Stoke fan here in peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORFYDUCKMAG

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Hello folks – Stoke fan here in peace.

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more.

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.” For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal:
  1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
  1. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  1. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
  1. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  1. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.

If you can be arsed, thanks for your time.

Take care of yourselves,
Lee Hawthorne @ORFYDUCKMAG

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more.

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.” For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal:
  1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?

1. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?

1. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?

1. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.

Take care of yourselves,
I can see trouble coming your way kid.

I think this image nicely sums up most peoples views of Stoke

BwbyolKIMAAlfYU.jpg

Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?

Post-Pulis you lot struggled to really stamp any sort of appeal. The Britannia was always a hard away game, especially with the home support you used to have.

Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?

Kenwyne Jones was annoyingly good against us.

Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?

The draw at your ground which saw Fellaini banned for 3 games. One of the worst games of football I've ever seen.

In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?

The only club I've ever seen celebrate a throw in.

To answer...

1. I just think of you in terms of anti-football. Every season I'd look up when the derby was, and then after that when we played you and hoped to God it wasn't in December/January, as being bored and cold is a toxic combo. I don't mind practical football and I understand you did what you did to survive and thrive in the league, but it got very, very tedious to watch, even as a neutral. How you'd justify a season ticket to watch that is beyond me.

2. Rory Delap for his throws, Ryan Shawcross for being Ryan Shawcross, Arnautovic for actually being good when he could be arsed. Oh, and Jonathan Walters for being an Evertonian.

3. 2014, Boxing Day, Goodison Park. You won 1-0. As said above, cold and boredom are a terrible combo - cold and being totally frustrated is even worse. We simply didn't play well; I was in the Top Balcony and got blasted in the face by an arctic wind for 80 minutes until I called it a day. And Lee Mason reffed it, so he stopped the game every five seconds to give his fat arse a breather. Grim.

4. Your fans are no different to the norm. "This is a library", <insert generic home chant here> then silent when behind.

5. I have no view on your ground(s).

You're going to get dogs abuse from most people on here that have an opinion on Stoke! When I think of Stoke:

- Jonathan Walters was there long time and he seems like a great guy as well as being a committed footballer and, of course, a Blue

- the Pulis years. I think an underdog is entitled to do what they can (within reason) and I've always had a sneaking regard for Pulis. When you replaced him with Hughes I was disgusted.

- when I was a kid, Stoke was the hardest one to get in the question of 8 English cities with 2 league teams, but I have to admit I always thought Port Vale sounded cooler.

Good luck!

Take care of yourselves,
Your club is used as the barometer of any Everton player's or potential player's ability by asking "can they do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke?" You then went and got yourself relegated so we can't even do that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.