2020/21 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a yank, I came to the club for Howard, but fell in love and had no choice but to stay forever. And the players that became my true favorites in the long run were Baines and Coleman.

I’ve already had to see one hero retire with no silverware and without a proper send-off from a stadium full of fans. Now in the twilight of his career, Seamus may not be the same player he was, but here’s to hoping that we can send him out in a better way whenever the time comes.

UTFT!

As a yank, I came to the club for Howard, but fell in love and had no choice but to stay forever. And the players that became my true favorites in the long run were Baines and Coleman.

I’ve already had to see one hero retire with no silverware and without a proper send-off from a stadium full of fans. Now in the twilight of his career, Seamus may not be the same player he was, but here’s to hoping that we can send him out in a better way whenever the time comes.

UTFT!
Another one not good enough to play in a team trying to get in the European places.

UTFT!
They'll be non of that on here pal, don't you know what happens when they get to 30, their legs fall off and they get put down,no time for sentimentality here.

UTFT!
I'm with you. I get the vitriol directed at players who aren't trying, or are convinced they're 10 times better than they actually are, but Seamus has been an excellent player in his day, and never gives less than 100%. He can't help not being as good as he was, or being the best we've currently got, even in his present condition, so it would be nice if he went out on some kind of a high. Maybe coming on as a sub in our 3-0 FA Cup Final win, and accepting the trophy. Fantasy never killed anyone. (Except people who think they can fly, obviously).

I'm with you. I get the vitriol directed at players who aren't trying, or are convinced they're 10 times better than they actually are, but Seamus has been an excellent player in his day, and never gives less than 100%. He can't help not being as good as he was, or being the best we've currently got, even in his present condition, so it would be nice if he went out on some kind of a high. Maybe coming on as a sub in our 3-0 FA Cup Final win, and accepting the trophy. Fantasy never killed anyone. (Except people who think they can fly, obviously).

Yeah, it’s perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that a player could be replaced in an upgrade (see Baines -> Digne) without turning all negative about him overall. What good does that do anyone?

Sure, Seamus doesn’t offer as much going forward, but he can still do a job in a defensive game (a la vs. Mane in the restart derby). So it’s not as if he’s useless.

And as you said, unlike some other players, there’s never been a question of his attitude and effort. So if appreciation for that is sentimentality, then I guess I am a sentimentalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.