2023/24 Sean Dyche

Well you can, and change the formation.

He played those 2 in a game with the same crap 4-4-1-1 / 4-4-2 variant with no overlapping full backs, no crosses from the dead all line, no movement from anywhere.

It was 60 minutes of “hit the big fellas”; this is the entire argument about his in ability to find solutions.

He could easily go 3-5–2 to at home and tell the wingbacks to play as forward as possible, work on little attacking plays in training that gets them to byeline to throw crosses in. Force the opposition back, play the game in there half and press them continually.

But nope, stick to what’s not working with different personnel and blame Xg

But how does that change a player kicking the ball into the net?

Basic examples this season is we've had players having one on ones with a keeper and not scoring. We've had players looking at open nets and not scoring.

I'd agree if it was a case of not looking like being a threat or creating opportunities. But most peoples arguements come across as wanting variations to play to allow us to score goals.

The issue isn't the variation (which I'm in favour of) it's the belief that these players would score from it.

And I don't think they would as they're very inconsistent

The lack of quality to score hasn't been an issue overnight this season...it was evident from day one.

I said this into Oct 2017 about the standards of some fans who actively called the board incompetent but wanted to poor managers in place

Since this post we’ve appointed 3 that I mentioned and have plummeted to where we are now.

Its all about standards, and we have none

View attachment 248401
100% agree, the club has certainly managed the erosion of our standards and I think that was done purposefully by BK because he could never live up to those standards.

The biggest concern, and probably the most saddest, is our own fans slipping of standards. Even before the points deductions and ownership issues it was "who is coming to Everton", yet we got Ancelotti. OK the lure of Madrid was too much but he is on record saying he would have stayed if Madrid didn`t come in.

I`ve always been consistent that as a club we should go for the best manager available, that is how you build a winning club with a winning mentality and not with managers that do no know or understand what a winning culture looks like. Alot will come at he saying "Who we gonna get" but without knowing the criteria Thelwell has set in his club model it is hard to know.

I was never on board with Dyche in the 1st place, start with the very best available and sound them out until you get one that does have an interest in the project. But the club needs to ask the question and not dismiss them because they don`t think they will come, that is a loser mentality. Glasner was a brilliant appointment by Crystal Palace, no way this club would have ever asked an out of work coach like that!

For a large amount of our fanbase 3 wins at home all season is good enough, 5 points from 11 is good enough. Good enough to the extent they are even defending all these as "not his fault", it was the same with a certain ex-chairman who was clapped on the big screen at GP. It is these fans with no standards and no ambition for this club is the reason we got Dyche and we got the the club we have.

It hasn’t “failed massively” though that’s nonsense.

He was brought in to keep us up when we looked a certainty for the drop and he kept us up.

If the club had managed their finances better and not been the dubious subject of farcical financial rules he’d be sat on 31 points now and needing only another handful of points to have us mid table.

The football is awful to watch and win his record is grim reading, but I don’t think there’s any debate that he’s improved the structure of the side after the last 2 seasons of a ridiculously weak mentality under fat pig man and Lampard.

Basically this.

But let's get Potter in next season.

It's not just amount of goals.

Our record from coming from goal down is pathetic. As soon as we concede, we're pretty much done.

It must be worst after bottom 2.

That's a really bad sign in any team.

Its on players and manager, but I can't think of a time he's made a tactical switch or sub that changed or got us back in the game.

Everything is planned pre-game. So rigid.

It hasn’t “failed massively” though that’s nonsense.

He was brought in to keep us up when we looked a certainty for the drop and he kept us up.

If the club had managed their finances better and not been the dubious subject of farcical financial rules he’d be sat on 31 points now and needing only another handful of points to have us mid table.

The football is awful to watch and win his record is grim reading, but I don’t think there’s any debate that he’s improved the structure of the side after the last 2 seasons of a ridiculously weak mentality under fat pig man and Lampard.
Played 29 home games, won 7 scored 22 in the process.

2 of those wins, and 5 of those goals, came in the space of 3 days in December.

Last season we went on 7 game run with out winning, picking up 4 points; he literally survived by a last minute Leicester miss. The notion that he had us galloping is bizarre.

this year we’re on 11 picking up 5.

Both if them were rightly sacked for having equal to very poor runs.

He’s made us tight and hard to beat away, that’s it in a nutshell

100% agree, the club has certainly managed the erosion of our standards and I think that was done purposefully by BK because he could never live up to those standards.

The biggest concern, and probably the most saddest, is our own fans slipping of standards. Even before the points deductions and ownership issues it was "who is coming to Everton", yet we got Ancelotti. OK the lure of Madrid was too much but he is on record saying he would have stayed if Madrid didn`t come in.

I`ve always been consistent that as a club we should go for the best manager available, that is how you build a winning club with a winning mentality and not with managers that do no know or understand what a winning culture looks like. Alot will come at he saying "Who we gonna get" but without knowing the criteria Thelwell has set in his club model it is hard to know.

I was never on board with Dyche in the 1st place, start with the very best available and sound them out until you get one that does have an interest in the project. But the club needs to ask the question and not dismiss them because they don`t think they will come, that is a loser mentality. Glasner was a brilliant appointment by Crystal Palace, no way this club would have ever asked an out of work coach like that!

For a large amount of our fanbase 3 wins at home all season is good enough, 5 points from 11 is good enough. Good enough to the extent they are even defending all these as "not his fault", it was the same with a certain ex-chairman who was clapped on the big screen at GP. It is these fans with no standards and no ambition for this club is the reason we got Dyche and we got the the club we have.

How the club has been ran has got us into a mess where realism replaced ambition. Standards were then adjusted for a lot of fans.

I can understand that.

But when the problem is forwards not scoring goals - when that's basically what all forwards live for - as opposed to the problem being them looking disinterested and trotting around - then I don't think yelling at them to shoot better is helpful.

It may sound insane to some - it even sounds insane to me when I spell it out like this - but I don't think it's on the players that they aren't scoring. I imagine they are desperate to - and it certainly feels that way watching them.
If they can`t do their job, dock their pay.

I posted earlier, if they don`t score the team should take a 10% of wages fine and give it to EITC or EDSA, watch the improvement then!

Let's be honest.

The only thing worse than our performances this season has been watching paint dry.

And there is no guarantee we will stay up because Luton keep grinding out results and we need to find somebody to score goals.

Luton need 14 points out of 33 available. 11 games left and have City, Spurs, and Arsenal away.

You'd hand Rob Edwards manager of the season if he did that.

You can’t say that with any certainty though, a new manager could easily find ways of attacking, and those home games we have left become wins because the team are more aggressive and that harnesses the crowd.

It is probably too late to change; but this Dyche experiment has failed massively and no matter what happens in the summer he needs to be removed
Not really based on any fact.
The reality is because the owner and previous board chased star dust managers with promise of untold riches to match their ambition which you and others advocating to do again is why we are not sat in 14th right now, possibly higher without all the nonsense that is around Everton these days.

Played 29 home games, won 7 scored 22 in the process.

2 of those wins, and 5 of those goals, came in the space of 3 days in December.

Last season we went on 7 game run with out winning, picking up 4 points; he literally survived by a last minute Leicester miss. The notion that he had us galloping is bizarre.

this year we’re on 11 picking up 5.

Both if them were rightly sacked for having equal to very poor runs.

He’s made us tight and hard to beat away, that’s it in a nutshell
The bit I have highlighted, can you explain that bit please? Who’s claimed he had us “galloping”?

I just wrote that he kept us up, I’m dealing in facts here not my interpretation of it.

But how does that change a player kicking the ball into the net?

Basic examples this season is we've had players having one on ones with a keeper and not scoring. We've had players looking at open nets and not scoring.

I'd agree if it was a case of not looking like being a threat or creating opportunities. But most peoples arguements come across as wanting variations to play to allow us to score goals.

The issue isn't the variation (which I'm in favour of) it's the belief that these players would score from it.

And I don't think they would as they're very inconsistent

The lack of quality to score hasn't been an issue overnight this season...it was evident from day one.
Situational training sessions, brining in a striking coach. Its ok when we see these training videos and there dancing past cones and striking it into an empty net.

We simply do not have a form of attacking play, we don’t maintain a constant flow of pressure, the attackers spend the majority of their time outside the box.

Simply being pigheaded and saying my formation and style of play will come good because I’m the manager is absolutely pathetic.

I mentioned O’Neil at Wolves yesterday, they had a worse scoring record than us last season. He came, played a 4-2-3-1, it wasn’t working, he went away and found a solution.

Emery, a completely different level obviously, walks into Villa with a set of players that were struggling to win and score. Uses his very good ability as a coach, and within 3 months they went from relegation candidates to qualifying for Europe.

Good coaches find solutions

Mate, we break records every season for being [Poor language removed].

We should be used to it.

Staying in the league is all that matters.
Why is merely staying in the league so important ?
That has become our problem as a club.
We overvalue mere survival.
We excuse poor football because our expectations are so low.
Nobody else cares about our longevity.
There are no trophies for it.
Sport is supposed to be about endeavour, striving to be the best you can be, not survival.
I value an Everton team playing intelligent, combative football , a team that competes in every area of the pitch over where we finish.
It is a spectator sport after all.
We have become like a boxer who is always outclassed , reduced to merely clinging on for survival every bout , a boxer nobody values or cares about , a boxer who will be unremembered when he retires.
We have become a waste of space.
Perhaps like the figurative boxer above we should retire, call it a day , leave the way clear for someone else who may better embody the true values of sporting competitiveness?
If we are going out , let’s at least go out swinging , show a bit of pride ! Not hunched in the corner hiding behind our guard , getting battered again.