Salary Cap / Luxury Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is Andy, we are not actually going to get better unless we spend some serious money.
There's a stronger correlation between wages and success than transfer fees and success. A salary cap that evened the playing field on wages for everyone would even out the leagues even if United or City could spend more on fees.

Fine ideas. . . . but we all know that ain't gonna happen.
Football is still a fantastic sport (at grass roots level) Professional football is no longer a sport any more than synchronised swimming is.
Unfortunately, people of my generation became besotted with a particular club.
Everton is part of my life and I could never give up watching or indeed having my mood dictated by our results.
I say unfortunately because if I wasn't so deeply emotionally invested in the club I'm sure I would get more enjoyment watching none league.
I doubt that I'm alone in that TBH.
I know what you mean. Everton is a class A drug you just can't shake. If football were invented today the government wouldn't allow it.

The club has no debt all our losses have been pretty much taken on by the owners - if they wish to keep doing that then sound thats what we wanted for years during the barren Kenwright years whilst Mansour and Abramovich were throwing money around.

Obviously we need to recruit better but there is no correlation between spending big and spending bad other than Everton of recent years - other clubs can and have done it fine.

The current system simply allows clubs like Man Utd who actually are saddled with debt to spend £73 million on Sancho and pay Ronaldo £480k a week whilst we can't spend more than £1.5 million.

Give me this new system that will at least allow us to compete even if it still benefits the ESL clubs.
That happened with Portsmouth, Leeds, Notts County etc etc it’s ok saying “oh the owners will cover” but if anything happens and they bail do you think they’re forgiving the £500m they’ve given you?? No, they’ll call it and if the business isn’t able to pay its bills then it goes bye bye.

Fairest solution would be to cap squad size at around 22, cap salaries at an acceptable level around say £30-40 grand p/a and restrict all teams to the expenditure of the least wealthy member.
Any profit over and above running costs can go to improve supporters facilities, invest in grass roots football and in the wider community.
Separate sporting excellence from monetary wealth.
Will never happen though.

Fairest solution would be to cap squad size at around 22, cap salaries at an acceptable level around say £30-40 grand p/a and restrict all teams to the expenditure of the least wealthy member.
Any profit over and above running costs can go to improve supporters facilities, invest in grass roots football and in the wider community.
Separate sporting excellence from monetary wealth.
Will never happen though.
The NBA system is probably the best for football. There's a salary cap but it has all sorts of rules and exceptions so it isn't a hard cap and one of the rules is you get taxed for going over the cap. This will appeal to teams like City who have owners who will willingly pay the tax. But the tax bill increases year to year as you stay above so it still prevents prolonged periods of domination by a team. It'll allow for teams with money like United, City and Chelsea to stay near the top but it'll also even it out enough that others can win and that no one can stay there indefinitely.

The premier league system prior to the introduction of this FFP BS was quite fair in its distribution of money; with one portion being shared equally between the 20 clubs, and the rest being prize money based on sporting performance and TV appearances. I think it should stay this way without any FFP nonsense.

If owners want to spend their own money on their own company then they should be allowed to do so. It’s been happening for years! Everton were considered big spenders under John Moores in years gone by, Blackburn, Chelsea and Manchester City were all allowed to do it. Abroad you’ve had Real Madrid and Barcelona spending their way to success for decades. Why does it need to stop now?

It’s only because the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool couldn’t cope with Manchester City dominating for a 20 year period like they have done so themselves in the past that they suddenly want to stop it.

Premier League clubs are businesses, their owners should be able to do whatever they want with them.

Salary cap would likely lead to silly loop holes like

£5m a year loyalty bonus or some other bogus thing to pay them more which doesn't class as "salary"

Throwing more big money around is not what we need to be doing for crying out loud sake.
We’re seeing effects right now of throwing big money in fees and wages.
And any naming rights money will go towards the stadium project.
We're only going to fall further behind if we don't spend money, for pigging hecks sake.

The premier league system prior to the introduction of this FFP BS was quite fair in its distribution of money; with one portion being shared equally between the 20 clubs, and the rest being prize money based on sporting performance and TV appearances. I think it should stay this way without any FFP nonsense.

If owners want to spend their own money on their own company then they should be allowed to do so. It’s been happening for years! Everton were considered big spenders under John Moores in years gone by, Blackburn, Chelsea and Manchester City were all allowed to do it. Abroad you’ve had Real Madrid and Barcelona spending their way to success for decades. Why does it need to stop now?

It’s only because the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool couldn’t cope with Manchester City dominating for a 20 year period like they have done so themselves in the past that they suddenly want to stop it.

Premier League clubs are businesses, their owners should be able to do whatever they want with them.
Why not just gather the owners round the table once a year to slap their wads down , biggest wedge wins.
Which is essentially what happens now.
Increasingly we are supporting financial institutions where sport is a mildly diverting but utterly predictable by-product.

I think in the "net spend league table" we're 3rd over the Moshiri era. Spending hasn't been our problem, it's been spending it well.
That's as maybe Bruce but, nobody can deny we've wasted a third world debt due to no coherent strategy, an interfering owner with super agents friends, crazy wages and no fall-back safety net of an ever-expanding and increasing stable of corporate partners. sponsors, advertisers etc etc

Then we need a board that can 'work the problem' and massively improve our commercial side of the club out of all recognition to the largely 'reliant upon USM' state we're currently in.

We have said it for years on here. The narrative Everton have is hugely attractive to a lot of the US, just no one tells the story.

This will be manipulated by the oil clubs.

City were already found out to be diverting player image rights to a carribean tax haven to keep those image rights off the wage bill.

City are the only club in Europe to create a 2nd company house, they diverted all non playing staff over 600 people including executives to keep them off the wage bill that they turn into UEFA for the turnover, every club will create 2nd company houses and do the same to increase wage spends to 70%.

Qatar and Abu Dhabi will also divert players wages to their state owned banks to get around, it will also be something they could and will do no doubt.

Both of those clubs do is cheat cheat cheat, it's such a pathetic way to rein in these clubs, it will fail because it will be easier to get by than what FFP was.

Football was ruined when oil money came into the sport.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.