Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a system standpoint I'm not sure if a Zaha, Gylfi, Richarlison three behind a striker works well. It gives you three attacking midfield players who all have greater scoring ability than creating ability. It feels to me like signing Zaha needs to coincide with a switch to a 4-3-3. That's tough to do because at the moment Gylfi is clearly one of our better players and needs to be on the pitch. I'm not sure that he can drop deeper as he just doesn't have the legs for it imo. Maybe bringing in someone like Gbamin would allow a deeper midfielder with both Delph and Gomes going box to box. Marco will have to earn his money fitting the pieces together here.

From a system standpoint I'm not sure if a Zaha, Gylfi, Richarlison three behind a striker works well. It gives you three attacking midfield players who all have greater scoring ability than creating ability. It feels to me like signing Zaha needs to coincide with a switch to a 4-3-3. That's tough to do because at the moment Gylfi is clearly one of our better players and needs to be on the pitch. I'm not sure that he can drop deeper as he just doesn't have the legs for it imo. Maybe bringing in someone like Gbamin would allow a deeper midfielder with both Delph and Gomes going box to box. Marco will have to earn his money fitting the pieces together here.

None of those CMs in a 3 have any goalscoring history.

Im all for changing to 433 but i think we would need someone fantastic to hit 10 goals if we did that.

None of those CMs in a 3 have any goalscoring history.

Im all for changing to 433 but i think we would need someone fantastic to hit 10 goals if we did that.
I don't know about double digits from a midfielder. If we got a decent striker in and Zaha we could probably count on 40ish between the front 3 and that's assuming none of them are on penalties. Probably another 5 minimum from pens. We had double digits last year between all of our defenders which seems reasonable enough to think it's repeatable. The backup forwards would probably chip in a few. Tosun and Walcott had 8 combined last year so I'll use that number again. That's 63 without the midfield being factored in. So in this scenario you need 10 total from midfield and you've got plenty for a top 4 push.

Of course this all hinges on the striker getting to the neighborhood of 15 and Zaha and Richarlison both being able to hit double digits again. Not a given but if you're building your team around them in this formation I think it is doable.

I don't know about double digits from a midfielder. If we got a decent striker in and Zaha we could probably count on 40ish between the front 3 and that's assuming none of them are on penalties. Probably another 5 minimum from pens. We had double digits last year between all of our defenders which seems reasonable enough to think it's repeatable. The backup forwards would probably chip in a few. Tosun and Walcott had 8 combined last year so I'll use that number again. That's 63 without the midfield being factored in. So in this scenario you need 10 total from midfield and you've got plenty for a top 4 push.

Of course this all hinges on the striker getting to the neighborhood of 15 and Zaha and Richarlison both being able to hit double digits again. Not a given but if you're building your team around them in this formation I think it is doable.

Possibly, though i think we will simply swap the 4 players around quite a bit and utilise Bernard rather than going 433.

I think in 12 months that may change.

Key for me is the defence and midfield and also bringing in Kean.

Zaha im not sold on

Possibly, though i think we will simply swap the 4 players around quite a bit and utilise Bernard rather than going 433.

Zaha im not sold on

Valuation will for certain change from league to league. Millions and millions more rest on what Zaha provides to Palace more than what Fernandes provides to Sporting.

Zaha im not sold on
Honestly moving Bernard inside and making him more of a hard worker and distributer makes more sense to me than keeping him in a forward roll where he's expected to contribute goals. I'm not saying use him like Gylfi but actually make him into a kind of box to box but without the actual defensive responsibility to drop all the way into the final third. I don't know how that might play but a late night thought.

Anyway as you said Kean or whoever else is key unless they are throwing a huge curve and bringing in Zaha to play up top. I really hope not.

Honestly moving Bernard inside and making him more of a hard worker and distributer makes more sense to me than keeping him in a forward roll where he's expected to contribute goals. I'm not saying use him like Gylfi but actually make him into a kind of box to box but without the actual defensive responsibility to drop all the way into the final third. I don't know how that might play but a late night thought.

Anyway as you said Kean or whoever else is key unless they are throwing a huge curve and bringing in Zaha to play up top. I really hope not.

Well thats where Hodgson has mostly played Zaha, up top.

It's not that people are arguing he won't improve the squad, I think it's more the amount of money he would cost, there's similar players for less ... Ryan Fraser?

Not to be argumentative but has Ryan Frasier produced every season, as his name has only really come up this season.

But again I don't watch Bournemouth regular, just twice a season

Look at the money for a standard Leicester defender who was purchased for 18 million, being sold for 80 million, its the going rate. VVD from the vermin is the best defender in the league at 75 million, price is determined also by how important the player is to the club too, without Zaha Palace are relegation fodder

Well thats where Hodgson has mostly played Zaha, up top.
He has although I view it as a discount version of the position Messi plays for Barcelona. He's technically playing up top but that's only so he has no responsibility without the ball as they need him to be able to put full effort into the play when they do have it. In possession Zaha often drifts wide left just as Messi drops deeper and drifts wide right.

I'm not comparing the two directly just saying that in the context of their teams they are both required to do a lot of heavy lifting in attack and are given equal freedom from defending as a result. Zaha won't be allowed to do that if he joins us.

Reactions: FTY
Tbh his videos are all pretty much Bolasie style tricks then a 5 yard pass or a shot when the tricks come off.

Not really WOW level of excitement.

Kind of non-plussed myself.

Mate that's just rubbish, he is 10x the player Bolaise is, the only comparison is they both used play or played for Palace

Richo - Kean - Zaha interchangeable with Bernard would scare any premiership team

Mate that's just rubbish, he is 10x the player Bolaise is, the only comparison is they both used play or played for Palace

Richo - Kean - Zaha interchangeable with Bernard would scare any premiership team

Well it isnt rubbish is it?

A large % of posters dont think its rubbish...

How can you even assess a player for Palace whose only once netted 10 goals and say hes a player to SCARE any premiership team.

All defenders need to do is sit back, point...and laugh.

Kean -- Richarlison -- Zaha whatever way they line up...no good against a deep defence.

Well it isnt rubbish is it?

A large % of posters dont think its rubbish...

How can you even assess a player for Palace whose only once netted 10 goals and say hes a player to SCARE any premiership team.

All defenders need to do is sit back, point...and laugh.

Kean -- Richarlison -- Zaha whatever way they line up...no good against a deep defence.

Please don’t just judge players on goals - unless you’re going to do the same with Bernard? And I think Bernard is great by the way.

His goal involvement is very decent and that’s playing in a very poor palace side.

Status
Not open for further replies.