2023/24 Sean Dyche

The defence looked shambolic even with Tarks and Branthwaite playing.
Not really.

This is the record since Branthwaite got introduced from the start after Michael Keane's horror show at Villa.

1702064275081.png

DCL returned to the starting 11 at Brentford. It's not a concidence that we started to sure it up a bit when branthwaite was introduced and we started to take chances when DCL returned.

We should have 100% beaten Wolves. Go and re-watch the highlights or extended highlights. The signs were there. It wasn't perfect, but the signs were absolutely there mate.

It was but they were tired and weren't even pressing for most of it. It's a great goal, but it does have that caveat.
Yes it does have that caveat, but, nevertheless, it was pretty slick and unlike anything I have come to expect from a Dyche team. For one thing I was amazed that we were still trying to go forward at that stage of a game when we were two goals up.

Not really.

This is the record since Branthwaite got introduced from the start after Michael Keane's horror show at Villa.

View attachment 237861

DCL returned to the starting 11 at Brentford. It's not a concidence that we started to sure it up a bit when branthwaite was introduced and we started to take chances when DCL returned.

We should have 100% beaten Wolves. Go and re-watch the highlights or extended highlights. The signs were there. It wasn't perfect, but the signs were absolutely there mate.
I think you’ll find that the big improvement in performance was once the midfield was functioning properly. When Garner and Onana began playing as a partnership with Doucoure playing as a number 10, that aligned with the return to fitness of McNeil and Harrison whose work rate and defensive responsibility made it much harder for teams to get at the back line.

Why have you put Conor " I'm a racist " McGregor on a blue horse?

Because AI struggles a lot with actual likenesses of people, even with truly iconic faces. Like, these are the iterations it put out when i asked it to illustrate the famous Jazz concerts Sean Dyche and Leighton Baines have played together so many times for the delight of us Everton fans. Really struggles with getting the faces entirely right, but it sure does well with the instruments themselves!

jazz.jpg

Because AI struggles a lot with actual likenesses of people, even with truly iconic faces. Like, these are the iterations it put out when i asked it to illustrate the famous Jazz concerts Sean Dyche and Leighton Baines have played together so many times for the delight of us Everton fans. Really struggles with getting the faces entirely right, but it sure does well with the instruments themselves!

View attachment 237883
I wondered why Dyche always seems to struggle to clear his throat.

Yes it does have that caveat, but, nevertheless, it was pretty slick and unlike anything I have come to expect from a Dyche team. For one thing I was amazed that we were still trying to go forward at that stage of a game when we were two goals up.
I thought when we went 1 up, we would go defensive and shrink into our box to try and see it out. 2 mins later, we had 5 players pressing their defence into another mistake. Couldn’t believe how many we were committing.

Not really.

View attachment 237861

As a side note, 1 defeat in 7 is pretty good form 👍

I think you’ll find that the big improvement in performance was once the midfield was functioning properly. When Garner and Onana began playing as a partnership with Doucoure playing as a number 10, that aligned with the return to fitness of McNeil and Harrison whose work rate and defensive responsibility made it much harder for teams to get at the back line.

We outchanced and outplayed both Fulham and Wolves by a large margin. Wed go through entire matches giving up 1-2 chances and they’d go in because Keane sucks or Gana ran out of position.

Tactics weren’t changed, we just stopped making individual, boneheaded mistakes, got our strikers here and fit along with Harrison, and put players in who are better at covering up mistakes.

Newcastle got past our midfield quite easily at times last night, but had to contend with the likes of Coleman and Branthwaite as well as in form Tarkowski and Mykolenko.

That and Gordon is a terrible finisher.

I think you’ll find that using that phrase makes you sound like an arse.

Just saying.

We outchanced and outplayed both Fulham and Wolves by a large margin. Wed go through entire matches giving up 1-2 chances and they’d go in because Keane sucks or Gana ran out of position.

Tactics weren’t changed, we just stopped making individual, boneheaded mistakes, got our strikers here and fit along with Harrison, and put players in who are better at covering up mistakes.

Newcastle got past our midfield quite easily at times last night, but had to contend with the likes of Coleman and Branthwaite as well as in form Tarkowski and Mykolenko.

I find it hard to believe that the team consistently played in a certain manner, game after game, without this being the managers instructions. The backline was left exposed consistently in the early part of the season, because the midfield was all pressing the ball. Was that just down to Gana making mistakes or Dyche’s instructions? I’ve no idea, I’m inclined to believe it was Dyche’s instructions as the midfield seems much less “gung ho” regardless of who is playing in there now, whether it’s Garner, Onana, Gana.

We absolutely outclassed Fulham and Wolves, mistakes have reduced, got the right players in the right position... but I think things have also changed tactically since the Sheff Utd game. We have massively closed the gap between the midfield and defence when defending and winning way more second balls, especially around the edge of our box. The amount of goals we conceded because of this gap start of the season was ridiculous.