Win the FA Cup or finish 4th in the Premiership

• Win the FA Cup

Votes: 218 74.1%
  • Finish in 4th place

Votes: 76 25.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Champions League is big time. It's what matters these days. What attracts the best players. Even Moshiri has stated the importance of CL compared to cup wins.

Anyone can win a cup (Wigan). Not anyone can get to Champions League.

I wouldn't mind if the FA cup had the cache that it did when I was a lad but it doesn't any more.

CL every time (and every season) for me (except if we didn't progress in it when I'd take the cup win, fickle as I am).

A very simple poll...

Would you rather Everton win the FA Cup or finish 4th in the Premiership.
Anything BUT simple.
What you want Vs what you need.
Transient Glory Vs Filthy Lucre...+ profile, recognition, 'progress'.

Went with the Glory obvs.

*in best top gear manner...let's roll the tape and see how it went...

Year II; Win FA Cup
Get to final of Europa Cup - lose - Everton That
Qualify for CL anyway via league position.
davek plays all usual cards.

Year III; Win C.L.
But do a Leicester - without getting relegated though.
Koeman signs new 3yr. Deal in tunnel before final
Was this procrastination a reason for poor league form?

Erwin missing from open top bus, eagle eyed cameraman spots mark over Ron's left eye.
Later that evening Resignation announced, Unsworth appointed Assistant Manager.

Year IV of the Moshir / Koeman axis sees us as a Genuine European Contender.
Lose CL Semi - finish 3rd.

At end of June Koeman moves to Barca in worst kept secret deal ever

Unsworth appointed on 1yr. deal

'Why we need Martinez back' thread posted as wind up...runs for 14 pages before Mods lock it due to @davek playing all usual cards.
'Banhammer' fired off like one of those truck mounted Russian multiple rocket things (needs gig.)

Year V; Bramley Moore to open at start of Year VI.

Feel free to take it on from here

Anything BUT simple.
What you want Vs what you need.
Transient Glory Vs Filthy Lucre...+ profile, recognition, 'progress'.

Went with the Glory obvs.

*in best top gear manner...let's roll the tape and see how it went...

Year II; Win FA Cup
Get to final of Europa Cup - lose - Everton That
Qualify for CL anyway via league position.

Year III; Win C.L.
But do a Leicester - without getting relegated though.
Koeman signs new 3yr. Deal in tunnel before final
Was this procrastination a reason for poor league form?

Erwin missing from open top bus, eagle eyed cameraman spots mark over Ron's left eye.
Later that evening Resignation announced, Unsworth appointed Assistant Manager.

Year IV of the Moshir / Koeman axis sees us as a Genuine European Contender.
Lose CL Semi - finish 3rd.

At end of June Koeman moves to Barca in worst kept secret deal ever

Unsworth appointed on 1yr. deal

'Why we need Martinez back' thread posted as wind up...runs for 14 pages before Mods lock it due to @davek playing all usual cards.
'Banhammer' fired off like one of those truck mounted Russian multiple rocket things (needs gig.)

Year V; Bramley Moore to open at start of Year VI.

Feel free to take it on from here

Degsy released from solitary confinement but stripped of his "DaveK is God" t-shirt and told to remain on medication indefinitely. ;);)

Had a bet with my ex brother in law (Arsenal) at my lads 21st earlier today that we would win the league before Arsenal would, and the FA Cup before my eldest, 23. is married.

Fully expect to collect on both.
I think you're in for a shock.

A very simple poll...

Would you rather Everton win the FA Cup or finish 4th in the Premiership.
Has someone put the clock back and we're still in it?. When's the quarter final draw?.

Voted for F A Cup to bring an end to our drought. But thereafter, CL qualification every time. We need to build our profile again and I think the trophies will look after themselves after that. May not be every year but 1 every 3/4 years would be OK by me, like it used to be in the good old days.

CL is where modern glory and riches are so 4th over the FA Cup. FA Cup is fun if your team have nothing else to play for otherwise, m'eh
Didn't notice that happening in 2005, tbh.

If we aren't in the hunt for the FA Cup (and we haven't reached the LC final) our season ends in January, as it did this season.

I honestly dont get that 33 people out there wouldn't bite hands off for a trophy. That's pretty blase for people that have never sniffed a trophy for 22 years and counting.

My answer to this question has now changed, a few years ago it would have been the cup every time but Champions League football now means so much both in terms of money and prestige I would choose 4th place.
A Champions League spot would bring in money to buy players and it would mean players wanting to come to the club.
I see CL as improvement and the opportunity to improve more, to win the cup would be fantastic, to win anything would be fantastic, but it would be a one off that may not bring future rewards.

I went for the Champions League place. If you then qualify to the group stage you can start to attract the better players more easily as you can offer them the pinnacle of football, which will then push the club forward and give us a stepping stone to more greater things. Winning the FA Cup would be fantastic but it's unlikely to help us as much with bringing in the best players than finishing in the top 4 would.

The fact that there is even a debate over this shows how much the stock of the FA Cup has fallen in recent years. Even in '95 there was much more prestige associated with a cup win, but today when even Championship sides routinely field B teams for FA Cup games there is no doubt it is tarnished in comparison.

Trophies=success.
Therefore it should always be trophies, including the League Cup, which I think we are crazy not to try harder for.

Champions league does NOTHING for a club getting through the 1 season.

What did it do for Liverpool? Keep Suarez at the club? Attract Alexis Sanchez and other world class players?

What about Leicester?

Fact is to benefit from the top 4 you need to finish in it relatively consistently or at the very least 1 every 3 or 4 seasons.

An FA Cup over a solitary top 4 finish any day of the week for me. Would love to see us lift a trophy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.