Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

He could barely move that 2nd half of the season.
Id hate to imagine his movement 3 years on!

Absolute wand of a left foot though! Just bring him on for set pieces
A lovely footballer to watch but yeah shouldn’t completely airbrush history: he went MIA the second half of that season and his Uncle Carlo let him away with it because neither gave the slightest toss.

Our player of the season did. Went to Blackburn then PSV then back to us. It is quite normal for players to do two or three loans if they're not ready. Dobbin definitely isn't.

Gordon/Barkley who only did one loan were.
Yes but thats not the norm thats what i'm saying. You keep saying you'd expect someone to follow that path as if thats what usually happens but most players don't follow that path at all Branthwaite is much more the exception than the rule and even then centre half is obviously a totally different thing to an attacking player and its much more common to need to develop more before playing there. It isn't the case that most players coming through the ranks at a club like Everton will go on 3 loans before becoming a first team regular. I might be proved wrong but in my opinion Dobbin for example is an average Championship player who even in the recent past probably would never have played a first team game for us and is only still on the books here because we can't afford to sign better players and so need players like him to plug gaps. I assume that will carry on for the next few years so I expect to see him and others sitting on the bench a lot.

Yes but thats not the norm thats what i'm saying. You keep saying you'd expect someone to follow that path as if thats what usually happens but most players don't follow that path at all Branthwaite is much more the exception than the rule and even then centre half is obviously a totally different thing to an attacking player and its much more common to need to develop more before playing there. It isn't the case that most players coming through the ranks at a club like Everton will go on 3 loans before becoming a first team regular. I might be proved wrong but in my opinion Dobbin for example is an average Championship player who even in the recent past probably would never have played a first team game for us and is only still on the books here because we can't afford to sign better players and so need players like him to plug gaps. I assume that will carry on for the next few years so I expect to see him and others sitting on the bench a lot.

There is no norm, I'm not saying there is. It depends on the player. I put Dobbin in the category of players that needs another loan like Branthwaite did at a higher level to his previous one.

Not sure why a player like Barkers - who can clearly run a PL game even within the confines of a pony outfit like Luton - is shunned by some.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat.
I don't know if he's doing it "even" at Luton or exactly because he's at Luton. He reminds me of that season Charlie Adam had at Blackpool where he was so much better than the others that he was just allowed to do whatever he wanted with the whole team based around it and looked better than he actually was because of it.

Not sure why a player like Barkers - who can clearly run a PL game even within the confines of a pony outfit like Luton - is shunned by some.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat.
I think he could play the role that Doucoure does and offer much more going forward, but I'm not sure he has the mentality to come back and win over the fans who blame him for the way he left.