2023/24 Sean Dyche

….like that he said we wasted good situations. He knows we lack quality.

Just a bit.

Think that season - from an individual managerial achievement - all considered is the best of any manager since Moyes finished 4th. To go from being 2-0 down to needing to win to stay up one season , and 45 minutes from relegation in another. To not spending a bean (net), lowering wages and a point deduction and achieving the points he did with this squad?

All considered - if he keeps us up going into Bramley Moore I'll be more grateful to Dyche than any other Everton manager in my time.

Just hope the board can find a few players we desperately need to give him that quality and pace in the final third.

Just a bit.

Think that season - from an individual managerial achievement - all considered is the best of any manager since Moyes finished 4th. To go from being 2-0 down to needing to win to stay up one season , and 45 minutes from relegation in another. To not spending a bean (net), lowering wages and a point deduction and achieving the points he did with this squad?

All considered - if he keeps us up going into Bramley Moore I'll be more grateful to Dyche than any other Everton manager in my time.

Just hope the board can find a few players we desperately need to give him that quality and pace in the final third.

this

He’s done very well - I don’t think you can fairly frame this season any other way than a huge success for Dyche and his methods.

The only blemish is that we’ve made most of our points in a couple of excellent streaks - and had to endure a historically terrible slump in the middle.

But it would be unfair to focus on that, given it’s a 38 game season.

I owe him an apology for doubting him so strongly. If he can get us performing more consistently next season, I’ll happily eat every one of my words.

He’s done very well - I don’t think you can fairly frame this season any other way than a huge success for Dyche and his methods.

The only blemish is that we’ve made most of our points in a couple of excellent streaks - and had to endure a historically terrible slump in the middle.

But it would be unfair to focus on that, given it’s a 38 game season.

I owe him an apology for doubting him so strongly. If he can get us performing more consistently next season, I’ll happily eat every one of my words.

me to

That bench is a war crime.
When was the last time we didn't have a bench that wasn't just utter rubbish? I don't think we've genuinely been able to even fill it since Martinez and I don't remember Moyes ever really having more than about 13 players. I'm not being funny are we consistently one of the worst squads in the league every year just because we lack depth for decades at a time.

we need to score more than 40 goals next season
I don't really agree, not that I'd not love more goals obviously, I think we can make it work without though. Ultimately we'll never be a free scoring team and frankly >1 goal a game just doesn't like us at all. Overall I wouldn't look at a season in terms of goals scored, be like saying "we only scored 38 goals" in a season where we win every game 1-0. Goal difference is the actual indicator and we're at roughly where we want to be, with slight improvement (and not counting the abnormal Chelsea 6-0) then if you're getting positive goal difference you're getting up the table.

I think we can improve enough at the back to counter act the lack of goals, in fact that's basically exactly what we did for the second half of the season, that does all hinge on Branthwaite though. So keep him and be a good defending team or else sell for big money and hope you replace the goals he'd save with goals scored. I really don't think we're that far off with the right balance.