2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen a lot of folks on the forum swallowing the lazy punditry line about Dyche automatically meaning low block, boring football - reasonable since the Burnley games that were televised are the ones where they needed to sit deep and defend against the Top 6, but not actually true.

Yes it'll be defensive (we are joint bottom) but it certainly doesn't mean the high press will evaporate over night. The press might get triggered less given the fixtures ahead and our position in the league, but crucially, it'll be far better organised - simply because we have a much better coach (and the same would be true if it was Bielsa).

Burnley regressed in his final year, but certainly in the two years prior, they were regularly much further up the pitch than people recognise - here's a few examples:

Everton 1 - 2 Burnley -

EwYf6q4W8AUpQQ6

Leicester 1 - 1 Burnley -

EwYf6qsW8AU3xK4

Burnley 1 - 1 Arsenal -

EwYf6qqXEAs3DAD

and what the closest example to what I think we'll see under Dyche at Goodison (two forwards press, midfield and backline push up to win the resulting long ball, counter) - Burnley 2 - 0 Fulham to send Fulham down -

cadbb1ffeaa622f6cc83397b93141c29.png

Figured I'd requote this to get more eyes on it

Bielsa was never the right choice in the circumstances we are in. I'd love to see my team playing a fast pressing game and scoring loads of goals but it ain't gonna happen with these players and he would have needed a complete pre season to plan. Dyche was the only realistic option given the squad we have.

So its going to be Dyche then. I was hoping to at least enjoy the final 18 games in the PL. Going to be a pretty dire and uninspiring end to the season now. All i can hope for now is that somehow he proves people wrong and ends up being surprising and awesome. Not holding my breath though. His most recent records have been abysmal and we are not much better than Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.