Should we have built the new stadium? Poll

Should we be building the new stadium?

• Yes - It had to be done

• No - This was not the time

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only say instead of focusing on articles that may or may not be truthful or better put do not show the complete picture, you just calculate with your own head what a stadium can generate based on our pricing and not theirs.

FWIW The latest I can see for West Ham is:

West Ham's match-day income in 2021-22 was £41.3million

Obviously they had European games to boost that figure but is it the fact they sell tickets for those games cheaper that is bringing the per match figure down? Do they have variable pricing for opponents? Things might not be so clear cut as they seem..
Sure, it's all speculation to an extent. I just figured West Ham would be an optimistic benchmark, both because the Olympic Stadium has a higher capacity and its widely understood that London clubs earn more per spectator than northern clubs. Even if we assume those figures are reasonable though and we add £25 million a season, that still means we will need at least 30 years of that before we pay the stadium off and start actually earning money from it.

I just think would I rather have an extra Beto per season or use that £750 million to completely transform the squad and get us challenging for titles? Which of those is going to realistically make any difference to our fortunes?

If we'd have spent as you say a further £750mil on the playing staff P&S and FFP would be all over it.
We would be on for the full transfer bans , maximum points deductions , huge fines and probably law suits from a myriad of clubs.
Relegation and Administration would quickly follow and a buyer nowhere in sight.

Has its good points tho , its a much quicker way for the club to be wound up.
It might be, but the current path has us spending a huge amount of money in able to buy a player like Beto per season. It's hardly going to transform our fortunes.

Sure, it's all speculation to an extent. I just figured West Ham would be an optimistic benchmark, both because the Olympic Stadium has a higher capacity and its widely understood that London clubs earn more per spectator than northern clubs. Even if we assume those figures are reasonable though and we add £25 million a season, that still means we will need at least 30 years of that before we pay the stadium off and start actually earning money from it.

I just think would I rather have an extra Beto per season or use that £750 million to completely transform the squad and get us challenging for titles? Which of those is going to realistically make any difference to our fortunes?

The idea is to have x amount to pay the loan and still have some profits left that can go into the team, so you're not waiting years for the benefit you get some now and when it's totally paid off then you are really quids in. A lot will depend on interest on any loans and what naming rights partner we can find to how much that figure is.

Building the new stadium is not the problem at all, it is Kenwright the problem as since he has been here, he has turned down the city owners, we don't know how many more because he wanted to remain as chairman, our commercial deals are a joke all under his watch.

He has to go it's that simple, it's like he is some sort of Cartel, that no ex player can say anything against him????

Any other club and ex players would be singing like canaries

This was not just a stadium this was the redevelopment of the whole area and bigger money to be made … along came Putin and its all gone … add to that most of the players we bought were useless and here we are … tragic !!!

Usmonov getting sanctions is what has us in this current mess... no financial issues while he was using us to launder money...

In hindsight no, its an extra burden on the resources of this already failing club.

However, given the info we had when we started the process, Usmanov was going to bank roll us with ridiculous sponsorship and naming rights deals that would practically pay for the entire project. We have needed a modern stadium for years, and the future was looking secure at the time and the best way forward was with a new stadium.
spot on mate

Building the new stadium is not the problem at all, it is Kenwright the problem as since he has been here, he has turned down the city owners, we don't know how many more because he wanted to remain as chairman, our commercial deals are a joke all under his watch.

He has to go it's that simple, it's like he is some sort of Cartel, that no ex player can say anything against him????

Any other club and ex players would be singing like canaries
Kenwright has been [Poor language removed] but he didn't turn down City's owners.

it annoys me that people are blaming the stadium for our financial issues, but I understand it ,because even the pundits in the media dont understand how FFP and Premier league Profit and Sustainability works.

The problem is FFP and USM getting sanctioned. We have been spending 90% of our turnover on players wages for the last 4 seasons and making a loss for a long time. That doesn't work under FFP, in the days before FFP, clubs could spend anything they wanted, as long as the shareholder(s) were prepared to write it off or the club could borrow more money.

But any improvements to the stadium are not included in the costs in FFP or Premier League Profit and sustainability, the club can write these off.

Then Moshiri has had his companies sanctioned, its cost us £50m a season in sponsorship and Moshiri lost access to that money. If Moshiri's businesses had not been sanctioned, he would have continued to fund the stadium, because its a huge investment, he's looking to spend £400m to add £500m of value to the business.

Hard to answer. I was never keen on the move because I don't want to leave Goodison but I accept the financial benefits of a new ground and my opinion was heart over head.

We absolutely should have had funding in place form the outset though

it annoys me that people are blaming the stadium for our financial issues, but I understand it ,because even the pundits in the media dont understand how FFP and Premier league Profit and Sustainability works.

The problem is FFP and USM getting sanctioned. We have been spending 90% of our turnover on players wages for the last 4 seasons and making a loss for a long time. That doesn't work under FFP, in the days before FFP, clubs could spend anything they wanted, as long as the shareholder(s) were prepared to write it off or the club could borrow more money.

But any improvements to the stadium are not included in the costs in FFP or Premier League Profit and sustainability, the club can write these off.

Then Moshiri has had his companies sanctioned, its cost us £50m a season in sponsorship and Moshiri lost access to that money. If Moshiri's businesses had not been sanctioned, he would have continued to fund the stadium, because its a huge investment, he's looking to spend £400m to add £500m of value to the business.
Our problem right now seems to be having little or no money. It's not FFP stopping us spending, it's a lack of cash stopping us spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.