Steve Hitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brands problem was simply managers in charge who where at direct odds with his own ideas - it only works if the DoF and manager are on the same page, or at least in the sane book.

Then an owner who buys players for a manager and a DoF who have different ideas
With the best will in the world, the obvious conclusion to draw is that brands was happy to take the money and not do his job. I’m not saying I blame him for that but this idea that his hands were tied grates a bit. The situation was clear from the outside about 6 months in, it may well have been clear internally from the outset.

That doesnt really have anything to do with dof. He was called dithering dave even when he was at Everton. But i prefered him that way because he knew what he wanted. He didnt just buy for the sake of buying.
Its a fair shout about the job now. But it all depends on who has final say. If its not the manager then i will always find it quite bizare.
I think the manager should always have the power of veto if he really doesn't like what's being considered. But given the short nature of managerial reigns it's sensible to have someone looking at longer scale recruitment rather than entrusting everything to a person who might only be at a club for 2 years and will naturally focus on the here and now with one eye on their CV.

Even during the Ferguson / Wenger and to an extent Moyes era's they were all seen as exceptions rather than the norm in terms of length of time at a club. Outside of that was probably a similar turnover of managers that we see today with the odd outlier such as Watford who seem to follow an Italian model.

The separate recruitment is also useful for bringing in younger players to develop in the U23s or younger. A DOF could also be used to push forward younger players to be included in senior squad training as again it's seemingly harder for managers to keep tab on U23 games and training given the much larger senior squad sizes and commitments now.

With the best will in the world, the obvious conclusion to draw is that brands was happy to take the money and not do his job. I’m not saying I blame him for that but this idea that his hands were tied grates a bit. The situation was clear from the outside about 6 months in, it may well have been clear internally from the outset.

100%. I'm not allowed to do my job. I'll just keep that quiet for....oooh 3 years. When the spotlight was put on him he didnt like it.
Fraud or not at his job is a fair debate, never worked outside the netherlands mind so i dont know why its presumed as a given by some he was so great.
But what a cushy number he had for 3 years here. Lets see if he goes elsewhere and shows Everton what they missed out on. I have a feeling it isnt going to go exactly like that.

If you’re the bloke who unearthed Modric then you can basically sign duds for the rest of your career. Midfielders don’t come better than him.

I think the manager should always have the power of veto if he really doesn't like what's being considered. But given the short nature of managerial reigns it's sensible to have someone looking at longer scale recruitment rather than entrusting everything to a person who might only be at a club for 2 years and will naturally focus on the here and now with one eye on their CV.

Even during the Ferguson / Wenger and to an extent Moyes era's they were all seen as exceptions rather than the norm in terms of length of time at a club. Outside of that was probably a similar turnover of managers that we see today with the odd outlier such as Watford who seem to follow an Italian model.

The separate recruitment is also useful for bringing in younger players to develop in the U23s or younger. A DOF could also be used to push forward younger players to be included in senior squad training as again it's seemingly harder for managers to keep tab on U23 games and training given the much larger senior squad sizes and commitments now.

Again it all depends who it is. You could go through 3/4 managers because results are not good enough. And one dof. The dof who brought these players to the club where the results are not happening. And what makes it even more bizare is so many managers are ex players with a high level career. They're walking while the low profile career dof who's in charge of recruitment stays.
I dont think i will ever warm to it. And i think the whole brands thing put me off it even more. Seeing this 60yr old fella in his skinny jeans and fake tan poncing around Everton and having absolutely no idea what he actualy did.
Not for me.

If the Director of Football can do his job with outside influences and he communicates with Lampard, it would be successful.

The key word is IF.

I know there’s been comments throughout the thread linking him with Kia Joorabchian but I’m yet to actually see any evidence of this or any reputable source state it.

It looks like Hitchen was a scout for one of his years at QPR during the time Joorabchian worked as an “advisor” for Mark Huges but that was back in 2013 and Hitchen was just a club scout back them, I haven’t been able to find anything linking the two of them together.

Reactions: kev
Reading that Guardian article doesn't fill me with confidence, I'd rather have the fella from Brighton. That being said, it doesn't matter if whoever gets the gig has no authority.

In my opinion, this appointment, and how it is managed, is the tipping point for this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.