Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti to Sky Sports: "We didn't play well, Southampton were better than us and they deserved to win. Sometimes you are not at your best, it came after a really good run for us, now we have to look forward with the same spirit and belief.

"We tried to get back into the game, we had some good control after half-time.

"The red card was a joke, it was not intentional, for sure it was not violent. Maybe it was a yellow. Maybe all this talk all week against Pickford, against Richarlison, affected the decision and if so it's not right, it's not fair. We will appeal, for sure.

"I told the players winter is coming and we will have to react."

Ralph Hasenhuttl says his side didn't target Godfrey "No, it was a coincidence that we played more on this side. It's more important that you're dangerous on every side, flexibility is the key. We lured them a little bit and played through the lines."

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl to BBC Sport: "My team did a fantastic job today, from the first moment you could feel that the plan was working and the guys were sticking to it. It was one of the best first halves so far for us.

"I was always convinced that Che Adams' time would come, sometimes it takes a long time to adapt to this level but he was always learning and working hard and he gets what he deserves now.

"We did not talk once this week about losing 9-0 [a year ago today], that is a topic for you guys, but it was important what we did after that defeat. Now we don't even think about it any more, I don't care."

Saints manager Ralph Hasenhuttl to Sky Sports: "It was a tough win against a strong side but we had good game management. It's not so easy mentally to be 2-0 up, things can change quickly, you know this. It was one of our best performances at home.

"We played through the lines, the second goal was beautiful and we really calmed the game down. I didn't see a lot of chances for Everton today.

"The two guys up front did a fantastic job, we were at our highest level today all over the pitch. We must always play at that level to win games, when we have a week to train together it often looks this good."

Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse on Sky Sports: "We knew it was a good challenge for us, they came here unbeaten and we didn't like that feeling. Our confidence was high.

"We were aggressive, we believe in what we are doing and we have the quality to go and score goals.

"We'll take a 2-0 win at home all day long. I want to try and score a few more goals and that's the demand of the manager. We highlighted their key players and adpated our game to nullify that threat, and we did that well today.

"This gives us a lot of confidence, we weren't really troubled."

Can't argue with any of that.

An absolutely rubbish day but with the injuries, suspension and James out of gas, it felt inevitable in the end. Perfect s---storm to come up against a bang in form Soton.
Truth is we have a great 1st 11 but severely lacking depth.
Then again, that Siggy shot goes in, different game. The 2 swift goals knackered us, the disallowed 3rd probably shredded some nerves, Iwobi was a dead end and by the 2nd half it was all too late. And Soton were quick and incisive while we'd fanny about for aeons just to get the ball 3m upfield.
Stuff it though. Need to take it on the chin and bounce back. UTFT.

Disappointing but not totally unexpected performance today. Southampton were the side that looked like they were up for a game while too many of our boys looked like they weren't too interested. Missed Richie obviously, DCL can't do anything if he doesn't get any service, and we can't keep giving the ball away and expect a result.

I went for Anthony Gordon for MoM, he was one player who looked like he wanted to get ahead, unfortunately he had no help.

Not a red card in my opinion however bad it looked. Accidental coming together of two players running full pelt in my opinion. Not the only strange thing Kevin (not our) Friend came out with, from moving the ball 3 inches after James had spent 5 minutes setting it up for a free kick, to his lectures to Mina and DCL for something unknown.

Pickford played okay until 2 minutes from time when he decided we hadn't had enough excitement and tried to dribble round Ings outside the area.

One positive point, Danny Ings didn't score against us.

Not long before the lads can dress up as Santa’s elves for Blue Chrimbo festivities, visits to orphanages and wet nursing homes etc etc. That might provide the lift in spirits that the squad needs. (I expect Xmas Mina will be particularly looking forward to it!).

Disappointing but not totally unexpected performance today. Southampton were the side that looked like they were up for a game while too many of our boys looked like they weren't too interested. Missed Richie obviously, DCL can't do anything if he doesn't get any service, and we can't keep giving the ball away and expect a result.

I went for Anthony Gordon for MoM, he was one player who looked like he wanted to get ahead, unfortunately he had no help.

Not a red card in my opinion however bad it looked. Accidental coming together of two players running full pelt in my opinion. Not the only strange thing Kevin (not our) Friend came out with, from moving the ball 3 inches after James had spent 5 minutes setting it up for a free kick, to his lectures to Mina and DCL for something unknown.

Pickford played okay until 2 minutes from time when he decided we hadn't had enough excitement and tried to dribble round Ings outside the area.

One positive point, Danny Ings didn't score against us.
Does Carlo start Gordon next week? I hope to see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.