2023/24 Sean Dyche

It is possible to acknowledge he's doing a decent job, given the circumstances but critic his horrific hoofball football. They are different things

Im not sure. I look at the players and i really dont see much quality to play any other way. Lampard tried to play a better style of football with a lot of the same players and i was watching a team that were heading in one direction. The championship. Been quite a few games this season where i thought we did things well but couldnt hit a barn door at the end of it.
Dyche is dyche. Since he's been here our away form reflects what he is. Nobody batters us. At home is where you possibly get the negative of dyche where the onus is attack. There is an element of you work with what you have. And we havent really got much.

None of that is Dyche’s fault. He came in when we were right at the bottom of this decline. You want someone to blame, blame Kenwright and Moshiri.

Its not the same club as 15 years ago u fortunately, Dyche needs to manage for the situation he’s in and the squad he inherited from Lampard was utterly abject and incapable of playing the football you want to see. His remit was to keep us up, it still is.

The answer to Everton’s problems is better ownership and an overhaul of regulations in the PL that favour the sky six. It is not to just hire the latest ‘progressive’ manager and hope he pulls off a miracle. He won’t, none of them have.

So what if Brighton finish top half, the model they have means they can’t go any higher. Any good player they have is purely there because he knows they are a feeder club for the top 6 teams. Caicedo would rather play for Chelsea in 11th than play for Brighton in the top half.

Their trophy cabinet is just as empty as ours and they’re going to finish lower this season than they did last season. I’ll wager that it’s more likely they get relegated in the next five years than it is they win anything.

There’s numerous reasons why we’re in the situation we’re in vis-à-vis other clubs but Dyche is a long long way down that list of reasons.

Brighton have a sustainable business plan to improve year on year. I wouldn't knock it.

Your last part is utter rubbish. We have a team of past or present internationals. Some are being touted for big money moves to top clubs. Potter changed how Brighton played overnight, Iraolo has changed how Bournemouth play.

A better manager/coach could implement an actual style instead of just booting it long and hoping to get a corner. Also nothing changes with dyche, even if he’s given a chunk of the Oanan and Branthwaite money. He will just buy more McNeil’s and Harrison’s for the wing.
Another doucoure to play behind the striker, another Beto to replace DCL
And full backs that can only defend. If he’s 1 more years or 5, nothing is changing.

Hopefully Thelwell the new sporting team/owners and board,
Actually have a plan to
Move forward and play 2024 football and not Wimbledon from 1994

Great post

It is possible to acknowledge he's doing a decent job, given the circumstances but critic his horrific hoofball football. They are different things.

He's by far the main problem at the club but he's not untouchable like some make out on here

But in my view, the circumstances dictate the pragmatism of football we're seeing.

The objective is to stay in the league.

Mid table is the best we can hope for with this team, and he's got us in that mix. If we had some decent creativity/attackers, and we were still playing as we are then I wouldn't pull punches.

He's clearly not infallible - I mean, we're on our longest streak since 1994 without a win, and our form/points since mid December is the joint worst in the league and very much relegation form but all considered, he's done a fantastic job.

Needs to start picking up results though otherwise we get into panic stations to stay up and "could another manager get us over the line" territory

Brighton have a sustainable business plan to improve year on year. I wouldn't knock it.

Well they won’t be improving this year will they? So it’s neither sustainable nor improving.

Selling your best players every season and then buying unknowns and developing them works really well until you make a mistake on the buying side and all of a sudden you have poor players that no one wants.

Brighton have Mitoma Ferguson and Enciso to sell still, but I see only Baleba and Adingra as unknown quantities after that. The rest are decent players but won’t be going anywhere upwards any time soon : Lallana, Gilmour, Welbeck, Milner, Gros, Moder Solly March, Veltman, Dunk, Webster

They sold Caicedo McCallister Trossard Bissouma Cucurella and Sanchez to their European rivals and replaced them with players who aren’t as good. They’re now further away from challenging those teams than they were. So their balance sheet looks healthy but they will never ever compete with these teams by doing this.

Even if some of these players develop and they get another gem that reaches the levels of those previous names, the second they’re at that level they’re being sold. Brighton know it, the player knows it, the top 6 know it, and most importantly De Zerbi knows it, which is why he’ll be off first chance he gets for a team that is serious about being a real team and not an elite development school for Chelsea Liverpool Spurs and Arsenal.

But in my view, the circumstances dictate the pragmatism of football we're seeing.

The objective is to stay in the league.

Mid table is the best we can hope for with this team, and he's got us in that mix. If we had some decent creativity/attackers, and we were still playing as we are then I wouldn't pull punches.

He's clearly not infallible - I mean, we're on our longest streak since 1994 without a win, and our form/points since mid December is the joint worst in the league and very much relegation form but all considered, he's done a fantastic job.

Needs to start picking up results though otherwise we get into panic stations to stay up and "could another manager get us over the line" territory

He decided he didn't like Danjuma

Well they won’t be improving this year will they? So it’s neither sustainable nor improving.

Selling your best players every season and then buying unknowns and developing them works really well until you make a mistake on the buying side and all of a sudden you have poor players that no one wants.

Brighton have Mitoma Ferguson and Enciso to sell still, but I see only Baleba and Adingra as unknown quantities after that. The rest are decent players but won’t be going anywhere upwards any time soon : Lallana, Gilmour, Welbeck, Milner, Gros, Moder Solly March, Veltman, Dunk, Webster

They sold Caicedo McCallister Trossard Bissouma Cucurella and Sanchez to their European rivals and replaced them with players who aren’t as good. They’re now further away from challenging those teams than they were. So their balance sheet looks healthy but they will never ever compete with these teams by doing this.

Even if some of these players develop and they get another gem that reaches the levels of those previous names, the second they’re at that level they’re being sold. Brighton know it, the player knows it, the top 6 know it, and most importantly De Zerbi knows it, which is why he’ll be off first chance he gets for a team that is serious about being a real team and not an elite development school for Chelsea Liverpool Spurs and Arsenal.

Brighton are what FFP was designed for - keep the scab 6 at the top with the rest as feeder clubs.

Any sensible manager would have this crop playing the type of football that we currently are.

The players we’ve recruited, including before Dyche, are extremely limited & decent at what they do. We have 2 players with any sort of ability to get the ball on a half turn & drive forward (Garner & Onana) the rest can’t.

It’d be absolute suicide for Dyche to have tried to play possession football, these players haven’t the confidence for it.
He’s never ever tried to play football anywhere. And he’s not starting now at 53. It’s quite funny that loads here say Lampard was a terrible manager one if our worst in our history. But will then say, passing football, look what happened when Lampard tried that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Its Southampton 5-8 years ago I agree.
They get all the praise and the pats on the back because they are essentially priming players for PL football for the larger teams, while not getting close to disturbing the norm!
Eventually you run out of luck and you replace Van Dijk with Vestergaard & Wesley Hoet or Mane with Gabbiadini & Boufal & you end up running out of players you cant sell with an unhappy squad because the ones there thought that Soupthampton/Brighton was just a stepping stone!

Brighton are what FFP was designed for - keep the scab 6 at the top with the rest as feeder clubs.

This place makes me laugh, there’s an absolute meltdown from people whenever we sell any of our better players to teams in the prem above us, yet in the same breath they’re holding up Brighton as a model for us to follow.

Imagine we sold Branthwaite to Liverpool this summer

Pickford to Chelsea

Onana to Arsenal

Garner to Spurs

Then reinvested a fraction of that money in a load of players no one had heard of plus some utter dross like Milner Lallana Welbeck. Then when Chermiti has a decent season the season after, we sell him to United.

This place would be in absolute uproar and rightly so. It’s the absolute death knell for Everton if our primary business model is to become an academy for the sky six.

Its Southampton 5-8 years ago I agree.
They get all the praise and the pats on the back because they are essentially priming players for PL football for the larger teams, while not getting close to disturbing the norm!
Eventually you run out of luck and you replace Van Dijk with Vestergaard & Wesley Hoet or Mane with Gabbiadini & Boufal & you end up running out of players you cant sell with an unhappy squad because the ones there thought that Soupthampton/Brighton was just a stepping stone!

Exactly, people are acting like we’ve not seen this before. It was the same with Leicester as well, eventually your luck runs out.

Im not sure. I look at the players and i really dont see much quality to play any other way. Lampard tried to play a better style of football with a lot of the same players and i was watching a team that were heading in one direction. The championship. Been quite a few games this season where i thought we did things well but couldnt hit a barn door at the end of it.
Dyche is dyche. Since he's been here our away form reflects what he is. Nobody batters us. At home is where you possibly get the negative of dyche where the onus is attack. There is an element of you work with what you have. And we havent really got much.
Like I’ve just posted, a load on here, probably you included say Lampard was useless and one of our worst ever managers. But you then use him as justification that this group can’t play football