. Is it because we are the main big club on the outside or because of big Sam. During our bad run, talk sport wheeled him out every other day. Funny how we didn’t hear a peep of him for the last 3 months of the season.

I won’t Everton to start challenging again because I’m a fan and they are my team, but another part of me wants us to succeed so we can stick 2 fingers up to all the media. And I’m still waiting for the big signing that will hopefully start to change the perception. As most of the time we are linked with players along with Southampton & Watford ext. I know it’s only rumours but it does P me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.