Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Even with £70 million to spend, Moyes would struggle to get the best out of a striker. It was just his way. Plus the original point still stands, he would love an aimless British, United reject carthorse like Danny Welbeck.

Marcus Bent had the height of his career with us. Campbell and Ferguson had great twilight shifts under Moyes. Radzinski had his best days of his career under Moyes. Yakubu was at his best with us, Saha did well with us, Jelavic had his peak under Moyes, arguably so did Mirallas.

There’s a difference between having poor strikers and not getting the best out of them. He got more of a tune out of Anichebe Vaughan McFadden etc than anyone else did. The only ones I’d hold against him were Beattie and Johnson who potentially had better spells of form elsewhere. Anyone else though played their best football here.

It’s just a lazy stereotype to beat Moyes with that isn’t actually true. We only picked up one striker from United under Moyes in Saha and he was not an aimless British carthorse. So what evidence is there to say he’d love to sign Welbeck?

Happy to disagree with you mate , no offence.
Any evidence to back your view that Moyes would fail to get the best out of a £70 million striker ?
Remember football is a team game , and he had a miniscule net spend.
Put a great striker with no support , and what do you get ?
Well this could go on forever, but he did inherit Utd's strikers. In a managerial career that has spanned from 1998 to the present day (or at least 2018) when has he built a team around decent strikers (relative to the level he was at)? I count Yakubu for a season and a half and half a season from Arnautovic at West Ham.

Yes he could spot a player, but attacking players in general were a problem for him. Who did he sign for us who were decent attackers? Pienaar, Cahill and Mirallas by my count. Arteta was not one and converted, same with Fellaini when it became apparent he was too slow to play DM in the Premier League. He managed to get Baines and Coleman to play as attacking dull backs which helped. He signed players like McFadden, Gueye, Kilbane, Beattie, Bilyaletdinov, Bent, Johnson, Beckford etc for attacking positions and some of them for relatively big fees. Saha falls in the middle somewhere.The money thing is an excuse - even though it hindered him, he has always been poor with attacking players.

That's why I think that mate, but that is just me answering your question - it diesnt6really belong in this thread, so like I said - we'll have to agree to disagree!;)

Marcus Bent had the height of his career with us. Campbell and Ferguson had great twilight shifts under Moyes. Radzinski had his best days of his career under Moyes. Yakubu was at his best with us, Saha did well with us, Jelavic had his peak under Moyes, arguably so did Mirallas.

There’s a difference between having poor strikers and not getting the best out of them. He got more of a tune out of Anichebe Vaughan McFadden etc than anyone else did. The only ones I’d hold against him were Beattie and Johnson who potentially had better spells of form elsewhere. Anyone else though played their best football here.

It’s just a lazy stereotype to beat Moyes with that isn’t actually true. We only picked up one striker from United under Moyes in Saha and he was not an aimless British carthorse. So what evidence is there to say he’d love to sign Welbeck?
Flaming hell one comment about sodding Moyes and all the knives (you know the ones, the ones we always had to take to a gunfight) come out for me!

No wonder we've fallen so far when one comment brings out the Moyes crew. How many trophies did he win again? He ain't Catterick or Kendall FFS - he ain't even Royle; at least he won something.

Moyes was a decent appointment for where we were in 02, he built the team up for 5 years and stayed too long. The way people talk about him continues to baffle me to this day. Think he's got more hero worship than any manager we've ever had. It really does betray our lack of ambition as a club when people jump to his defence over comments that criticise an aspect of his management career and have to turn it into a huge debate.

Btw, I forgot about Jelavic - another awful player who we payed relatively big money for from our budget.

Flaming hell one comment about sodding Moyes and all the knives (you know the ones, the ones we always had to take to a gunfight) come out for me!

No wonder we've fallen so far when one comment brings out the Moyes crew. How many trophies did he win again? He ain't Catterick or Kendall FFS - he ain't even Royle; at least he won something.

Moyes was a decent appointment for where we were in 02, he built the team up for 5 years and stayed too long. The way people talk about him continues to baffle me to this day. Think he's got more hero worship than any manager we've ever had. It really does betray our lack of ambition as a club when people jump to his defence over comments that criticise an aspect of his management career and have to turn it into a huge debate.

Btw, I forgot about Jelavic - another awful player who we payed relatively big money for from our budget.

You've obviously got a issue with moyes and that seems to be the problem here. Moyes over his time at Everton had 3.5m transfer budget a season on avarage. Who when he took us over we as a club were only going one way and that was relagation, I honestly have no doubt in my mind about that.

He not only stopped us from being relagated but turned us into a top 7 team in the leauge, had us finish fouth and regularly had us finishing in the European spot. Moyes main reason why we he didn't get us a trophy was because we didn't have any money and couldn't build a squad there for had to flog the starting 11 to death over a season so we just couldn't do it. The one season we should of won a trophy (09) we ended up in the final missing our main striker, main cm and main cb all through acl Injuries.

We went 2 years not buying a player and he still had us competing in the leauge.

Yak scored 20 in his first season then he did his acl, so you can't blame moyes there. Johnson we sold at a profit so he must of done something right. Saha cost about 2m and was good for us. Beckford was a free who came in for a season scored 10 goals for us then we sold for 5m. Jelavic was supposed to be 5m (that we got for selling billy) but we only ended up paying half of that because rangers went into administration.

If moyes had lukaku when he was here we would of been a hell of a lot more successful without a doubt. At one point under moyes we had the highest chance creation of any team in Europe but we had bad jelavic up front.

I think at this point, it looks incredibly obvious that in the next week we will be selling Gueye, Lookman, McCarthy, and Mirallas. All told looks like we will get about 62 million for them, with only the one being important to the team. Good business, but it always makes me nervous removing a key cog defensively, and hopefully Master Brands finds a top replacement.

Tell PSG they are book-cooking, financial-doping, rule-breaking, horrible carts who either pay our valuation of a player we don't wish to leave us or they go elsewhere and get their number placed on the blacklist. As Gueye is at least three times better than Keita who Liverpool purchased for 60m, I suggest the very minimum we compromise at should be approximately 150m pounds, cash.

You've obviously got a issue with moyes and that seems to be the problem here. Moyes over his time at Everton had 3.5m transfer budget a season on avarage. Who when he took us over we as a club were only going one way and that was relagation, I honestly have no doubt in my mind about that.

He not only stopped us from being relagated but turned us into a top 7 team in the leauge, had us finish fouth and regularly had us finishing in the European spot. Moyes main reason why we he didn't get us a trophy was because we didn't have any money and couldn't build a squad there for had to flog the starting 11 to death over a season so we just couldn't do it. The one season we should of won a trophy (09) we ended up in the final missing our main striker, main cm and main cb all through acl Injuries.

We went 2 years not buying a player and he still had us competing in the leauge.

Yak scored 20 in his first season then he did his acl, so you can't blame moyes there. Johnson we sold at a profit so he must of done something right. Saha cost about 2m and was good for us. Beckford was a free who came in for a season scored 10 goals for us then we sold for 5m. Jelavic was supposed to be 5m (that we got for selling billy) but we only ended up paying half of that because rangers went into administration.

If moyes had lukaku when he was here we would of been a hell of a lot more successful without a doubt. At one point under moyes we had the highest chance creation of any team in Europe but we had bad jelavic up front.
Ifs and buts. You are right that I do have an issue with Moyes - the hold he has over people. Why? I haven't completely destroyed the man if you read back through my comments. I've praised him where it was deserved. His attitude to attacking (including playing for draws against bigger teams) was part of his loser mentality. He reached his own glass ceiling at Everton. Money wouldn't help him break it - his own mentality would still be too negative.

Yes he lost key players in 09 but as soon as that Saha goal went in, he tried to keep it to 1 nil. Inviting over 90 minutes of pressure - sheer stupidity, and it cost us. How many times did we defend Burnley style by sinking deeper and deeper and defending the edge of the penalty box only to concede a shot from distance? I lost count over the years. Plus we didn't press like the top teams do, we were just aggressive- there is a difference.

I have no doubt that you are right and we would have gone down if we didn't appoint Moyes in the first place. But I hate the way we are not allowed to point out any of his flaws. Moyes was a decent manager, nothing more. Not worthy of the love in he gets here. You can't just blame Kenwright and Elstone for our malaise and the lowering of expectations- Moyes was a big part of that, always playing up the 'miraculous' nature of his work.

What started all this off was a simple comment expressing my dismay at the prospect of signing Danny Welbeck - who strikes me as a Moyes signing. I love the signings we made last year- they were refreshing and a far cry from our usual targets over many years. I don't want to revert to that and everyone feels the need to jump to St Davey's defence.

We'll have to hire a few HGVs to shift all those top 7 trophies to Bramley Moor won't we? I look forward to the Mersey entrance to the stadium being straddled by an 80 feet image of Moyes in bronze styled after the Colossus of Rhodes to reflect his importance in our history :plol

Status
Not open for further replies.