Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I don't see the panic on the CB front. We have Holgate who has proved capable many times - and Gibson too, who is clearly going to be one of our future stars. So if Mina/Keane gets injured, we do have decent cover.

Honestly I don't see the panic on the CB front. We have Holgate who has proved capable many times - and Gibson too, who is clearly going to be one of our future stars. So if Mina/Keane gets injured, we do have decent cover.
I mean there's no experience between the two backups. Hence why you would hope you could get one with experience.

Have you seen holgate in pre-season. The lad has gone backwards at West Brom. I have zero confidence in him covering any of the defensive positions and so does silva judging by the players we’re linked with. Expect him to be out of the club tomorrow either permanently or on loan.

Last edited:
If we were just hoping to avoid relegation I’d agree. For a team hoping to finish top 6 and making £80m signings, having a championship right back and somebody with no senior experience whatsoever as ‘competition’ for your central defence isn’t ideal. Particularly when one of your first choice players missed about 25 games through injury last year.

I agree, but Zouma (on the strength of a video) is light years ahead as far as his positioning etc goes. At this level, when a slight mistake lets in a Salah or an Aubeyang or an Aguero, your recovery speed needs to be Usain Bolt-esque to have any chance of getting back.

I totally agree that whoever comes in needs to be a different type of player to Mina and Keane though, we need someone with pace there - Zouma was perfect. Needs to be someone in that profile.
Mate, I don't have a downer on Zouma and would have been delighted had he signed permanently this summer. But for two thirds of last season he wasn't all that you know. Quite often his positioning was awful and he gave the ball away quite a lot too. But he improved and had an excellent final third to the season.

But don't make him out to be this fantastic defender who we couldn't possibly survive without. It just isn't true.

I like him because he has different attributes to Mina and Keane and is a good foil for both. he also fits in well with the squad and by all accounts added a lot to the team morale. As I say, I'd love him to sign. But it's not the end of the world if he doesn't. He does need replacing in the squad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.