Should we have built the new stadium? Poll

Should we be building the new stadium?

• Yes - It had to be done

• No - This was not the time

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never really understood the new stadium tbh. We're spending ~ £750 million in order to generate an extra £10 million per season, so won't even pay that investment back for another 75 years. It's madness.

Couple that with the fact that even after spending such a huge sum, we'll still be left with a stadium that has a lower capacity than practically all of the teams who we're trying to make up ground on.
I am awful at maths but what I good at is realising this is just not the case. Yes, 10 million, but Everton are actually smart enough to realise at the moment they probably generate next to nothing on an actual match day. Nobody wants to go inside the stadium until about 10 minutes before off because there’s no wifi, it’s generally over crowded, the ale is weak, there’s just nothing going on. This ground will draw people in because all of the things I have mentioned should be sorted, therefore this will draw in more money.

At the moment I never buy a beer in the ground. I will nip the winslow or an offy and stand in the street and have a few. This in modern day football is awful from a business. Everton will want us to buy our beer from them, and rightly so.

We will also potentially have a better ability to ask for better sponsorship’s, kit makers, stadium rights etc etc. If it is all done correct then it certainly shouldn’t be 10m extra a year, it should be a lot more.

No we should of got things like team, youth system, scouting all in order before any stadium was considered all it’s done is bleed us dry and put more pressure on us as a club. Financially it’s took money out the club while putting nothing in for best part of 3/4 years probably by the time we’re in it. We can have a nice shiny new stadium but will be the same crap we have to put up with every week watching the likes of mykolenko unable to control a pass and even more fans in for Onana to cheerlead to, worst thing is still a chance we don’t even own the stadium and paying rent to be in it 😂 great job moshiri thanks.

A simple yes..

Everything about BMD has been an will be a positive achievement for the club,
Other then the owner behind the project.

And sorry to say, the tragedy that occurred during the build...😔 💐

I am awful at maths but what I good at is realising this is just not the case. Yes, 10 million, but Everton are actually smart enough to realise at the moment they probably generate next to nothing on an actual match day. Nobody wants to go inside the stadium until about 10 minutes before off because there’s no wifi, it’s generally over crowded, the ale is weak, there’s just nothing going on. This ground will draw people in because all of the things I have mentioned should be sorted, therefore this will draw in more money.

At the moment I never buy a beer in the ground. I will nip the winslow or an offy and stand in the street and have a few. This in modern day football is awful from a business. Everton will want us to buy our beer from them, and rightly so.

We will also potentially have a better ability to ask for better sponsorship’s, kit makers, stadium rights etc etc. If it is all done correct then it certainly shouldn’t be 10m extra a year, it should be a lot more.
Hard to put a price on what the new stadium does for our image

I've never really understood the new stadium tbh. We're spending ~ £750 million in order to generate an extra £10 million per season, so won't even pay that investment back for another 75 years. It's madness.

Couple that with the fact that even after spending such a huge sum, we'll still be left with a stadium that has a lower capacity than practically all of the teams who we're trying to make up ground on.
10m per season??

No way this is remotely even through, 10k extra capacity.... More corporate boxes, naming rights, concert venue... if we only get an extra 10m per season then we really need to pack it in.

I don't think that any-one is saying that Everton don't need to increase matchday income, nor that Goodison as it is, can readily achieve that.

However, the fact that even at this stage in the project, no-one appears to be able give an actual projected income for BMD, is probably quite telling.

Normally, clubs addressing their infastructure/stadium issues would produce a cost/benefit analysis of all of the options, and weigh them all up. Of course, assessing all of the benefits can be quite difficult, as projecting the added value of "changes of perception/image" and other "new stadium effects" is a bit like trying to knit fog. However, it is usually fairly straight forward to at least compare costs with projected income ranges to demonstrate an achievable margin of economic viability. Yet, apart from in very broadbrush terms, this basic comparison doesn't appear to be available for any of the options. Even the chosen one at BMD. Why is that?

It would appear that because of our owner's (and possibly more importantly) his backer's wealth, this kind of analysis and the cost generally, wasn't of great concern. As with our on-pitch investment, the money was there, spend it, and keep spending it till we get it right! The same scattergun economics of a lottery-winner who builds a race track in his back garden and has a spending extravaganza "because he can", and then wonders why he's suddenly bankcrupt.

BMD was also attractive because at the beginning of the project, there was the promise of potential major enabling funding via a CWG bid that could've covered much of the costs. Unfortunately, Durban's cancellation shifted that window, bringing it forward by 4 yrs, making Brum's alternative plans far more achievable. Hence the reason why talk of 62k+ was quickly muted and became 52k+ soon after... with a projected total cost of £500m.

Moshiri then stated that he would fund the initial phases and the club would secure funding for the rest (approx half)..... These loans would then be covered (at least partially) by a sponsorship deal, for which USM had already paid £30m just for first dibs, (which in itself was essentially a FFP dodge) to go along with all of his other sponsorship deals. The basic fact that no finance was secured at any point before or after this, would suggest that the financial institutions have never looked too favourably on our proposals and/or the associated risks.

Since then, those costs have supposedly risen by 50% and the sponsorship deals with USM are no more! So the whole viability equation became even less balanced than the one that had already generated no interest from the banks. Moshiri ploughed on regardless, despite the fact that there was very little above ground at BMD when Russia invaded Ukraine and USM was sanctioned. He reassured the fans that he would continue to fund the build and could afford to fund the lot if necessary. This was then amended to up to the year's end. Yet here we now are, still unable to get support from the financial institions and having to kowtow to loan sharks and ultimately having to sell to the bottom-of-the-pile venture-capatalists on the drip, with Moshiri's and the club's whole funding bubble completely burst.

Even if our matchday income doubles (which is by no means certain), that uplift would be less than the interest payments on our loan debts alone (apparently these were running at £34m pa before the last loan went through). Nevermind if more of the stadium and other debts are also offloaded onto the club by carpet-baggers on a potential leveraged buyout.

At these levels of expenditure, this was always a sugar-daddy-led money-no object development. However at some point the figures have to balance and/or that debt has to land somewhere, hence the reason for our current parlace state. As far as I can see, our only hope is that the out-going owner takes the hit and bears the bulk of the pain so that the incoming one can at least finish the stadium. This could then package the club for a sale to someone who can readily absorb the remaining debt. The other option is that somehow the multi-club model can generate the cash to do similar. Something that it doesn't appear to have done for any other club in their portfolio thus far.

Last edited:
Honestly we shouldn't be so short sighted to even be asking this question. It's an unequivocal yes. We're so far behind the rest of the top flight commercially it has and would continue to catch up with us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.