Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's mad to think we've potentially had our best ever summer (incoming transfers) and yet we still lack arguably the most important thing after losing Lukaku- a prolific goal scorer.

by the sounds of things we wanted to lessen the burden of the main striker by spreading the goals across the squad. I know we've been after a striker for a while but I just hope we're not holding out for Giroud in the hope that he changes his mind. I hope we have a suitable backup and not a random punt from Steve Walsh's high potential shortlist.

It's mad to think we've potentially had our best ever summer (incoming transfers) and yet we still lack arguably the most important thing after losing Lukaku- a prolific goal scorer.

by the sounds of things we wanted to lessen the burden of the main striker by spreading the goals across the squad. I know we've been after a striker for a while but I just hope we're not holding out for Giroud in the hope that he changes his mind. I hope we have a suitable backup and not a random punt from Steve Walsh's high potential shortlist.
Another CB is just as important i reckon. Can't be having jags and wiLOLiams starting every match

Thanks Steve.

There's little doubt it's chicken and egg. It was funny really I was watching a young Jeffers play on repeat videos I had the other day and I was so impressed with his movement. Had he been coach right I still think he could have been playing for us today. You do need a lot of luck being that type of striker and as you say not to do your hamstrings which tend to kill a lot of them. Even a Speed merchant like Kanchelskis was never the same player after leaving us having got some niggles. I worry with Vardy at 30 he is one injury away from that, and while he's a willing runner I'm not sure he's the cleverest to cope well if he lost his pace?

I agree with games too. Ultimately it's a combination of both, age and games. He's a "young 30" whereas Wayne is an old 31. It seems a big fee though.

I also agree re the change of strategy. In honesty I'd ditch the target man idea and just use DCL as an option. I'd have happily seen us add Berrardi or even a lad like Keita Balde who could operate down the middle. I just worry though if Koeman has planned for an experienced target man and we don't get one to what extent that hits us?

As for money I think you're right. But I've seen it before in the 90's. We started throwing big money around on lads that didn't work out and the plug was pulled with the sales of Fergusan, Speed, Hinchliffe, Jeffers, Ball etc. Nothing against Vardy really, however I sense Leicester may get the best of that deal at 40 million.

Balde would have been an exceptional signing very much in the role mane did at saint under koeman.

My main worries are we seem to have effectively tried to implement the formation Koeman used at saints. But without the target man needed to make it work, without the player with blistering pace who cuts in sndcruns at players like mane did, and without the cb with pace enough to enable a high line for a high press.

The lack of the latter is even more worrying given unlike saints did, we font have any pace at fullback either

We needed a Mane type player. Someone like the player Koeman had at Southampton. Too many technical players who want to lay it off rather than commit defenders. The blend looks bizarre. We have neither the speed and power to play on the break nor the big man to play direct. We've sold our goals.

Koeman says we are hoping for 2 in when it looks like we really need 3-4.

We got 80m worth of holes to fill.
he should be looking to recruit a player in the mould of David Silva or Juan Mata, someone who can pass a ball and keep possession, unlike the dross we have at present who can only pass sideways or backwards and seem incapable of making a forward run, does anyone know what Tom Davies actually offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.