2023/24 Sean Dyche

Desperate for a creative midfielder and pace on the wings
It’s actually crazy how much different this team would look with actual pace out wide. I’m really very serious when I say I’d see if we could loan Adama Traore. I know he’s largely crap but we need literally anyone to be able to carry the ball and threaten defenders. If we have money for a real option in that kind of mold obviously go for that but just any kind of improvement would help.

As for the creative midfielder part there is more to McNeil than we’ve gotten. Dyche is also managed him for his entire career essentially and he’s obviously not extracting anything else from him. It’s again not a perfect solution but since we have no money.

Wasting these last 3 games with Doucoure in the center and once again not using free opportunities to find solutions to problems to actually try and do just that is just so frustrating to me.

So for all the complaints that we don’t score enough goals… we still scored more compared to last season?

How on Earth did we survive…

Football is a game of two ends. No point scoring loads if you’re letting in even more. 38 0-0 draws probably keeps you in the league above most relegation teams shipping huge minus goal differences. We’ve got the 4th best defence in the league, and a lot of those goals flowed in a handful of games when we were rank (Chelsea, Villa, United, Wolves). When we’re playing even averagely we don’t concede many. You don’t have to score many then to pick up points.

Add a few decent attacking players to this team and we’d improve hugely, even against Arsenal there’s times you’re screaming for the attacking players to slip each other in and they make the wrong choice, but that’s the best defensive team in the league on their own patch and we could have carved them open a few times in transition with better decisions. That for me is completely different to Allardyce football of 10 men in your own box, boot it clear, don’t even chase after it and reset for the next defensive action. Even Guardiola recognised how good we were in transition this season. It’s a completely different style of football than Allardyce and the worst of Moyes.

Football is a game of two ends. No point scoring loads if you’re letting in even more. 38 0-0 draws probably keeps you in the league above most relegation teams shipping huge minus goal differences. We’ve got the 4th best defence in the league, and a lot of those goals flowed in a handful of games when we were rank (Chelsea, Villa, United, Wolves). When we’re playing even averagely we don’t concede many. You don’t have to score many then to pick up points.

Add a few decent attacking players to this team and we’d improve hugely, even against Arsenal there’s times you’re screaming for the attacking players to slip each other in and they make the wrong choice, but that’s the best defensive team in the league on their own patch and we could have carved them open a few times in transition with better decisions. That for me is completely different to Allardyce football of 10 men in your own box, boot it clear, don’t even chase after it and reset for the next defensive action. Even Guardiola recognised how good we were in transition this season. It’s a completely different style of football than Allardyce and the worst of Moyes.

Absolutely agree.

It just makes me shudder thinking about last season and how there are so many stats/factors which pointed towards certain relegation.

It’s been a hell of a turnaround this season.

It’s actually crazy how much different this team would look with actual pace out wide. I’m really very serious when I say I’d see if we could loan Adama Traore. I know he’s largely crap but we need literally anyone to be able to carry the ball and threaten defenders. If we have money for a real option in that kind of mold obviously go for that but just any kind of improvement would help.

As for the creative midfielder part there is more to McNeil than we’ve gotten. Dyche is also managed him for his entire career essentially and he’s obviously not extracting anything else from him. It’s again not a perfect solution but since we have no money.

Wasting these last 3 games with Doucoure in the center and once again not using free opportunities to find solutions to problems to actually try and do just that is just so frustrating to me.

I agree about the pace, if we had genuine pace and the ability to carry the ball we'd be a far better side, as we break quickly but we don't have the legs to get anywhere with it. Add the fact none of our players can cross a ball and you can see why we don't score enough.

McNeil gives the ball away too often for me, now and again he looks like a player, but more often than not his actual passing and ball retention is poor. Ideally we'd have better for the starting line up. It's mad a team with both Gueye and Dacoure who can't pass wind, but both work hard, is playing top level football. Add in McNeil who relinquishes possession cheaply at times. If we can upgrade on those 3 but bring in players who can pass but still have the mobility, then we'd add so much more to the game.

Totally agree, we had 3 free games and it would have been nice to have seen something different. But I guess it's easy to take gambles when you've got no stake in the game. We were unlucky not to get a point yesterday.

I can't stand Dyche, and I don't like the style of football that we largely played for most of the season. For me he doesn't appear to have the ability to change and control a game. Lampard talked about trying to dominate the possession to beat the lesser teams that Everton have struggled with in the past, and although it didn't work out for him, you could see the logic behind it. I think Dyche's football has limited returns but having said all that, you can't deny the job he's done since he came in. The form is massively patchy, and his style suits certain opponents, but if he can keep us safe next season and bring in the pace etc. and a bit of quality then he obviously deserves to stay. I'll just keep avoiding his interviews as he's more bearable that way.

Why are people talking about free games? If we’d got zero points from Luton and Sheffield United can you imagine the uproar on here and also criticism of Dyche for losing a league placing to Brentford and the prize money that goes with that (which we desperately need and cannot afford to turn down). Some of you are still banging on about the loss to Luton earlier in the season! There’s also the principle of trying to put your best team out every game and keep building a mentality that has been sadly lacking for years at Everton. So these were not free games at all, fortunately Dyche understood that.

Why are people talking about free games? If we’d got zero points from Luton and Sheffield United can you imagine the uproar on here and also criticism of Dyche for losing a league placing to Brentford and the prize money that goes with that (which we desperately need and cannot afford to turn down). Some of you are still banging on about the loss to Luton earlier in the season! There’s also the principle of trying to put your best team out every game and keep building a mentality that has been sadly lacking for years at Everton. So these were not free games at all, fortunately Dyche understood that.
I think one person said free games.

Stop trying to cause a Dyche themed fight you wham chatting ferret.