Still..the Best of the Rest..but it could be better !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dushku

Player Valuation: £1m
I know some of these points have been raised in previous forums. But, there's no denying, at this very moment in time..we are the "In-form" team in the league. There maybe a 10 point differential between us and Arsenal and the teams fighting it out for European placings, as things stand , we are the 'Best of the Rest'.

Now this is where things become muddied. Do we count our blessings and feel a huge sense of pride that we've dragged ourselves up by the proverbial boot straps and gone toe to toe with the likes of Manchester City ,United,Chelsea and Tottenham and even reached a semi final, all on our shoestring budget and threadbare squad ? Or do we kick ourselves in the shins and ask "Why didn't we play like this ,all season, why leave it so late,again ?!!".

There's no denying the introduction of Penauts and Jelavic has stimulated the team beyond recognition. Felli's , once lumbering and confused positional play has been reinvigorated so much so, he's now our most potent weapon behind that of Jelavic ! Two years ago, we introduced Landon Donovan upon the Premier League. A savant of football, amongst a myriad of kick and stand still merchants. We all saw the effect he had upon the team. Much like a child who watched Disneyland adverts all through the winter and finally his parents said "We're gong there in June, are you excited ?". Donovan was a whirlwind, his positional play was exceptional and his work rate was an inspiration. Even on his second coming, he was our leading ' goal-assist' . But the addition of Peanuts and Jelavic has once again given the kick up the arse we needed. Even the shock of seeing Gibson on our team sheet, seemed to galvanise a sometime jittery midfield. But why does it take until then for Everton to kick start their season. Now the players have bedded in, does this mean we'll go through the entire process again in August if Jelavic is injured and the Peanuts deal falls through ? Even if they are here, will the sudden impact and 'second season' syndrome take hold, much like it has with Hernandez over at Manchester United ?

Seasons back , we used to play in the Umbro Tournament, against both foreign and home grown teams, we even managed to crock Shearer out for a season during one of them. Everton need to shake things up pre-season, give them an impetus to win. A competitive trophy is an ideal way to start a season, rather than playing Preston North End. Win a trophy, no matter how frivolous would be a stepping stone to go on to win something poignant and real. Lose a tournament to some like Athletic Bilbao, would give you the grit and determination to go out and prove to yourselves, that you can do better ! A small yet needed stimulus is what our team needs, not a pre season playing some random team in Nevada in 110 degree heat, that will do more physical harm than good !

If we had the proper start and belief running through our squad from the get go, no matter how small, it would go along way to giving us that start to the season we've been craving for so long and we know they are capable of ! ;);)

Great post. I think this will be the season that we are as boss in the first half as we are in the second, with Jelavic banging in the goals. I'm not confident we will sign Peinaar however. I don't think Spurs will play ball and let us have him for what we sold him, although a season long loan deal might go through if we're lucky.

Totally agree with your comments about entering a pre-season trophy. I think playing quality teams early can drive us on rather than touring Australia and playing the average teams over there. With the club still not having announced pre-season plans, does this potentially mean they are trying to gain inclusion to something other than a money making tour?

Some good points here although, unfortunately, the euros and olympics will probably mean players missing chunks of pre-season, but then it should be the same for a lot of clubs.

Also in our current financial state we need those money making tours.

if we can strengthen early you never know. however we wont be the only ones who strengthen its a tough league. lets hope we start well

I said on another thread that we need a leader on the pitch. Someone responded that we have Heitinga. I've been thinking and it might be that his prolonged run in the team in his favoured position has galvanized the team to the same extent as Pienaar and Jelavic.
I'm thinking beyond his fine form, which is obviously vital. Football's as much about personality as quality.
The eighties team had quality in abundance but it also had character all over the team. Ratcliffe was the captain but Reid and Gray were also leaders. PsychoPat had a pair. We need more of that. How do you think we finished 4th in 2005.
Stubbs and Weir had character. Carsley and Graveson (for half a season). Cahill at his best when his body responded to the levels he demands. I'm not saying we sign up a load of thugs from pub leagues. Just that we need a bit more bite.

Lets not rewrite history here: we started off this season in not too bad form at all. IIRC the records will show that after the first 6 or 7 games we were started as well as anytime in the past 5/6 seasons. The wheels fell off very quickly though round about late September. It had nothing, therefore, to do with pre-season training routines or pre-season tournaments.

The major problem now is that we have a squad of players basically given permission by the manager to knock off anytime they want during the first part of the season - his constant referencing of our poor starts (and even quiet chuckling about it) sends out a clear message that slow starts are an accepted practice. The players knock off, btw, becausae they cant handle the pressure of doing well - itself down to the manager.

The dubious 'accolade' of best of the rest belong's to Newcastle who have been head and shoulders above us all season long.

lets just hope jelly's goals can save us at the start of next season, tbh in most of the early games, although we wernt playing brilliant, we were still creating quite a few chances, enough to put teams like QPR away, and every team seemed to score their only chance against us, we defo missed that goalscorer. im all for a more challengine pre-season though

The dubious 'accolade' of best of the rest belong's to Newcastle who have been head and shoulders above us all season long.

"I know some of these points have been raised in previous forums. But, there's no denying, at this very moment in time..we are the "In-form" team in the league. There maybe a 10 point differential between us and Arsenal and the teams fighting it out for European placings, as things stand , we are the 'Best of the Rest'. "

This is why I put in a clear distinction between the clubs vying for Champions League, Europa League and Premier League Championship. Once you whittle away those elements,of which Newcastle are indeed included, your left with the chasing pack. Seeing as there is a clear 10 point gap between us and those groups - we are indeed leading that 'pack', thus making us at this moment in time, "The Best of the Rest". :);)

Come back when Fellaini's signed for Chelsea at 23:59 on deadline day -__-

"I know some of these points have been raised in previous forums. But, there's no denying, at this very moment in time..we are the "In-form" team in the league. There maybe a 10 point differential between us and Arsenal and the teams fighting it out for European placings, as things stand , we are the 'Best of the Rest'. "

This is why I put in a clear distinction between the clubs vying for Champions League, Europa League and Premier League Championship. Once you whittle away those elements,of which Newcastle are indeed included, your left with the chasing pack. Seeing as there is a clear 10 point gap between us and those groups - we are indeed leading that 'pack', thus making us at this moment in time, "The Best of the Rest". :);)

If there's a 10 point gap and we've only got three to play were bot really a chasing pack to be fair. I never used to mind the best of the rest stuff when there were four sides dominating the CL places and we were just outside banging our heads on the glass, but now it's gone a bit mad when people still use it for coming 7th.

We're currently the best side outside the European places which means nothing at all to be honest.

Sorry for being a misery guts. I can't shake the Wembley dissapointment TBH.

lets just hope jelly's goals can save us at the start of next season, tbh in most of the early games, although we wernt playing brilliant, we were still creating quite a few chances, enough to put teams like QPR away, and every team seemed to score their only chance against us, we defo missed that goalscorer. im all for a more challengine pre-season though

I agree with this. WE battered QPR tbh and dominated Villa pretty much for the whole 90 minutes. After that we had a run of four defeats in 5 games but they were against teams we might be expected to lose to anyway.

Not helped by the ref in the City or Liverpool games and we were far from outclassed by United or Chelsea. We were just unlucky in the way the fixtures fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.