2023/24 Sean Dyche

Not sure why some are being so defensive over him due to the points deduction. Either way it was a terrible performance. This is a Palace side without their two best players, they've just sacked their manager because they've been crap and they're playing away from home. To go through the majority of the game showing hardly any attacking intent and making the same daft decisions is really frustrating. It really winds me up that our players always take silly pot shots from 30 yards when a defender clears it. The composure is awful and if we change some of those shots into passes we would have much better chance to score. It was clear that Wharton was running the game but we didn't make any tactical alterations to isolate him and cut off the good work he was doing for them. It is really worrying for me at times that our main creative outlet is our veteran CB and GK.

Also that record where he doesn't win when conceding first is a really really bad stat to have.

…..doing a magnificent job, I’d genuinely be concerned about losing him and would be seriously looking to extend his current deal.

Sure, we’d have different selection views and I would challenge the decision to start Young and not utilise Dobbin (in the Doucoure position) from the bench but if you lack quality then you have to organise your team accordingly and we’re one of the best defensive units in the division.

The void of attacking quality is not his fault, it’s his problem. Dyche can only work with what he’s given and yet Thelwell escapes criticism for wasting a fortune on inadequate central strikers.

With all that’s been going on Dyche continues to give us a chance, I don’t think there’s many in the game who would do that with our troubles and this squad. Terrific work.
I'm not sure if all that was tongue in cheek or you actually mean it eggs.

I suspect the latter.

I agree that Dyche has been dealt a poor hand but his lack of plan B , his team selections and refusal to make proactive subs are effective counters to the argument that he is doing a terrific job.

If he keeps us up great , I suppose. But where's the enjoyment of watching this rubbish knowing that our sole ambition is to scrape enough points to stay in the division every season.

We need a reset, a new way of playing , one that engaged fans and raises hope and expectations.

If that means selling Pickford , Branthwaite , Onana and DCL and rebuilding under a progressive manager so be it.

I think last night underlined why he is the right man for the time now. But that's all.

His limitations were borne in the line up he put out.

You're deluding yourself. Everyone in that line up either cost decent money or is supposedly rated highly and would sell for big fees. The only two that don't fit into that category are Tarks and Young who have about a thousand top flight games under their belt.

For the players he has Dyche is underperforming in my book.

Not sure why some are being so defensive over him due to the points deduction. Either way it was a terrible performance. This is a Palace side without their two best players, they've just sacked their manager because they've been crap and they're playing away from home. To go through the majority of the game showing hardly any attacking intent and making the same daft decisions is really frustrating. It really winds me up that our players always take silly pot shots from 30 yards when a defender clears it. The composure is awful and if we change some of those shots into passes we would have much better chance to score. It was clear that Wharton was running the game but we didn't make any tactical alterations to isolate him and cut off the good work he was doing for them. It is really worrying for me at times that our main creative outlet is our veteran CB and GK.

Also that record where he doesn't win when conceding first is a really really bad stat to have.
A large set of fans finally have the British manager playing garbage backs against the wall garbage negative football they have wanted ever since moyes left.

The problem is both the manager and the players. Only a few are skilful or athletic enough to play more attractive football.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear

You're deluding yourself. Everyone in that line up either cost decent money, is supposedly rated highly and would sell for big fees. The only two that don't fit into that category are Tarks and Young who have about a thousand top flight games under their belt.

For the players he has Dyche is underperforming in my book.
Just because we paid a lot of money doesn't mean they're any good.

Regardless, that was utterly horrible to watch. Pure Allardyce, except I'm not even sure they'd figures out the percentages.

Is Mcneil better than what he showing?
DCL?
Harrison?
Onana?
Garner?
Gana?

Is he getting the best out of them? The answer is NO

Not saying he hasnt got a tough job and he is probably the man right now as the guy has broad shoulders to deal with all the 'noise' around the club, but beyond this season we need to change in the summer or we will be in for another season of uncertainty.

If/when we get a new owner then with that should come a new manager.
Ok.
So let me counter this.
Mcniel is playing to his level. He sticks decent ball in, but is limited by pace.
Same could be said for Harrison.
They are lower midtable premier league players playing at their level.
DCL is busted flush. Playing at 90% to stop injuries, in fairness Dyche has got more out of him in the last 4 years than anyone else.
Gana is past his peak
Garner is young and still a premier novice - could go either way.
Onana who knows - I’d take 50m if anyone offered it though.

He has a poor hand of cards but I can’t see where he improves it. The bench is poor.
Yesterday we were the better team. We win scruffy, everyone is happy. I think we are fine this season barring another points deduction

Spot on, this manager just gets teams too just about exist, that was bad on the eyes last night, up there with Mike Walker performance and fat Sam's

His Burnley team got relegated trying not to concede and drawing a lot of games. It's all very well saying he doesn't have the players, but the reason we aren't conceding is because we're so conservative going forward. We looked like we had a bit more to us when Mykolenko and McNeil started playing further up the pitch, and we stopped playing a full back at right wing. If there was ever a game to be a bit more adventurous, it was last night. They were time wasting for a draw, against us, ffs

I'm not sure if all that was tongue in cheek or you actually mean it eggs.

I suspect the latter.

I agree that Dyche has been dealt a poor hand but his lack of plan B , his team selections and refusal to make proactive subs are effective counters to the argument that he is doing a terrific job.

If he keeps us up great , I suppose. But where's the enjoyment of watching this rubbish knowing that our sole ambition is to scrape enough points to stay in the division every season.

We need a reset, a new way of playing , one that engaged fans and raises hope and expectations.

If that means selling Pickford , Branthwaite , Onana and DCL and rebuilding under a progressive manager so be it.

I said this last night.

Its right at the tipping point now where the football is so depressing to watch, that I'm not arsed either way what happens this season.

The leagues bent, we've got one kf the worst squads I can remember in memory, it's arlarse anti football played at pedestrian speed and I'd hate to be a 10 year old kid right now with your mum and dad saying "right, it's matchday today I bet you can't wait to go".

The squad is as bad as anything we had since the early 90s, at least we had Peter Beardsley ffs and he was worth paying to just watch him.

Get the points back, great. Don't get the points back, so what it doesn't change how absolutely crap we are as a team and club and the next upcoming game will be as crap as the last one and the one before that apart from the odd good half of football or one decent move every 100 minutes

In support of Dyche, he seems to have raised expectation - because we have been garbage since Ancelotti left (and arguably not much better whilst he was here).
We have been fighting relegation for seasons.

The club is imploding with an owner who wants out and couldn't give less of a damn beyond selling. We are scraping the barrel for players because we don't have the cash or stability to close deals. The club is mounting up debt and loans seemingly by the quarter.

On top of that, we are unwanted by the league and the sycophantic press.

That Dyche has the team organised, fit and largely focused is an achievement - we could do / have done much worse, he is bottom of my hit list.

Football managers bare the brunt - they know that and don't need our sympathy but a bit of support might be helpful in the clubs dire situation.

Sure we’re tough out of possession and well organised. Which is a much appreciated improvement.

Unfortunately football predominantly is played with a football.

The less you play with it, the more obvious it is, and for me that’s where we’re at.

There has to be an attempt to play football, on the floor, going back to Pickford & Tarkowski to send it long every opportunity is really hurting the team long term.

If it was mixed up it’d be fine but it’s not.

Then we’re left wondering why we can’t break a team down after going 1-0.

So easy to defend stray long balls, even when we get the first ball no one can play with it on the ground.

Dyche after going behind has NOT won in 57 games and has only drawn 5 of those…

He’s done a great job this season. The points deduction must be difficult to navigate as mentality wise it would have had an impact to the players.

Equally he can do a great job, be the right manager for the foreseeable, while also having a poor performance himself every now and then. Last night was one of those.

The line up was unbelievably slow and it was the worst team selection he’s made given the players we had on the bench.

Understand why he’d not want both Onana and Doucoure on the pitch at the same time with them both coming back from injuries, but the entire midfield and attack had no pace.

Another thing that I wasn’t blaming him for previously as much was DCL missing chance after chance, but he’s persisted with him despite having Beto on the bench.

We need a win from one of Brighton or West Ham. With the line up being the same defence but:

Harrison Onana Garner McNeil
Doucoure
Beto