Should we sign Lukaku's replacement in January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is top strikers cost around £15 mil minimum these days which we havent the money for in January considering we still need a CM and perhaps CB at a push if heitinga goes.

I would rather use the leftovers of the felliani money on those 2 said positions, flog jelly and and bring in a decent back up striker for that cash, and use the summer TV cash to bring in lukaku/his replacement with baines going if need be to fund such a deal.

Lukaku's relationship with Chelsea feels like it's broke down, almost irreparably. We should be watching to see if Chelsea go for a marquee striker signing in January and, if so, we should be breaking the bank to bring Lukaku in permanently, as I get the feeling he really loves what Everton is about.

I remember watching him in the Super Cup final and he looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders, as in he'd never smile again.

You just never know... I think we've got enough to call their bluff through January without pressing the panic button and risking another Kone-esque signing early doors. I know it's a long-shot but if we can get together £20m-ish... as I say, you never know.

Get Baines off to United and offer that money plus whatever magically may be left over from the summer for Lukaku on a permanent deal.

I've seen enough from Oviedo to realise we can easily move on from Baines, especialy if, as I suspect and was leaked by Stubbs anyway, that he wants to join United.

I'd happily trade 29-year-old Leighton Baines for Romelu Lukaku.

And yes, sadly this is the mentality we now have under Kenwright. Sell sell sell sell.

In all fairness O don't think he'll be here next season. So with Jelavic seemingly finished and Kone not too promising (yet), should we be signing a boss striker now for when the inevitable happens in the summer?

I wouldn't be writing Kone off just yet.

I mean, if he gets back to full fitness in time for next season.

Bob fetched him here for a reason and now that we aere playing the way he wants us to play then I for one am prepared to give Kone the benefit.

That said, I am all for splashing out big on a top striker.....but not in January.

If we can qualify for the CL then I think it will give us the funds to actually buy Romelu from Chelsea as I don't think him and Mourinho are going to relish working together.

So I wouldn't be 100% sure Lukaku won't be an Everton player this time next year.

And if we can't get him....then break the bank for a proven goalscorer.

Last edited:
*enters FM mode* There's a couple of decent strikers knocking around in the Bundesliga. Max Kruse of Monchengladbach - 25 yo, Roberto Firmino and Kevin Volland of Hoffenheim who are both young. Volland though would command a large fee, looks like Dortmund are going to replace Lewandowski with him.

I think the next everton striker will be someone the majority of EPL only fans like myself havent heard of. Michu was bought for £2m and a lot had never heard of him - I think we'll end up doing something like that

I can see a striker coming in, in January. Depending how the results go Jelavic might be getting 20 minutes towards the end of games now, particularly this weekend v Fulham.

Fulham may need to sign a striker if Berbatov goes, Meulensteen will know how deadly he can be costing Utd the title with 2 goals in the 4-4 draw. They also have money and Jelavic will be eager to impress for first team football else where.

I think another years loan will be on the cards for Lukaku, he's periphery at Chelsea. and we may have Mourinho interest in Rooney to thank.

Mourinho: immediate success, not reliant on youth, likes a marquee player.

Rooney: Doesn't like Moyes/Ferguson, potential of no Champions league next season, contract running down.

Could be a good situation for ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.