2023/24 Sean Dyche

Arteta was highly thought of though by peers in the qualification sessions and by Guardiola, people ‘in the know’ ght he would make a good manager (I appreciate that often the next ‘big thing’ fails) - I am not sure Rooney talked about in those same terms. I think it was right to question Arteta’s suitability at Everton, not because of him, but because of us….we are not in a steady enough position to give a young manager time and funds to develop the team
Arteta is an intelligent person who learnt his trade from Pep, Wenger and other managers over the years.

Rooney is a caveman who only knows the word Erm.

I am not sure Rooney talked about in those same terms. I think it was right to question Arteta’s suitability at Everton, not because of him, but because of us….we are not in a steady enough position to give a young manager time and funds to develop the team
I have no doubt had Arteta come to us he would have ‘failed’ and been sacked.
Imo there’s a huge difference between where Arsenal are as a club and their overall mentality and where we are.
We have suffered death by a thousand cuts since the 90’s and since mosh came around the mentality around the squad(s) and the club has hit rock bottom.
We need a Magician not an up and coming manager.

….there’s no way even Moshiri would get rid of Dyche. if he keeps us up, he’ll be our manager when we move to BMD.
And if he doesnt win football games, he will be sacked sharpish.

But under Moshiri most managers have limped to January, but I dont think any recent manager has started this badly?

So after the next 2 games we could be some very uncharted waters.

Im rooting for Big Sean here by the way.

Are there any other managers that people look at (that are either out of work, or way down the food chain given the club will be very reluctant to pay another huge compensation package) and do genuinely think would come in and do a better job than Dyche?

I personally think Dyche is doing a fine job, and is the best we could have in our situation - but I am curious given some people do feel so strongly about Dyche being tactically inept/seem keen to get rid.
Marcelo Gallardo

Could we even afford to sack Dych though ? And pay even more for a new manager, besides that who would be fool enough to take our gig at the moment.
I'd have thought we have cash for that after the summer window. We brought in much more than we spent but its been an annual financial penalty for seasons now, the sackings. At some point we will have to back a manager for longer than a season. We haven't got the points on the board yet this season, which is disappointing, but our luck has to turn at some point.

Arteta is an intelligent person who learnt his trade from Pep, Wenger and other managers over the years.

Rooney is a caveman who only knows the word Erm.
I’d agree that Rooney is not particularly articulate, and doesn’t strike (most people I would have thought) as academically intelligent, in the Frank Lampard ‘I’ve got loads of GCSE’s’ way. As a footballer, he undoubtedly had a significant level of football intelligence (more on the ball than off it) I just don’t think he will be able to transfer that ability into management and that’s a general failure with most top footballers…..brilliant at football, not so good at managing.

I’d agree that Rooney is not particularly articulate, and doesn’t strike (most people I would have thought) as academically intelligent, in the Frank Lampard ‘I’ve got loads of GCSE’s’ way. As a footballer, he undoubtedly had a significant level of football intelligence (more on the ball than off it) I just don’t think he will be able to transfer that ability into management and that’s a general failure with most top footballers…..brilliant at football, not so good at managing.
I was a bit harsh on the boy Rooney.

I have no idea whether he will become a good manager, I dont think he looks much atm, but it was wrong to attack his intelligence.