Striker Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are that Vellios, Gueye and Vic will leave us and we will get a forward in that is proven but now on the fringes of one of the top 5 teams in the Prem. A continental striker that we could afford would be a gamble not worth taking in my opinion given our lack of firepower already. So Vic replaced, and maybe loan winger and 2 CM's in if Felli leaves would be my shout.

Demba Ba?

Would be a great signing IMO. Technically much better than I initially give him credit for as well. Can score from outside the box as well as in, something I can't see Jela or Kone doing all season. Is he quick? Can't recall him showing decent pace but could be something I missed.

Someone like Demba Ba would be great for us...a bit of pace, good off the ball movement and a fairly tidy finisher....unfortunately our current "strikers" (Jelavic, Kone, Anichebe and Vellios) don't each have all of these attributes.

Someone like Demba Ba would be great for us...a bit of pace, good off the ball movement and a fairly tidy finisher....unfortunately our current "strikers" (Jelavic, Kone, Anichebe and Vellios) don't each have all of these attributes.

Our 3 strikers between them don't have the attributes listed above.

By the way did anybody see Jelavic's dummy today? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

As one of the fiercest defenders of Jela on here for the last 6-9 months i've finally come to the conclusion hes a ****ing donkey, first season was looking more and more a total fluke where everything just went right for him, the Jela where seeing now is the real thing, get shut to hamburg for whatever they can afford asap get shut of anichebe get shut of velios, get a loan in get a purchase in for half the felli money or more

As one of the fiercest defenders of Jela on here for the last 6-9 months i've finally come to the conclusion hes a ****ing donkey, first season was looking more and more a total fluke where everything just went right for him, the Jela where seeing now is the real thing, get shut to hamburg for whatever they can afford asap get shut of anichebe get shut of velios, get a loan in get a purchase in for half the felli money or more

Welcome to the club mate.

Don't kick yourself for that...I defended him too and thought that he was just having a bad spell and would come good. Now though I think that the "spell" was when he was knocking a few goals in with his first touches....what we are seeing now is possibly the real Jelavic and he's looking like a pretty awful footballer.

Don't kick yourself for that...I defended him too and thought that he was just having a bad spell and would come good. Now though I think that the "spell" was when he was knocking a few goals in with his first touches....what we are seeing now is possibly the real Jelavic and he's looking like a pretty awful footballer.

Agreed mate, thing is im not struck on kone either, not just on seeing him for us but mainly on the games i saw for wigan, think hes a pure ball behind the defence type, and on the current look of the way teams are setting out vs us which is sitting back in numbers we need a different type of forward like, one thats gonna cost a lot which we wont have without selling, so gutted that the jela we all thought was the answer those first four months turned out to be a mirage

Agreed mate, thing is im not struck on kone either, not just on seeing him for us but mainly on the games i saw for wigan, think hes a pure ball behind the defence type, and on the current look of the way teams are setting out vs us which is sitting back in numbers we need a different type of forward like, one thats gonna cost a lot which we wont have without selling, so gutted that the jela we all thought was the answer those first four months turned out to be a mirage

I agree with you on that. I don't rate Kone either. The problem is that we spend £5m on a striker here and then another £5m on a striker there and so on......and all we end up with is £5m strikers. They just aren't going to get results.

We should have saved the £10 million or so that we spent on those two (Jelavic and Kone). We could then have afforded some like Van Wolfswinkel (not necessarily him but someone of that calibre for that sort of price tag). He'll score more goals than Jelavic and Kone combined.

Or, we could have sold Felli and added the £10m to his sale price and we would then be looking at the Negredo's, Soldado's etc. I guess the point I'm making is that if we only have a little to spend it's better just to keep it for now or repay a bit of debt as spending it on a striker is not going to achieve anything as we won't get a decent one for less than £15m ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.