Scouse Sleeping Beauty at the Royal Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spart

Player Valuation: £500k
Went to watch this last night (yeah, yeah I know, but I always go as its a bit of a tradition of ours to go see a show over Christmas)

Anyway, seen a few of these shows over the years and every one without fail always includes the unfunny Everton 'joke' and rarely a swipe at Liverpool for balance (last night it was the difficulty of finding our trophy room...ho, ho, hilarious)

So I got to thinking why is this?

The obvious answers are that Everton have given your typical third rate local scriptwriter plenty of material over the years for cheap shots to raise a cheap laugh. Added to that the writers are almost always gloryhunting reds and the majority in the audience will be too then perhaps it's understandable.

But then it dawned on me, when glancing around the room spotting the obvious blues shrugging the 'joke' off in time honoured fashion....can you imagine the absolute uproar there would be if a writer who was a blue aimed a cheap shot at them lot without providing another for balance? Fatwas against the writing team, boycotts of the theatre, no doubt an Echo special Investigation into the heracy on view in the city.

So whilst it's tiresome sitting through these things over and over again, it's not as uncomfortable as it could be if they ever did it to them.

Unfortunately they are a incredibly well run club and the opposite to how we are run. A blue could make jokes about there off the pitch stuff like destroying the city centre, acting like thugs in Madrid, setting fire to Liver buildings etc but that would be seen as poor taste. On the pitch we don't really have anything to laugh at thanks to thr likes of kenwright.

Went to watch this last night (yeah, yeah I know, but I always go as its a bit of a tradition of ours to go see a show over Christmas)

Anyway, seen a few of these shows over the years and every one without fail always includes the unfunny Everton 'joke' and rarely a swipe at Liverpool for balance (last night it was the difficulty of finding our trophy room...ho, ho, hilarious)

The obvious answers are that Everton have given your typical third rate local scriptwriter plenty of material over the years for cheap shots to raise a cheap laugh. Added to that the writers are almost always gloryhunting reds and the majority in the audience will be too then perhaps it's understandable.

But then it dawned on me, when glancing around the room spotting the obvious blues shrugging the 'joke' off in time honoured fashion....can you imagine the absolute uproar there would be if a writer who was a blue aimed a cheap shot at them lot without providing another for balance? Fatwas against the writing team, boycotts of the theatre, no doubt an Echo special Investigation into the heracy on view in the city.

So whilst it's tiresome sitting through these things over and over again, it's not as uncomfortable as it could be if they ever did it to them.
It’s just a joke mate, no need to get so worked up over it.

Stick to watching plays by Gerry Linford at the Royal Court mate, a big Evertonian who usually inserts an anti kopite reference into his scripts.

"Oh no they didn't!"

It's quite simple, it gets a laugh from kopites and blues are well known for laughing at ourselves too. It works.

"Spart"hmmmm... now there is a blast from the past on another forum.

Surprised with your team doing so well that you could be arsed going on an Everton forum to stir the pot ha.

20D9E286-CE5B-4242-A3D3-53DE8B88B3C8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.