2023/24 Sean Dyche

Being an evertonian in this era of the past four seasons and getting the hump over sexy togger is akin to an Ethiopian sending back his filet mignon because it didn't have his preferred type of caviar on the side.

Chef Dyche is serving up block buster mitchelen steak from a hobo bin fire and no skillet. And I for one give kudos to the chef as I chow down. Yum.

Erm…

….an outstanding manager for the present and I think he could be an outstanding manager for the future given better investment but I accept my latter point is open for debate.

I think he’s absolutely essential for the present. If there’s any points deductions next season, or we strip the squad of Onana Branthwaite Pickford and replace with frees/loans then you need a manager who: will even want to take the job on, can motivate all the players, has the backing of the matchday fans, is available, and can adapt a style of football around the players he has, you probably don’t want to be gambling on whether they can adapt to the PL either. Great if you get an Emery, fatal if you get a De Boer. If we didn’t have Dyche already we’d be looking for someone exactly like him, it’s the reality of where we are. In different circumstances the requirements for a manager would be different, we wouldn’t have hired Dyche in 2013 when Moyes left, but the club is very different now unfortunately for the worse.

I think he’s absolutely essential for the present. If there’s any points deductions next season, or we strip the squad of Onana Branthwaite Pickford and replace with frees/loans then you need a manager who: will even want to take the job on, can motivate all the players, has the backing of the matchday fans, is available, and can adapt a style of football around the players he has, you probably don’t want to be gambling on whether they can adapt to the PL either. Great if you get an Emery, fatal if you get a De Boer. If we didn’t have Dyche already we’d be looking for someone exactly like him, it’s the reality of where we are. In different circumstances the requirements for a manager would be different, we wouldn’t have hired Dyche in 2013 when Moyes left, but the club is very different now unfortunately for the worse.
.. and yet there are still those amongst us who see him, very much, as a liability. Opinions and that.

Hopefully we’re past the points deductions but agree, it’s very difficult to see how the squad won’t be much weaker next season
I find it hard to see, given the figures we posted last month, how we will be PSR compliant next year unless there is a huge sale before the 30th of June. I hope I'm wrong, and I certainly have no special insights, but the losses last year were substantial. I suspect we'll have a weaker squad and a 4 point deduction next season. On the bright side, so will Leicester, Notts Forest and maybe a couple of others. The PL really has lost the plot!

I find it hard to see, given the figures we posted last month, how we will be PSR compliant next year unless there is a huge sale before the 30th of June. I hope I'm wrong, and I certainly have no special insights, but the losses last year were substantial. I suspect we'll have a weaker squad and a 4 point deduction next season. On the bright side, so will Leicester, Notts Forest and maybe a couple of others. The PL really has lost the plot!

We also need cold, hard cash, not just a paper numbers, so there will be sales and they will be big.

We also need cold, hard cash, not just a paper numbers, so there will be sales and they will be big.
Agreed. That will probably be enough to keep us as a going concern for a while but whether it'll be enough for PSR will depend on timings, I suppose.