2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great servant. Problem is he started last season well too then got injured because of course, full back is the most physically demanding position on the pitch and he is thirty three. It's absurd we have nobody of quality to back him up and eventually take over.
No new right back was coming once Townsend landed.

Don't mean this in a disrespectful way but they aren't Irish players to lose mate. Serious question, would you rather the Irish team be full of Irish players but not that good or littered with Irish/English and he half decent?
Your not been disrespectful in any way. I think we have always relied on the granny rule.
Any irish/English players have always been embraced and are seen as Irish by the fans. Some of these players do see themselves as Irish then. We have had loads of them.
Both Rice &, grealish have played underage for ireland , I think rice actually played a senior friendly so both were very close to declaring. I for one would have loved to have seen both in the green jersey

I don’t think you mean to be disrespectful, but your comment is a bit ignorant.
I believe both players played for Ireland teams at youth level.
Nationality is not straight forward. Country of birth, where you grew up, where you’ve lived a long time, where you are proud of, where your parents came from … can all play a part.
In football, it’s also about where is your best chance of success.
Grealish and Rice both chose England. Good luck to them, but anyone who saw the excitement of the Jack charlton Era would take a few anglo Irish players of quality over some in the squad now.
Ignorant hahah how? It was a genuine question.

Both rice and grealish were born and bread in England, their heart was obviously set on representing England one day hence they switched nationality when the opportunity arose. My point was would you want players representing Ireland purely based on the fact they aren't good enough for England, not because they have genuine love got the country ( not always the case of course )

Ignorant hahah how? It was a genuine question.

Both rice and grealish were born and bread in England, their heart was obviously set on representing England one day hence they switched nationality when the opportunity arose. My point was would you want players representing Ireland purely based on the fact they aren't good enough for England, not because they have genuine love got the country ( not always the case of course )
There are an almost inexhaustible number of examples of people who have loved Ireland despite not living there.
Please don't be too offended by the word ignorant. I just mean you're not aware.

I dont think it's great for us that Coleman will likely be playing the full 90 in 3 competitive games in a short space of time for Ireland. Of course I accept that playing for his nation is an honour etc but there is no doubt at his age that he will be in worse shape coming back from international duty.

I dont think it's great for us that Coleman will likely be playing the full 90 in 3 competitive games in a short space of time for Ireland. Of course I accept that playing for his nation is an honour etc but there is no doubt at his age that he will be in worse shape coming back from international duty.
Agree but he will have 6 days recovery from Serbia on Tuesday.

As much as football is in reality a cold-hearted business, Seamus is the undeniable embodiment of the intangible romance of what makes it worth following. I desperately want him to finish this season on his own terms at a high level. Of the many bitterness-inducing decisions by management, failure to have a replacement in situ for him this year will bum me out more than most. Cheers to all you marvelous Toffees!

Considering we are crap and our future is bleak. No one is even thinking about sacking the manager after 15 games and zero wins.

He should hang up his international boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.