Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now Lukaku still plays for us.

If/when Lukaku goes, Ronald Koeman (who knows a thing or two about this game) will realise that Everton need to replace the 25 goals a season that Lukaku would have given us and will look for suitable replacements. It's the 6th July with the transfer window open until the end of August. We got £127m from TV money and will be getting £75m+ for a player who wants to leave the club.

People are placing so much emphasis on the 25 goals as if we can't replace that from 2 or 3 players. Say we got Giroud, it's not too far fetched to expect 15 minimum from Giroud and 10 from Sandro. If we got Rooney, Sandro and someone else you could get the 25 from 5, 10 and 10. Not to mention that the way we play as a team might be far better as we won't rely on Lukaku up front on his own. How far did it get us having 25 goal a season Lukaku up front on his own away to the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man United? He scored a penalty in the Arsenal game and did very little in those other games because he was isolated. We are now adding depth to the squad which could see us stand a chance in those games and could see us approach these games in a far more effective way with players like Klaasen supporting whoever we have up front.

Stop panicking and wait and see what happens over the next 2 months. There is a long long way to go before all the transfer business is over.
I agree with you to a point but I've made the point a number of times that we don't just need to replace Lukaku's 25. The 10s and 12s need to be alongside someone who gets 20, not instead of. That's what Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and City have so if we want to compete with them we need to get more goals not just replace the ones we're losing.

Have to say.. I would happily take Rooney or Giroud, but not both! We need someone who is younger and has still has room to improve their game. At the moment, one of them wants to come to us and would be essentially free; the other would cost £20m and doesn't seem too keen on joining. Wages would be roughly the same. I know which one I would take.
The one who actually scores goals, giroud?

Have to say.. I would happily take Rooney or Giroud, but not both! We need someone who is younger and has still has room to improve their game. At the moment, one of them wants to come to us and would be essentially free; the other would cost £20m and doesn't seem too keen on joining. Wages would be roughly the same. I know which one I would take.

we have enough players who still have room to improve their game... DCL, Lookman, Davies, Kenny, Sandro, Barkley, Holgate, Keane...we need a bit of proven too

I agree with you to a point but I've made the point a number of times that we don't just need to replace Lukaku's 25. The 10s and 12s need to be alongside someone who gets 20, not instead of. That's what Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and City have so if we want to compete with them we need to get more goals not just replace the ones we're losing.

To move to that next level you are right but I was looking at it purely from the perspective of 'can Lukaku's goals be replaced' and the answer in my opinion is yes. We obviously don't have the stature in the modern game to be able to attract another 25 goal a season man like Lewandowski or Aubameyang and therefore we will need to replace the goals with 2 or 3 players.

For the time being we have brought in Klaassen and no bids look like coming in for Barkley. That should surely be 15 goals between those 2 and there is plenty of time for us to bring in players who will contribute more goals.

I could fully understand the panic and concern if by the end of August we have lost Lukaku and haven't brought anyone in but I don't believe that will be the case. For example if we got some of the players we are linked with we would go from having a combined 35 goals from just 3 scorers Lukaku (25), Barkley (6) and Coleman (4), to close to 50 with Giroud (15), Sandro (10), Rooney (6), Barkley (6), Klaassen (6), Sigurdsson (6). That's extremely pessimistic for Rooney, Barkley, Klaassen and Sigurdsson as well given they will be playing in a very good team. Obviously Sigurdsson arriving may see the end of Barkley but we also have the likes of Bolasie and Mirallas who could replace Barkley's goals, or a signing I haven't mentioned.

To move to that next level you are right but I was looking at it purely from the perspective of 'can Lukaku's goals be replaced' and the answer in my opinion is yes. We obviously don't have the stature in the modern game to be able to attract another 25 goal a season man like Lewandowski or Aubameyang and therefore we will need to replace the goals with 2 or 3 players.

For the time being we have brought in Klaassen and no bids look like coming in for Barkley. That should surely be 15 goals between those 2 and there is plenty of time for us to bring in players who will contribute more goals.

I could fully understand the panic and concern if by the end of August we have lost Lukaku and haven't brought anyone in but I don't believe that will be the case. For example if we got some of the players we are linked with we would go from having a combined 35 goals from just 3 scorers Lukaku (25), Barkley (6) and Coleman (4), to close to 50 with Giroud (15), Sandro (10), Rooney (6), Barkley (6), Klaassen (6), Sigurdsson (6). That's extremely pessimistic for Rooney, Barkley, Klaassen and Sigurdsson as well given they will be playing in a very good team. Obviously Sigurdsson arriving may see the end of Barkley but we also have the likes of Bolasie and Mirallas who could replace Barkley's goals, or a signing I haven't mentioned.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not panicking in the slightest. I think if we replaced Lukaku with Giroud we'd finish 7th no problem. No need to panic but not really anything to be excited about either.

I think if we replace Lukaku with Giroud and Batshuayi (for example, there are many others I would take too), we can be looking at a genuine challenge for the top 3/4. That's what we need to be looking at in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.