2023/24 Seamus Coleman

If anyone deserves another season it's Seamus....however, I don't think it's healthy for the club that we should be doing this.

I think what might happen is that Coleman is retained as a stand in for a new RB yet to come in; Patterson will be sold or moved on; Young will also be retained to fill in at both FB berths in a crisis.

We'll have to have an upgrade for sure at RB.
  • Say goodbye to Young
  • Sell Patterson
  • New contract for Seamus
  • New starting RB comes in
  • Godfrey the utility man in an emergency

If anyone deserves another season it's Seamus....however, I don't think it's healthy for the club that we should be doing this.

I think what might happen is that Coleman is retained as a stand in for a new RB yet to come in; Patterson will be sold or moved on; Young will also be retained to fill in at both FB berths in a crisis.

We'll have to have an upgrade for sure at RB.

I think Patterson might be loaned out for a season. Although unlikely if he was to move on loan I would like it to be a move like JB had, a competitive team in their own division playing European football

Sounds like a plan.
You plan to buy this new right back with what exactly?

We'd have to get someone out of contract - out of contract players usually demand a higher wage.

It's poor recruitment for years- surely we should be trying to promote one of the under 18s - I'd rather have them on the bench than longeran as third choice keeper.

You plan to buy this new right back with what exactly?

We'd have to get someone out of contract - out of contract players usually demand a higher wage.

It's poor recruitment for years- surely we should be trying to promote one of the under 18s - I'd rather have them on the bench than longeran as third choice keeper.
There'll be sales of players.

If our right back options going into the season are still a combo of Seamus, Young, and Patterson, then we're doing it wrong. If there's a plan to bring someone new in as first choice and Seamus is being positioned as a backup/emergency option, then a 1 year contract is a good idea.

Yeah, remember it well, think it was 2 assists? Definitely played a part in both goals

Dont know if his debut was actually away at Benfica at LB against Di Maria ha
Debut in the Europa League group stage in a 5–0 loss to Benfica at the Estádio da Luz, being beaten to the ball by Javier Saviola for the first goal.[22] Three days later in his Goodison Park debut, a Premier League match against Tottenham Hotspur, Coleman was named Man of the Match after coming on as a first-half substitute for the injured Joseph Yobo, and played an instrumental part for both of Everton's goals in a 2–2 draw.[23]

Last edited:
If our right back options going into the season are still a combo of Seamus, Young, and Patterson, then we're doing it wrong. If there's a plan to bring someone new in as first choice and Seamus is being positioned as a backup/emergency option, then a 1 year contract is a good idea.
I imagine this to be the case.

I said the other day that I can also see Young being retained so that we have at FB:

Right side: new RB / Coleman and Young back up

Left side: Mykolenko / Young back up

I imagine his presence behind the scenes is massive btw, you can see how the lads react to him after the games, it's hard to replace things like that.
Yeah his dressing room influence has certainly brought us untold riches during his time here…

The lads been a good servant but he’s done.

How many players at top clubs are just offered new deals because they are nice lads? Absolutely none.

Small time loser mentality that is the legacy of Bill Kenwrights 30 year stewardship.

Seamus Coleman is up there with the very best of any transfer that Everton or indeed any Premier League club have ever done. He has been brilliant for the club in very aspect of the game. He isn’t the player he was, no one is at his age and given the seriousness of his leg break the very fact that he can still turn out is a credit to him as a person. His attitude hasn’t changed, he would still run through brick walls for the club.
I read a post above that asked do nice guys get retained by top clubs, a stupid question as we aren’t in the same position as top clubs, we are going to sell our best players to balance the books, bring in cheaper lesser players and hope we uncover a couple of gems. We need any money we can afford to buy starting players, not back ups. In this scenario the importance of having a player with Seamus’ experience is invaluable, can he play week in week out, no; would he get a spot on a top 6 club, no; if we had the money to replace all that needs replacing, then no, but given our position and our limited options I think we may need him.