Summer 2024 transfer thread.

Selling Onana won't generate much in the way of profit (because his book value is high), and we lose a percentage of any profit to Lille. In addition to that, we have other midfielders going out of contract who frankly we don't want back... So we lack the depth to sell Onana without creating a problem in terms of player numbers.

Selling Pickford is an utterly deranged move for a club in our precarious position. We have no quality backup so we'd have to buy a replacement and that might take a significant portion of the fees raised by selling Pickford in the first place.

The player we should be looking to sell is DCL. Low book value, will start to see his value decrease in about 18 months time (due to age) and whilst we can debate how good they are we do at least have Beto and Chermiti to play up front. Given the fees allocated to buy both of them we should be playing them. No need to rush out to immediately buy a replacement.

DCL £40m
Holgate £5m
Keane £5m
Doucouré £10m
Maupay £10m

Those are your sales this summer.

Gomes, Alli, Danjuma, Harrison all leave.

Gana I would re-sign.

Coleman and Young sadly are at the end of the road.

Need to bring in:

LB
CM
LW
RW

Selling Onana won't generate much in the way of profit (because his book value is high), and we lose a percentage of any profit to Lille. In addition to that, we have other midfielders going out of contract who frankly we don't want back... So we lack the depth to sell Onana without creating a problem in terms of player numbers.

Selling Pickford is an utterly deranged move for a club in our precarious position. We have no quality backup so we'd have to buy a replacement and that might take a significant portion of the fees raised by selling Pickford in the first place.

The player we should be looking to sell is DCL. Low book value, will start to see his value decrease in about 18 months time (due to age) and whilst we can debate how good they are we do at least have Beto and Chermiti to play up front. Given the fees allocated to buy both of them we should be playing them. No need to rush out to immediately buy a replacement.

DCL £40m
Holgate £5m
Keane £5m
Doucouré £10m
Maupay £10m

Gana I would re-sign.

Need to bring in:

LB
CM
LW
RW
I agree but I think we’ll get £30m for DCL.

We sell Holgate, Keane and Maupay for whatever we can get.

Release Gomes, Ali, Coleman and the third keeper.

Extend Gana’s contract by another year.

Not that I want to keep Young but if he plays 28 matches under Dyche I bet he will be kept for another year as back-up.

In an ideal world I will keep Pickford, Onana and JB.

DCL £40m
Holgate £5m
Keane £5m
Doucouré £10m
Maupay £10m

Gana I would re-sign.

Need to bring in:

LB
CM
LW
RW
I love Dom, but 40m????????????????????

And wait, you are selling our best Striker and replacing him with a kid who looks out of his depth and Beto?

Last edited:

DCL £40m
Holgate £5m
Keane £5m
Doucouré £10m
Maupay £10m

Gana I would re-sign.

Need to bring in:

LB
CM
LW
RW
His book value is probably around 18m so I’m sure we can make enough on him

Selling Onana wouldn't be as profitable as Branthwaite, but it would still "suffice". Not only do you get the profit above his remaining contract value, but you also get his annual cost off the books.

I would wildly guestimate(better than the esk) we are around -40m for this coming years psr. If you sell Onana for 50m, you end up saving about 34m taking into account sale price, Lille cut, and removing his amortization(6m per) from the books. That puts you almost even if you sell by June 30th.

DCL £40m
Holgate £5m
Keane £5m
Doucouré £10m
Maupay £10m

Gana I would re-sign.

Need to bring in:

LB
CM
LW
RW

Some of the prices quoted for sales are fantasy land. I think we will aim to sell Onana and then raid bargain basement to fill out the squad with the hope to keep Branthwaite for at least another year (fingers crossed). He's vital to us being competitive next year. I think our only hope with Branthwaite is that I don't think other teams will match our valuation just yet. I hope his character is committed and that he doesn't get his head turned by the intial interest. Whilst I think Onana has a high ceiling in terms of performance, he goes missing so often that I don't think his impact on the team is that high.

I think we'll sell Maupay to brentford for around £6m, I reckon we'll have to find another loan for holgate. Might be a struggle because he's been awful. We won't sell Keane, DCL or Doucoure.

I agree I think we'll let Danjuma, Gomes, Alli and Harrison leave. Unless we can negotiate a cheaper deal/another loan on Harrison.

I think there's enough profit in selling Onana to make it worthwhile. Some fag packet calculations (and estimated figures).

Say we've paid 35m plus 20% of profit and signed him on a 5 year contract at 5m a year, and we sell for 60m.

Lille get 5m of that. So 55m to us.

2 years of amortisation is 14m, so current book value is 21m. So in actual fact a 60m sale would make 34m on this years books (if sold before June 30) or next year's.

And of course that's not all, because for next year's accounts and the two subsequent years you lose 7m amortisation and 5m wages so 12m a year saved.

Personally I think we probably overpaid for Onana and if the opportunity comes to exit that with a decent profit it's worth taking.

Unfortunately I reckon we’ll get £125 mill for Onana, Branthwaite and Maupay. Gana, and Coleman will stay, maybe even Young!

Last edited:

Selling Onana wouldn't be as profitable as Branthwaite, but it would still "suffice". Not only do you get the profit above his remaining contract value, but you also get his annual cost off the books.

I would wildly guestimate(better than the esk) we are around -40m for this coming years psr. If you sell Onana for 50m, you end up saving about 34m taking into account sale price, Lille cut, and removing his amortization(6m per) from the books. That puts you almost even if you sell by June 30th.
We also had some sales in the last summer transfer window that I think may be included this year in Cannon, Simms and ISS. I can't remember if they were sold before June or not.

DCL £40m
Holgate £5m
Keane £5m
Doucouré £10m
Maupay £10m

Gana I would re-sign.

Need to bring in:

LB
CM
LW
RW
Crikey. Sell DCL and don’t buy a striker ???

We also had some sales in the last summer transfer window that I think may be included this year in Cannon, Simms and ISS. I can't remember if they were sold before June or not.
Simms I think was included in last year's accounts, no idea about ISS. But Cannon, along with Gray and Iwobi, will be on this season's accounts so actually quite a bit of profit there, although unlikely enough.