2023/24 Sean Dyche

Be careful what you wish for , there's loads of good managers out there but Everton will just go for the most obvious one there is and we'll be here again having the same convos next year.

It's a results business and ultimately - if we look like we are going down and another manager reduces the likelihood of us going down, then bin him. It's always Everton first, and it's all about staying in the league until the stadium is done/new ownership.

But, like with managers before him - he's working with relegation fodder.

And for me, he has some credentials of working with relegation fodder and the pragmatism/% football that comes with it. I can't name one manager who I think would come, who helps improve our odds.

I'm late to the party but found these quotes telling;

Toffees manager Sean Dyche, addressing the £22m sale of Iwobi to Fulham on Deadline Day in his pre-match interview ahead of the 2-2 draw with Sheffield United, told TNT Sports: “It's not ideal. We're stretched.

“The business model of the club is changing. We didn't want Alex to leave but you have to look at the reality of the situation.”

He said: “We were hoping to do more in the market but obviously we all know about the situation in the market, how we are trying to construct deals, we didn’t get what we want, and Alex Iwobi left us which is a shame because I think he is a top player. We wish him well beyond our situation. But anyway, with all of that being considered, when everyone is back fit I think we will see a group that is competitive again.”

Asked how close he felt the club got to Gnonto, Dyche said: “We weren’t close enough to any situation. The truth is that certain parameters and guidelines is where we are at. The club is not where it was two or three years ago, that is apparent. I always thought, manage what you can, manage the realities. The transfer window makes news, when everyone is fit and you look at our group there are still some very good players here, and a number of them. Sometimes that gets overlooked. I believe in what is here and I believe in the players we have got here. So far this season I think we have delivered way better than what we got back but you cannot rely on that. We have to keep delivering big performances.”

It's a results business and ultimately - if we look like we are going down and another manager reduces the likelihood of us going down, then bin him. It's always Everton first, and it's all about staying in the league until the stadium is done/new ownership.

And for me, he has some credentials of working with relegation fodder and the pragmatism/% football that comes with it. I can't name one manager who I think would come, who helps improve our odds.

I'm late to the party but found these quotes telling;
I dont think hes working with relegation fodder.

As he says, he has some good players at the club, its up to him to get them to fit a system that wins games.

Now granted we are VERY light, so any injury will hurt us big time, the last few weeks he has had a number of injuries.

But once and if we can get some players fit, I think he has enough players to get results.

Im not going to pretend its perfect, our full backs are all jokes, sure Patters did ok for once and Young hasnt been as bad as some people suggest, but they arent really at a decent quality. We have no options in midfield, but thankfully I do like the look of our attacking options, so thats a small crumb of comfort I suppose.

I might be unrealistic in how I judge the squad or rather our best 11, but I do believe we have some talented players and I do think a good manager should be able to knit them together into a team that wins football matches.

What other prem League team would you say is similar to ours?

I keep hearing that we have some good players. We do but enough of them?

When dyche was at Burnley, was he over achieving with that squad or did he have a similar squad to what he has now?

Better than Luton, sheff utd, Burnley?

Better than bournemouth, wolves fulham, palace, forest.

Better than west ham, Brentford, villa, Brighton.

Better than Chelsea, Newcastle, man utd, spurs

Better than man city, Liverpool, arsenal.

The above are what I think each squad is at. Where would you put Everton in that?

Right so are we judging managers solely on their first 4 games of the season then? You said we've had the easiest start - didn't exactly specify that you were only counting the first 4 games.
Wtf
I can’t even remember what I replied to now, but anyway. Something about 1 point. Fulham, wolves at home, villa, Sheffield utd away is a very easy start. You can dress up as much as you like

And for me, he has some credentials of working with relegation fodder and the pragmatism/% football that comes with it.
I can't name one manager who I think would come who helps improve our odds
Me neither, though I'm sure somebody will take the no doubt big money on offer.

If he doesn't get the average points per game ratio up soon - eg,11pts for the first 10 games maybe
Yes we've had some game we should be winning.

But the key point for me is how many games will Dyche get before whoever is calling these things, runs out of patience, presses the panic button.
10? 12? 15?(6th Dec)

I think both things can currently be true regardless of the low points total so far....

..he's crap
...he's good enough to make sure we finish a few PTS off relegation and be safe with a few weeks to spare

So long as that holds true we won't move him and I'm not overly interested in analysing how crap we are.

Keeps losing though and quickly one of the two statements becomes less true and we will bin him

I dont think hes working with relegation fodder.

Results the past 3 years dictate that he is mate.

It's not a blip - a team who survives by the skin of their teeth for successive seasons is relegation fodder.

As he says, he has some good players at the club, its up to him to get them to fit a system that wins games.

He's kept that narrative since day one - but then in the same breath he'll say we didnt do what we need, consider that against what he said after Bournemouth.

Now granted we are VERY light, so any injury will hurt us big time, the last few weeks he has had a number of injuries.

But once and if we can get some players fit, I think he has enough players to get results.

Our first 11 is OK to stay up - but the reality of the game dictates we wont see that 11 enough.

If we had McNeil, Harrison and Beto we probably beat Fulham and Wolves.

Im not going to pretend its perfect, our full backs are all jokes, sure Patters did ok for once and Young hasnt been as bad as some people suggest, but they arent really at a decent quality. We have no options in midfield, but thankfully I do like the look of our attacking options, so thats a small crumb of comfort I suppose.

I might be unrealistic in how I judge the squad or rather our best 11, but I do believe we have some talented players and I do think a good manager should be able to knit them together into a team that wins football matches.

First 11, fully fit, should be 12-15th IMO.

We've not had that and it's shown.

Lose Beto to a bad injury and then what?

What other prem League team would you say is similar to ours?

I keep hearing that we have some good players. We do but enough of them?

When dyche was at Burnley, was he over achieving with that squad or did he have a similar squad to what he has now?

Better than Luton, sheff utd, Burnley?

Better than bournemouth, wolves fulham, palace, forest.

Better than west ham, Brentford, villa, Brighton.

Better than Chelsea, Newcastle, man utd, spurs

Better than man city, Liverpool, arsenal.

The above are what I think each squad is at. Where would you put Everton in that?
Better than Luton, Sheff Utd and Burnley.

Similar to Bournemouth, Wolves, Fulham.

Palace and Forest have goal-scorers in their squads. That’s why I’d say they have a slight edge.

All the other 11 teams definitely have better starting XIs and squads.

So defo better than 3 and no worse than another 3 teams - 14th to 17th best squad IMO.

Think manager is probably in similar ish range -10th to 16th best in league.

Based on the above, and other things like luck play a part, I’d expect a finish between about 12th and 17th. Chances of bottom 3 are still quite small at this point.