Squad core (Captain/Playmaker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
Martinez has made the point several times about our future 'core'. I think when he joined he must have had a 5 season plan based upon current squad and funds available each season.

Were coming into season 3 now and it looks like a MAJOR squad overhaul has been successful giving us this long term core:

GK - / Robles
LB - Garbutt
LCB - Galloway
RCB - Stones / Browning
RB- Coleman
CM- Besic / McCarthy
CM - Barkley / Cleverley
LW -
AM -
RW - Deulofeu
FW - Lukaku

We also have players like Ledson and Henen who should come up into the squad over the next 3 seasons to bulk it out at least. They may look like kids above today but in 3 seasons coleman would be 29 and Galloway 22 with the others in between.

As is clear, we need a GK, LW and AM(playmaker) to add to the list so its likely that the LW/AM may be the same player as the other centre midfielders can play a variety of positions.

I think though we lack a real leader there, maybe Stones or McCarthy? The best captains for me have been:
Keane who was a beast
Beckham led by example
Terry has been a winner

Who is there who can stand out to be the future captain?

Also we dont have a 'Cantona' type, someone like him, Kinkladze,Juninho,Bergkamp who can turn the game in our favour.

That i imagine would be the playmaker Martinez will sign from the continent as he has stated (NOT CLEVERLEY!!!)

Could the leader and playmaker be the same player Martinez would sign this summer or would McCarthy or Stones be able to take the armband?

For me, it's very exciting to see such a wide variety of talent from front to back and ignoring the Goalkeeper position it seems that we just lack one major player to knit all together but who is also a leader.

Stones / McCarthy may be future leaders in defence and midfield but we have no one further forward.

Chelsea had Terry / Lampard and Drogba
Man Utd had a spine of leaders also

I think this is the dynamic we are missing and whilst it's easy for me to pick out a variety of players with different styles in a 'playmaker' type role:

Xavi/Pirlo
Bergkamp/Cantona
Juninho/Kinkladze

The thing is times have changed and there are very few players like this these days (i know of anyway).

We also have a lot of players off in the next 12 months:
Howard / McGeady/Naismith/Barry - not good enough.
Hibbert/Gibson/Osman/Pienaar/Kone - contracts up
Mirallas - unsettled

Thats a huge amount out...so its extremely exciting to see how Martinez sees the crucial positions to add to the core, not only in buying a player (see other threads) but also the STYLE of the player and the LEADERSHIP they bring to the team along with other leaders such as Stones and McCarthy.

This will define the team.

your Everton threads are ace, Zatara...keep it up :cheers:

Seriously there is absolutely no difference to the misguided rubbish you're writing there Zat and anything posted on RAWK.
except on RAWK they be writing about how their team couldn't fail to win everything.

Zatara on the other hand is pointing out the massive task Bobby Brown Shoes has undertaken to evolve the squad and the bits yet to be finished off in the grand plan.
At no point does he make any claims about the success or start looking to hire any victory buses.

except on RAWK they be writing about how their team couldn't fail to win everything.

Zatara on the other hand is pointing out the massive task Bobby Brown Shoes has undertaken to evolve the squad and the bits yet to be finished off in the grand plan.
At no point does he make any claims about the success or start looking to hire any victory buses.
He's almost there lid, he's one bad threadophile.

Martinez has made the point several times about our future 'core'. I think when he joined he must have had a 5 season plan based upon current squad and funds available each season.

Were coming into season 3 now and it looks like a MAJOR squad overhaul has been successful giving us this long term core:

GK - / Robles
LB - Garbutt
LCB - Galloway
RCB - Stones / Browning
RB- Coleman
CM- Besic / McCarthy
CM - Barkley / Cleverley
LW -
AM -
RW - Deulofeu
FW - Lukaku

We also have players like Ledson and Henen who should come up into the squad over the next 3 seasons to bulk it out at least. They may look like kids above today but in 3 seasons coleman would be 29 and Galloway 22 with the others in between.

As is clear, we need a GK, LW and AM(playmaker) to add to the list so its likely that the LW/AM may be the same player as the other centre midfielders can play a variety of positions.

I think though we lack a real leader there, maybe Stones or McCarthy? The best captains for me have been:
Keane who was a beast
Beckham led by example
Terry has been a winner

Who is there who can stand out to be the future captain?

Also we dont have a 'Cantona' type, someone like him, Kinkladze,Juninho,Bergkamp who can turn the game in our favour.

That i imagine would be the playmaker Martinez will sign from the continent as he has stated (NOT CLEVERLEY!!!)

Could the leader and playmaker be the same player Martinez would sign this summer or would McCarthy or Stones be able to take the armband?
That a very young looking side, lad.

If anything its the opposite really (like you highlight)

So many players to replace in the next 12months (already lost distin/ alcaraz)...big task but a positive one for us moving forward and a good opportunity to mould his squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.