2023/24 Sean Dyche

"they have consistently found themselves in these positions over their career if I could be bothered I would work out where the average finishing position of players in our squad is over the last 5 or 6 years and I bet it would be in the relegation battle."

This applies to dyche himself as well lol
Yes it does but the point was that the players aren't being held back because this is their level and yes this is also Dyche's level I'm not arguing with that.

Yes do you understand English I said the last 5 or 6 years in the original post so you don't go back 15 years to start the average.
Oh right, you want to take away all the good seasons and only use the bad Seasons.

That seems fair.

Are we allowed to use Gana Gueye winning Ligue 1? Are we allowed to use Ashley Young winning Serie A? What about Pickford doing well for England?

I guess all these must be taken away, lets just focus on Jack Harrisons relegation, cos you know, reasons.

Oh right, you want to take away all the good seasons and only use the bad Seasons.

That seems fair.

Are we allowed to use Gana Gueye winning Ligue 1? Are we allowed to use Ashley Young winning Serie A? What about Pickford doing well for England?

I guess all these must be taken away, lets just focus on Jack Harrisons relegation, cos you know, reasons.
Well unless you're happy to say Ashley Young should play every week now that he's 39 because he was good when he was 22 I don't really see what the issue is? The last 5 or 6 years doesn't have to mean all the good seasons go and bad ones stay I assume you didn't bother counting Pickford coming about 150th with Alfreton Town when you said he averaged 10th so it would work both ways if thats how you wanted to do it.

Well unless you're happy to say Ashley Young should play every week now that he's 39 because he was good when he was 22 I don't really see what the issue is? The last 5 or 6 years doesn't have to mean all the good seasons go and bad ones stay I assume you didn't bother counting Pickford coming about 150th with Alfreton Town when you said he averaged 10th so it would work both ways if thats how you wanted to do it.
Well, I made all the numbers up, so the numbers arent that deep.

And as well as struggling with 3 managers here we have about 10 players who've been relegated at other clubs so its definitely not just as likely to be Dyche holding them back because they have consistently found themselves in these positions over their career if I could be bothered I would work out where the average finishing position of players in our squad is over the last 5 or 6 years and I bet it would be in the relegation battle.
Is Keane a better defender than Tarkowski? One was relegated and one wasn't. Individual players don't get relegated, teams do.
I do not think our team is a bottom of the table team, as evidence of our point total without deductions that people love to trot out in defense of Dyche. So to act as though Dyche is some kind of miracle worker is ridiculous to me. Any half competent manager would have us at a similar point total if not higher.

Is Keane a better defender than Tarkowski? One was relegated and one wasn't. Individual players don't get relegated, teams do.
I do not think our team is a bottom of the table team, as evidence of our point total without deductions that people love to trot out in defense of Dyche. So to act as though Dyche is some kind of miracle worker is ridiculous to me. Any half competent manager would have us at a similar point total if not higher.
I don't agree with the last line but I certainly don't think Dyche is a miracle worker I just think he's doing an alright job and doesn't deserve the amount of criticism he gets. I don't really know what you mean by the other bit of course individual players don't get relegated but if you've spent your entire career coming near the bottom of the table then it stands to reason that is probably your level and like I said already that applies to Dyche the same as it does to the players.

I don't agree with the last line but I certainly don't think Dyche is a miracle worker I just think he's doing an alright job and doesn't deserve the amount of criticism he gets. I don't really know what you mean by the other bit of course individual players don't get relegated but if you've spent your entire career coming near the bottom of the table then it stands to reason that is probably your level and like I said already that applies to Dyche the same as it does to the players.
I'm not going to belabor the point. You think Dyche is doing alright, and I dont. I know he's not getting sacked any time soon, but once he does, I think people will look back on his tenure the same way they do Big Sam. He won some games playing the worst football you can imagine, but he was never the caliber of manager Everton needed.

Thinking this is the key point in the debate. Dyche is , in fact, a half competent manager. His predecessors were less than half competent. This does not mean we should not be looking to appoint an upgrade, i.e. a manager who is more than half competent.

Thinking this is the key point in the debate. Dyche is , in fact, a half competent manager. His predecessors were less than half competent. This does not mean we should not be looking to appoint an upgrade, i.e. a manager who is more than half competent.
His insistence on Young playing runs counter to your argument, but to each their own.

I can be bothered!!!!

Pickford Average finish 10th
Coleman 7th
Young 2nd
Tarks 15th
Branners 17th
Gana 7th
Garner 17th
Onana 17th
Harrison 18th
McNeil 15th
DCL 8th

Average finish of players 9th.

Sean Dyche average finish of 18th.
Not sure this quite works when for Dyche has spent more seasons finishing above the relegation zone (and never below 18th) in the PL..

Not to mention that Tarks, McNeil have all but one season of their PL careers played under Sean Dyche, then the more senior players Young/Coleman/Ganas averages are massively skewed to when they were younger and playing for clubs that were competing higher up the table.