2023/24 Sean Dyche

We saw the pros and cons of Dyche in microcosm today.

He clearly had a plan for Brighton - and his players executed it perfectly. However, once we went a man up, I feared the personnel advantage would be of limited use to us as he had no plan to exploit it offensively and the best we would get from the situation was Brighton attacking us with one man fewer. The players are conditioned to defend - and they do that very well. But it's hard to alter that mindset when the game changes - as it did with the sending off.

We got a point. He has a habit of getting hard-earned points on the drip - and that will likely keep us up - but today showed his limitations as well as his strengths. He's the right horse for this boggy course - but when the course becomes more promising, he'll quickly run out of road.

Let’s sack a manager who’d have us 13th with the 4th best defensive record in the league on 31 points in a normal season because the players can’t finish the chances his system creates for them.

That makes heaps of sense. Are we seriously still on this merry go round? He isn’t the problem and frankly he’s gotten great results from a terrible squad. It isn’t his fault that our forward line are atrocious at finishing, he can only train them so much.

Let’s relax, get to the end of the season and hopefully have something to spend on wingers and a centre forward this summer. I have absolutely no doubts about us staying up, with or without us getting our points back.

You have to possess the ball and see the game out, not sit back and just keep inviting them onto you and then hoof it clear and let them just come right back. Horrible from Dyche. Coward tactics to see out the game.
1-1 is a good result 1-0 up against 10 men you’re a hoof ball team doesn’t give you much of an advantage. You need to keep the ball and kill the game. But it this way there’s no way we get a draw if circumstances are reversed

No, we have more talent than Luton, but they are exceeding their expectations as well.

I’ll agree with that. I do think we are on a par with teams like Brentford and Palace in terms of talent at the moment, so I still think we’re about on as many points as we could hope to be. Let’s hope we can make the remaining home games count and be more positive, as our survival depends on it, assuming we’ll not get any points back which is a dangerous game to be playing.

He’s in the same category as your Allardyce’s, Warnock’s etc.
Yeah, it's one thing if you have a situation where a manager has some ideas but just doesn't have the set of players to execute them or is at least in the process of getting the players he does have to learn how to execute them (see Pochettino at Chelsea).

But here, it feels like the team is playing exactly how Dyche wants. It's not an issue of the manager not getting what he wants out of the team, it's an issue of what the manager wants not being the right thing.

West Ham will set up exactly the same way Palace did last week. Men behind the ball, catch us on the break. Dyche has to be braver in his selection- Onana and Garner in midfield, allow full backs to get forward to support the wingers. A team plan to win the game, not simply to make us ‘hard to break down.’

1-1 is a good result 1-0 up against 10 men you’re a hoof ball team doesn’t give you much of an advantage. You need to keep the ball and kill the game. But it this way there’s no way we get a draw if circumstances are reversed
Circumstances weren’t reversed. In no way is 1-1 a good result with how it was all set up. Two points dropped and now add in the mindset that when up one goal and one man we can see it out.