Staying Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an absolute sickener and confirms to me what I have felt how we were losing out. It is not always down to the players either, there have been daft late substitutions which have also cost us dear. The subject of tactics comes into play as well with decisions apparently being made to defend and hold out which resulted in the opposition gaining the upper hand when we should have been taking the game to them.

I hope Mr Moyes looks at sky sports and shows the players as well. We would have been looking at definte Euro place and a hell of a lot more cash for our league position.

We could also have given the V sign to those who think we are a small club.

the only staying power i want to hear about is that of....

moyes

..............howard
hibbert..yobo..lescott..valente
ARTETA..cahill.FERNANDES.????
.....vaughan..johnson

squad: turner..neville..carsley..mcfadden..stubbs..osman..anichebe

outs :- wright, pistone, naysmith, meyde, beattie

unknown quantities:- vidarsson, silva, ruddy

Back on topic, i wonder how many we would have scored in the last 10 minutes if the FA gave different orders to referees that meant Everton FC were actually allowed to be awarded a penalty when and infringement has been commit by the opposition.

Interesting stats there. It's also interesting to note that if you stopped games at half time that we'd be 3rd in the table so we are certainly better in the first half than the second. Also of note is that we've scored most of our goals in the final 10 minutes (9 in that period, compared with a next best of 5).

So on the one hand we're doing better in the first 45/80 minutes of the match, yet we score most in the final 10 minutes. We also score roughly twice the number of goals in the second half compared to the first, yet we seem to drop points in the second half.

Seems to fly in the face of the defensive strategies Moyes usually deploys in the second half. I was inclined to think that due to the small squad each player has to play more so we simply get more tired than teams with larger squads. Who knows.

From watching the games though Bruce it seems we sink deep and try to soak up pressure and catch them on the break in the final 10-15 minutes.
Sometimes it works, and it is a good strategy as it only really permits longshots that Howard has been able to cope with but its not good for your heart if you are watching the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.