Show me the money

Status
Not open for further replies.
That paints today's picture. I'm sick of going on about it, but it is being reported that we are due to receive somewhere in the region of an extra 120 million over the next 3 seasons, which changes the outlook considerably.

We will stop making a loss until the extra money has been spent. Spent on improving Everton!

All the TV money and all the proceeds from player sales should be handed straight over to David Moyes to spend on squad improvement, imho.

Fellaini sale + next seasons TV money should equal about 60 million. Fellaini will be off the wage bill as will the likes of Neville. Then you have another extra 40 million coming in the next season, and another extra 40 million coming in the season after that.

Yes, all those around us will be trying to strengthen as well, but so are we, we are in a good position to strengthen ourselves.

We have the tenth highest wage bill in the league and it's 79% of our turnover. We increase our wage bill by a full 40 million with the tv money so no net money spent on transfers, no debt paid off just that and assuming no other club does the same and it'll still be only the 6th biggest wage bill in the league, so the top 5 will still be able to poach our players and afford better players than us because they're paying more.

And that's if no-one else uses that 40 million for wages.

Last edited:
That's just not true though.

You don't need a 'sugar daddy' to improve a business.

In a general business sense I agree, but in terms of a football club, I don't see how were all of a sudden going to start raking in the money without massive investment in the first place

In a general business sense I agree, but in terms of a football club, I don't see how were all of a sudden going to start raking in the money without massive investment in the first place

We don't need to rake in money, just improve our existing deals.

Aston Villa, a club on the brink of relegation have better kit and shirt sponsorship deals than we do. Our deal with Chang is a joke. One example.

The Kitbag deal. It has absolutely zero benefit to Everton Football Club, yet we persist in renewing it every time it comes to run out.

We increase our wage bill by a full 40 million with the tv money so no net money spent on transfers, no debt paid off just that and assuming no other club does the same and it'll still be only the 6th biggest wage bill in the league, so the top 5 will still be able to poach our players and afford better players than us because they're paying more.

And that's if no-one else uses that 40 million for wages and that the league standard wage isn't going to increase now everyone knows we have more money.

Until we can pay the money the top clubs can we can't either attract or hold onto the best players and therefore we can't compete at the top. This TV money does not change that.

We have the tenth highest wage bill in the league and it's 79% of our turnover. We increase our wage bill by a full 40 million with the tv money so no net money spent on transfers, no debt paid off just that and assuming no other club does the same and it'll still be only the 6th biggest wage bill in the league, so the top 5 will still be able to poach our players and afford better players than us because they're paying more.

And that's if no-one else uses that 40 million for wages.

I'm not necessarily saying use all the TV money on wages, not least because the FFP prevents clubs from doing so. I'd be happy for most of the money to go on transfer fees.

Please don't tell me that the point you are trying to make relates to the absolutely infallible belief that a greater spend on wages guarantees greater success?

There's still going to be an extra 120 million coming in over the next 3 years, and that's without taking player sales into consideration. That's a lot of money, if it's spent wisely it will make a MASSIVE difference!

Wages won't be 79% of our turnover once the new money comes in, not until we start spending it on improving Everton.

Until we can pay the money the top clubs can we can't either attract or hold onto the best players and therefore we can't compete at the top. This TV money does not change that.

I can't believe that you believe that.

Andy Caroll cost 35million and is on god knows how much and he an average pile of wank.

Seamus Coleman cost less than a council house and is a good Premier League player.

Football is littered with examples of how greater expenditure does not guarantee success. So no, this extra money won't guarantee success, but it would be good to see Moyes be given the opportunity to spend some proper money. And I for one have faith in him spending it wisely. Wisely enough to bridge the small gap (in points terms) to the top 4.

Our team is full of players capable of playing at top 4 clubs. Some of them are even better than their top 4 counterparts.

If we do sell them, then we get adequate compensation.

Christ, if a cash injection of an extra 120 million over the next 3 years doesn't represent an opportunity to make ground and possibly even overtake our competitors, then I don't know what does.

We increase our wage bill by a full 40 million with the tv money so no net money spent on transfers, no debt paid off just that and assuming no other club does the same and it'll still be only the 6th biggest wage bill in the league, so the top 5 will still be able to poach our players and afford better players than us because they're paying more.

And that's if no-one else uses that 40 million for wages and that the league standard wage isn't going to increase now everyone knows we have more money.

That can't even happen though...

We could invest our 40m in the development of cybernetic organisms that look human then piss the league with our new 470 goal a season striker Arty Deetwoo.

We could invest our 40m in the development of cybernetic organisms that look human then piss the league with our new 470 goal a season striker Arty Deetwoo.

If it can get pass the FA then I am all for it.

Although you would have to consider the impact it might have on the human race, wouldn't want our new striker to start taking over the world or anything.

Please don't tell me that the point you are trying to make relates to the absolutely infallible belief that a greater spend on wages guarantees greater success?

Of course it doesn't. We've got one of the best 6 squads in the league and we're only paying them the tenth highest wages.

The RS and Arsenal for instance vastly overpay their players. So do Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa etc.

What I am saying is that the gap between the wages we pay (and so the players we can afford) and the wages the very top teams in this league pay is big enough that this 40 million isn't going to mean we can bring in a rooney or a van persie or a toure or a mata.

Nor is it going to mean that fellaini or mirallas won't bugger off at the first chance.

I want everton to win the league. This TV money will not make that happen and doesn't change the fact that we need board change for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.