2023/24 Sean Dyche

Oh sorry, longest winless run in over 50 years and no win in a third of a season. That's so much better.

"Means absolutely nothing" whilst casually implying that we could qualify for the Champions League next season, lol. It means we are capable of very lengthy runs of very few points under this manager and with this squad. We are very likely to have this manager and an even worse squad next year, due to our financial situation, how does that bode for the future?

It's about making huge judgement calls based on trigger headlines like "worst run in the clubs history" when the overall picture says he kept the club in the league despite an 8 point deduction, has the 4th best defence in the league, with an absentee chairman and a rudderless club lacking in resources.

I made the Moyes point to say...No one recalls him getting the worst points haul in the clubs history at one point do they? All they recall is that he had a generational talent sold for buttons and still qualified for the champions league the following season.

But whatever folk want to fuel their own agendas in wanting the manager gone go I guess

Give any manager the budget Dyche had at Burnley and eventually they go down. Averaged £9m net spend, per season.

Kompany spent more last summer than Dyche did in his whole time there - still taking them right down.

Ignore all the boring, tedious finances stuff for a minute and consider we've not spent anything on transfer fees for years and sold a lot of players but we're still getting hammered because of financial fair play.

We won't spend this summer then will we?

I think we'll sell Onana and Branthwaite to give us the ability to bring players in but I can't see us spending this summer.
It's maybe just me, but I see Burnley and Sheffield, Norwich, Sunderland and these type of teams as yo-yo teams. Absolute hate that double standards here from both sides.

Chris Wilder managed 2 relegations in 3 seasons with Sheffield. Also a team permanently predicted in the bottom 3. Had them also playing a good first prem season, being in European cup run.

Give these managers 10 years in a club like that and in 7 prem seasons a lot of them will go down 2x as well.

People here rather want us to become Watford 2.0, having 300 managers in 5 years. Overall this season Dyche is somewhere between C and D for me. E in the 2nd half of the season, B in the first half of the season.

Maybe use some context. Brighton had been finishing in the bottom places under houghton and the football was horrendous and had been in the lower leagues for years. Potter came in got them playing better football and eventually up the 9th, they were disgruntled about a 0-0 I think and he said they should think about where they were a few years ago.

Is playing out from the back a broad spectrum?? Or is it all the same,
Like do Brighton play like city ? Or is it anyone who doesn’t play long ball punts to a big centre forward,
Playing out from the back. Remember Bournemouth at goodison in October getting caught out and loosing 2 goals because of playing around at the back and some of our fans laughing, Bournemouth are going down and Iraola will be sacked, well look at them now, they play much better football than us and are higher in the league, if rather watch Bournemouth than us
As if you and all the others would have just let Iraola get away with playing like that and not winning any of his first 9 games you'd have been balling your eyes out saying it was a disgrace and he needed sacking immediately.

I really get the desire to have the type of manager that would manage in europe.

That manager will relegate this squad. The reality is we cant afford someone other than Dyche until the club puts out a decent squad. We have strikers who cant finish, and the only thing going for the squad is the well organized defence. With an average striker(and no point deductions) we would be mid table easy, above Brighton. But we dont have that, and Im not convinced they will go out and get one in the summer. We sold 130m of attackers, and paid pennies for "replacements".

I really get the desire to have the type of manager that would manage in europe.

That manager will relegate this squad. The reality is we cant afford someone other than Dyche until the club puts out a decent squad. We have strikers who cant finish, and the only thing going for the squad is the well organized defence. With an average striker(and no point deductions) we would be mid table easy, above Brighton. But we dont have that, and Im not convinced they will go out and get one in the summer. We sold 130m of attackers, and paid pennies for "replacements".
Yeah, all our problems lie with Dom.

Lol

You cant knock what he's done in a terrible period for the club. Saving us from the drop in two of the most dangerous seasons we've ever had.

He's a strange one. I'd build a statue to him for what he's been able to save us from, but at the same time I'd also hand him his cards and look for someone better. But I think 'better' comes when we're out of the woods, financially speaking, in the next couple of years.

You cant knock what he's done in a terrible period for the club. Saving us from the drop in two of the most dangerous seasons we've ever had.

He's a strange one. I'd build a statue to him for what he's been able to save us from, but at the same time I'd also hand him his cards and look for someone better. But I think 'better' comes when we're out of the woods, financially speaking, in the next couple of years.

Give the bloke a decent front three, two competent full backs, and even just one midfielder who can pick a pass, and if he’s still getting us 14th then all the detractors arguments will be correct.

I’m not going to judge any manager on football aesthetic though when we’re giving him a hand held catapult to go up against teams with Nuclear arsenals.

McNeil DCL Beto Harrison (loan) Chermiti Dobbin (loan) is absolutely pathetic for a PL outfit. Luton have better offensive weapons than we do. Sheffield United have a better attacking player. Lower mid table PL clubs wouldn’t take a single one of these players over what they have.

That’s before you get to his best full back being a player that was in his peak in 2014.

Give the bloke a decent front three, two competent full backs, and even just one midfielder who can pick a pass, and if he’s still getting us 14th then all the detractors arguments will be correct.

I’m not going to judge any manager on football aesthetic though when we’re giving him a hand held catapult to go up against teams with Nuclear arsenals.

McNeil DCL Beto Harrison (loan) Chermiti Dobbin (loan) is absolutely pathetic for a PL outfit. Luton have better offensive weapons than we do. Sheffield United have a better attacking player. Lower mid table PL clubs wouldn’t take a single one of these players over what they have.

That’s before you get to his best full back being a player that was in his peak in 2014.
I completely agree. Until finances are there what could we gain by bringing in a more expansive manager? We'd be calling him back by Christmas to give us the system that gets us safe.

Besides - and something not mentioned by the hack pundits yesterday - we can play when we get our tails up. That second goal yesterday came at the end of a 16 pass move...but Everton are all about "winning ugly" (™️ Jamie 23 Cara Carragher).

Yeah, all our problems lie with Dom.

Lol
Never, but he's definitely a part of the problems, of many problems we have. Or do I just expect too much of a striker? He's not getting much service into box, but isn't that type to use his one moment in the game this season. I mean I hope I don't exaggerate to say that there was a sitter against Forest, Bmouth and Burnley. Don't expect him to score all of those 3, but 1 maybe.

We had to sell Iwobi though regardless of whether Dyche wanted him, and he ended up with Harrison on loan instead.

I was no big fan of Iwobi but he went for 20 mill to a mid table prem team. Dyche played him a lot last season so probably would have kept playing him.

Eventually we can’t keep selling all our better players and expect managers to not only keep us in the league but have us improving.

Since he’s walked through the door we’ve sold Gordon Iwobi Gray. As useless as some of them were for us under Lampard that’s effectively the entire first choice attack gone. We’re probably likely to sell one of Onana or Branthwaite in the summer, no doubt Dele and Gomes will be out the door as well.

I’m sure Dyche would have loved to have even what Lampard had with Richarlison DCL Gordon upfront, Iwobi and Dele on the bench, Allan behind them, and even that wasn’t good enough.

You can’t give managers an attacking collection of DCL Beto McNeil Harrison Doucoure Danjuma Young and expect them to be playing successful attacking football. I don’t care what anyone says, that lot are toilet. Gordon Iwobi Gray were also terrible but were levels above this lot currently.
This is my view. As long as he has the players playing for him we have to stick until the there is a transfer pot.
It's about making huge judgement calls based on trigger headlines like "worst run in the clubs history" when the overall picture says he kept the club in the league despite an 8 point deduction, has the 4th best defence in the league, with an absentee chairman and a rudderless club lacking in resources.

I made the Moyes point to say...No one recalls him getting the worst points haul in the clubs history at one point do they? All they recall is that he had a generational talent sold for buttons and still qualified for the champions league the following season.

But whatever folk want to fuel their own agendas in wanting the manager gone go I guess
”worst run” is nonsence. Only goes to show that the majority of the season has had some decent results.
There was a tough run of games during that period too.
Over the course of the season, given the players, given the points deduction, given the running of the club for the last decade I would argue that Dyche is probably the most important person in the club right now

My god people here are still banging on about aesthetics.

We didn't win for FOUR MONTHS, it was never about aesthetics you lunatics.

So if we’d not beaten Forest but had beaten one of the teams in the middle of that four month period would that make things any better? If we’d beaten Luton at home but lost to Brentford West Ham or Palace away would everyone feel better? If it had been 2-0 to Chelsea rather than 6 would it make a blind bit of difference?

The only defining metric that matters for a manager is points per game and what that means to the league table.

% games without a win, number of consecutive games without a win, XG, they’re all indicators but ultimately they are not the stat to get hung up on. A manager could draw every single league game, and break every record known for not winning yet would still survive in the PL because of points gained. We stayed up last season because whilst other teams around us were losing loads in a row and getting an infrequent win, we were drawing games avoiding defeat to add to infrequent wins.

Dyche’s ppg with us is enough to keep us up most seasons. Until the Everton owners change the remit of the club that is the job Dyche is being paid to do.

8 point deduction with 2 separate charges hanging over the team. Still having earned 38 points from 33 games he’s:

8 points better off than Cooper/Nuno at Forest
3 points better off than Frank at Brentford (having played a game less)
2 points better off than Hodgson/Glasner at Palace
4 points behind Iraola at Bournemouth
4 behind Silva at Fulham having played a game less
5 behind manager of the season contender Gary O’Neil at Wolves
6 behind De Zerbi’s Brighton (having played a game more) the apparent exemplar for a well run club

All of this after riding the impact of two points deduction charges and the worst winless run in our PL history.

It would be great to be competing with the sky six instead but until something major changes off the field we’re competing with these teams and the bottom 3 and Dyche has us comfortably in that pack despite inferior attacking players to a lot of his counterparts. I’m sure Dyche would love to call on Eze and Olise or have Mbeumo Toney Wissa to pick, or Solanke Outarra, or have Muniz Jimenez Broja Lukic to pick from.
This is a great analysis…
People cannot see past league position.
Not sure any of those managers get a better return on the players we have