2023/24 Sean Dyche

I used to enjoy watching Atletico Madrid not far into Simeone joining.

They were very solid & managed to bring in (and develop) ruthless attacking players to put away chances.

I firmly believe that if we added a goalscoring right winger and a top centre forward we would be far up the table.

My question to you is whether you agree that having the 4th best defence & creating chances is one step below a top 10 finish (at least) if we had those two players ?
If you honestly believe that after watching how Atletico Madrid approach games, when they hunt in packs and attack with purpose, we can achieve this by adding 2 players then football is not for you Zat

Jesus Christ, you’ve written some embarrassing things but this is up there

If you honestly believe that after watching how Atletico Madrid approach games, when they hunt in packs and attack with purpose, we can achieve this by adding 2 players then football is not for you Zat

Did you not feel that when he took over they were a bit of a blend of Royle and Dyche?

Your post has shades of the old Royle side...but their defence was like Dyche.

The difference imo was having two finishers.

@nsno-chris i'll even dip my toe into the water a bit and say Benitez champions league team was solid & had Gerrard and Torres to net the goals.

I only see quality issues amongst our forward players.

Did you not feel that when he took over they were a bit of a blend of Royle and Dyche?

You have reached new heights mate. It's like saying the only difference between Guardiola and Kompany is two decent defenders.

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been puzzling over that since I woke up.

I remember how matter of fact it all seemed in the dream.

He was dressed in his match day suit, if that helps with analysis.
This is always the way.

Lying in a shop doorway sounds kinda homeless = P45?

I used to enjoy watching Atletico Madrid not far into Simeone joining.

They were very solid & managed to bring in (and develop) ruthless attacking players to put away chances.

I firmly believe that if we added a goalscoring right winger and a top centre forward we would be far up the table.

My question to you is whether you agree that having the 4th best defence & creating chances is one step below a top 10 finish (at least) if we had those two players ?
Not sure about that. There are elements of Dyche in it, but not really you can say that Dyche is the English Simeone. Simeone is one of the best tacticians imo, I am youth coach of a 2nd tier Spanish team (Eibar) and went one day there with a group in 2021. Pretty much was impressed by the compact and aggressive defensive approach, sometimes better to watch than possession only in the midfield. But barely used long balls.

Up to 2020 Athletico was basically a hard working, high intensity team,often playing over the limit, but also sitting very deep compact and counter attacking. Playing a 4-4-2 and also 5-5-0, barely changing it, but it was effective for them. Kept the same players (rather an experienced squad over the majority of time.) Especially was probably the fittest team I've ever witnessed to play that style a lot of games week in week out.

However, they became a lot more flexible around 2020, playing 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 or 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1 depending on the opponent, adapting their game more often.

I get this comparison, especially with Burnley Dyche and Simeone up to 2020. Superficially, their approach is similiar in having a good defense, low on possession and play up to their strength, while going forward as quick as possible.

Going deeper you can see the difference ingame. I try to sum it up in a few words.

Dyche uses way more long balls, while Simeone's side try to combine with direct short passes to get into box.

Simeone: constantly asks to press 90 min and stand on their feet, while Dyche only does this in rates and more

Of course, you have to say Suarez and Griezmann are world class level comparing of what Dyche had in finishers, the idea is similiar, but other approach in the game.

You have reached new heights mate. It's like saying the only difference between Guardiola and Kompany is two decent defenders.

That makes no sense.

Not sure about that. There are elements of Dyche in it, but not really you can say that Dyche is the English Simeone. Simeone is one of the best tacticians imo, I am youth coach of a 2nd tier Spanish team (Eibar) and went one day there with a group in 2021. Pretty much was impressed by the compact and aggressive defensive approach, sometimes better to watch than possession only in the midfield. But barely used long balls.

Up to 2020 Athletico was basically a hard working, high intensity team,often playing over the limit, but also sitting very deep compact and counter attacking. Playing a 4-4-2 and also 5-5-0, barely changing it, but it was effective for them. Kept the same players (rather an experienced squad over the majority of time.) Especially was probably the fittest team I've ever witnessed to play that style a lot of games week in week out.

However, they became a lot more flexible around 2020, playing 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 or 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1 depending on the opponent, adapting their game more often.

Idk Athletico? You mean Atletico ? Its not Bilbao :eek: lol

2020 id say is a touch early...2021 perhaps.

Anyway, im really referring to the 'defence first' approach which (for me) shows similarities with Dyche -- nothing so tactical.

Success with that style can only occur with a couple of lethal finishers.

That makes no sense.

Anyway, im really referring to the 'defence first' approach which (for me) shows similarities with Dyche -- nothing so tactical.

Yeah sorry, of course it's Atletico.....

I get this comparison, especially with Burnley Dyche and Simeone up to 2020. Superficially, their approach is similiar in having a good defense, low on possession and play up to their strength, while going forward as quick as possible.

Going deeper you can see the difference ingame. I try to sum it up in a few words.

Dyche uses way more long balls, while Simeone's side try to combine with direct short passes to get into box.

Simeone: constantly asks to press 90 min and stand on their feet, while Dyche only does this in rates and more

Of course, you have to say Suarez and Griezmann are world class level comparing of what Dyche had in finishers, the idea is similiar, but other approach in the game.

Precisely. Similar in general tactical philosophy (defense first) and direct play.

Take away 2 of the super forward players Atletico had in the years after he joined and they would also be struggling to put teams away with defence first.

It seems to me to be a clear comparison.

I used to love watching them.

That makes no sense.

Does it show similarities with Sam Allardyce as well Zat??

He was defence first

That makes no sense.

Does it show similarities with Sam Allardyce as well Zat??

He was defence first
Nothing wrong with defence first. Moyes was defence first, as was Allardyce, as is Dyche etc.