2023/24 Sean Dyche

To put it a different way, if he wants to make a real impact and a name for himself at the club and in the top flight then he is failing miserably

If he is simply trying to achieve the likely basic goal given to him of getting enough points to be better than 3 other teams then he is doing fine

I only care about the second one

Seriously? regarding Dyche getting more out of DCL
Just because he is fit and on the pitch doesnt mean we should be grateful, he has got a very rare fit DCL and cant get nothing from him, zero.

We will always play scruffy thats Dyche in a nutshell, no plan to dissect teams just hope and prey we defend well and get lucky from a set piece. Proper Allardyce and Pulis style urggghhh

Its utter garbage, we might 'click' once every 10 games were we play well but in general it makes my eyes bleed.
The football isn’t great but we are creating chances. We never did that under Alardyce.
We are playing pragmatic football I agree. But we are never going to play much better with the players we have at our disposal.
How else can we set up? Who would be our nippy, pacy wingers?

The football isn’t great but we are creating chances. We never did that under Alardyce.
We are playing pragmatic football I agree. But we are never going to play much better with the players we have at our disposal.
Can create overloads through having fullbacks overlapping. Can push players closer to the forward. Could drop DCL and have Beto and tell Garner and Onana to play the ball on the floor in front of him, as that's his game. Could use Danjuma when fit who, with overlapping FBs will have space to cut in and shoot.

So many things you could do to create chances as opposed to smashing a ball 50 yards to DCL's head and hoping we get a corner.

Any arguments about the quality of our players being the reason we can't do basic attacking is just excusing the inexcusable from our inept manager.

Don't have essentially 4 full backs due to instructions. It even worked well enough during our purple patch of 4 wins with Mykolenko going forward.

Try to play it on the ground more than once an attack - last night is prime example of this - open passes to the side and in front in good positions, so what do we do? Exactly, hoof to DCL.

Actually prepare a team with a plan B and to play football every once in a while. Not even all the time, just occasionally.

Maybe don't play some turbogash pensioner because of ExPeRiEnCe when he's an absolute net negative for us and has been for all but 1 of his games in a blue shirt.

There's more than 1 way to set up to play direct football, but that's only true if you're not Sean Dyche. We played direct football at times under Ancelotti too, but it looked better as we had players actually moving around, not waiting for Dom to do something alone up top or to Doucoure to kick the ball with the correct corner of his 50p-shaped feet.

People making excuses for him as if we're limited at every single thing is hilarious, especially due to how some of those limitations are imposed by him as well.

Also to people saying "he'll adapt" - he hasn't adapted in his entire career, he only knows 1 way to play, but I can't wait for the next masterclass video about a draw or something.

Is Mcneil better than what he showing?
DCL?
Harrison?
Onana?
Garner?
Gana?

Is he getting the best out of them? The answer is NO

Not saying he hasnt got a tough job and he is probably the man right now as the guy has broad shoulders to deal with all the 'noise' around the club, but beyond this season we need to change in the summer or we will be in for another season of uncertainty.

If/when we get a new owner then with that should come a new manager.

Well...yeah cos without the deduction we'd be 12th.

We can set up the same way but have a different style of playing, why Pickford or the CBs are instructed to hoof it? 8/10 we give possession away again then on the back foot. If we do win the header flick on do we have anyone running beyond DCL? no so whats the point, he aint bringing the ball down on his head. Does he not know how to set up a team to play from midfield (obviously not)

You don't need nippy pacy wingers just wingers that are high up the pitch when we have possession and work the ball to create a yard of space to whip one in rather than them being a defender first and an attacker second.

The diagonal balls would be more effective if Mykolenko, McNeil, Godfrey or Young could drive at the full-backs and take people on or if our full-backs would overlap. Tarkowski has been spraying the ball decently, but it's often chested down and eventually passed back to either Branthwaite or Tarkowski, and the long passing starts again.

Remember when the prospect of Allardyce and his football had fans up in arms.

Now we embrace it. Shows what the club is now.

But that's the point that I don't understand some fans don't get

We were never at risk of relegation when we appointed that smug git and he should never have been at the club in the first place. On top of that we were, compared to now, relatively stable where fans including myself could hope for and discuss all day long better options and a path to improvement on the pitch in style and competitiveness

However right now we are the biggest mess of a club in the league, have players who have turned in some of the worst and weakest performances I've seen in the last 3yrs and have barely scraped survival with a game to spare two seasons in a row.

You are damn right fans are embracing a manager that has 30 points in February and even with a 10pt deduction has us looking like we will have enough to stay up.

It's a totally different scenario and one we haven't been in for 20yrs.

We desperately need some pace/players who can pass a ball forward with conviction.

Can see why they wanted Gnonto.

Keep saying it, but we have nothing from full back areas - neither are supplying goals, and no pace at all on the wing. Even with Doucoure back in there, we're relying on a bit of chaos because there's no composure there and all that is trying to supply a striker devoid of confidence, with a replacement strikers (£45m worth) not the right profile for how we're best setup to scrounge enough points to stay up.

We desperately need some pace/players who can pass a ball forward with conviction.

Can see why they wanted Gnonto.

Keep saying it, but we have nothing from full back areas - neither are supplying goals, and no pace at all on the wing. Even with Doucoure back in there, we're relying on a bit of chaos because there's no composure there and all that is trying to supply a striker devoid of confidence, with a replacement strikers (£45m worth) not the right profile for how we're best setup to scrounge enough points to stay up.
If we go down - that style of caveman football will keep us down - Pickford our goal creator = Hoof

I'm not sure if all that was tongue in cheek or you actually mean it eggs.

I suspect the latter.

I agree that Dyche has been dealt a poor hand but his lack of plan B , his team selections and refusal to make proactive subs are effective counters to the argument that he is doing a terrific job.

If he keeps us up great , I suppose. But where's the enjoyment of watching this rubbish knowing that our sole ambition is to scrape enough points to stay in the division every season.

We need a reset, a new way of playing , one that engaged fans and raises hope and expectations.

If that means selling Pickford , Branthwaite , Onana and DCL and rebuilding under a progressive manager so be it.

….definitely not tongue in cheek, I’ve been really impressed with how he sets this team up and gives us a chance of winning games. There’s a stereotype of his teams playing hoof ball, of him having favourites, on players being ‘Dyche fit’ but lots of the time I don’t mind watching his Everton.

He manages to cope with key players being out and he encourages players to get forward. There was a point in the first half at City where we had 4 players in the box when we broke down the right. He has to deal with the lack of quality in the top third, wide players without the ability to go past opposition players.

We struggle against the poorer teams who sit in because we haven’t got the talent to score or create from nothing, yet we still had enough chances to win last night. Apparently only one team has conceded less than us from open play, that’s an impressive testament to him and even last night it took a worldly for Palace to score.

I’d actually like to see Dyche working with an effective DoF who provides him with the attacking ammunition we need. We’re lucky to have Dyche at this time.