Soft defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

markDee

Player Valuation: £2.5m
We've been looking for tough tackling midfielders since for years. We now have 3: McCarthy, Barry, and Besic.

What we don't have is nasty, hard defenders. Jags and stones are a good partnership but they lack that mean streak that every other team in the leage have.

Distin's game was all about pace (he's past it) Stones is great at playing out from the back, but is still young and learning. Jags isn't good at either and all 3 are poor/average in the air.

Time to train them to get nasty or bring someone in who will lead from the back.

I think theres two ways to have a solid defence..

A-- Rio/Vidic - Pique/Puyol.

One passer and one nasty player.

B -- 2 Passers to keep the team always on the front foot so the opposition cant commit men forward or risk being hit on the counter.

We have the passer in Stones. Need a partner for him.

I think theres two ways to have a solid defence..

A-- Rio/Vidic - Pique/Puyol.

One passer and one nasty player.

B -- 2 Passers to keep the team always on the front foot so the opposition cant commit men forward or risk being hit on the counter.

We have the passer in Stones. Need a partner for him.
Shawcross would be ideal,not that we'd get him like.

Tough tackling these days invariably gets misread by refs and a yellow/red often follows. I don't believe players are coached to play that way any more

Shawcross would be ideal,not that we'd get him like.
I'm not the biggest fan of 'Yard Dog' Shawcross, but I'm sure he's one of those players you love to hate, unless he plays for your club!

A bit like Suarez and I would have said Barry last year, as many Blues have turned against him.

Partnered next to Stones or Jags, you know you'd get someone capable in the air (offensively and defensively) and offers grit and strength.

He'd cajole the other lads as well. He would still be a yard dog, but he'd be 'our' yard dog.

You mean one of the best defences last year that has miraculously left them this year

Yes you can't argue with that stat.

However there were games where the opposition attackers had mares...missing nailed on chances after we'd been cut open - Chelsea home, spurs home both should have been 3 up by the break and Norwich home when they missed two sitters before Barry opened the scoring.

If you are going to use goals against as a stat then I am just saying that other variables may contribute to the outcome.

It's not just about the back 4, top teams defend from the front. Perhaps the fact we don't press as much this year as we dis last year.

I'm not the biggest fan of 'Yard Dog' Shawcross, but I'm sure he's one of those players you love to hate, unless he plays for your club!

A bit like Suarez and I would have said Barry last year, as many Blues have turned against him.

Partnered next to Stones or Jags, you know you'd get someone capable in the air (offensively and defensively) and offers grit and strength.

He'd cajole the other lads as well. He would still be a yard dog, but he'd be 'our' yard dog.
next to stones for me,beauty and the beast!

Yes you can't argue with that stat.

However there were games where the opposition attackers had mares...missing nailed on chances after we'd been cut open - Chelsea home, spurs home both should have been 3 up by the break and Norwich home when they missed two sitters before Barry opened the scoring.

If you are going to use goals against as a stat then I am just saying that other variables may contribute to the outcome.

It's not just about the back 4, top teams defend from the front. Perhaps the fact we don't press as much this year as we dis last year.
100% agree, defence starts from the front, our lack of pressing/closing down crosses and charging down shots has been awful this year. I agree that Distin is on his last legs but apart from him you could put any defenders in this side and they would struggle.

The two DMs are a massive issue

Barry providers zero cover to an ageing CB pair, McCarthy is hardly fit and Barkley isn't that type of player

Besic has been that type but is a bit rash and finds himself booked which hinders you in that role

Get two hard hitting, quick players in that role and we would look a lot stronger at the back

The two DMs are a massive issue

Barry providers zero cover to an ageing CB pair, McCarthy is hardly fit and Barkley isn't that type of player

Besic has been that type but is a bit rash and finds himself booked which hinders you in that role

Get two hard hitting, quick players in that role and we would look a lot stronger at the back

LOL NO

Besic and McCarthy is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.