Sad News - Our friend, Roydo

This is such sad news.
When I hear news like this, I realize how important this community is.
This site, this community has gotten me through some tough times, especially over the last few years. I have immense gratitude for those that make it possible and Roydo was right up there. He was a calm voice of reason in a CA section that can get quite fractious. For me, living so far away, his take on stuff like Brexit was a breath of fresh air. His opinion/take was invaluable and far more informative than any news article. He was kind and thoughtful.
My condolences to those of you who knew him personally.
He'll be missed terribly.

Listening to Andy C and the boys on the podcast this morning. I believe Roydo (Mark) hadn’t posted for a few weeks and the GOT guys were a bit concerned. Just shows the staff on here really cared about this lad and proves what he meant to various people.
It’s gutting enough for us who didn’t know Mark personally. It’s knock me for 6 TBH.
Just shows what a great forum we have here and even though we disagree from time to time Everton is our family and in some ways every one of you are as well.

The charity Marks family "chose to support is called Merry Go Round, but it's just a singing/theatre group, so I don't think they have Web page etc"

I'm struggling to find them online, but I've been pointed in the direction of the funeral directors, so hopefully they'll be able to confirm if/how to contribute in Marks memory.

@sister very sorry for your loss Alison. If you have any details for Merry Go Round, so people can donate, please do share.

Do you know if this is the one in Nailsea? If so I might be able to get a contact number, my sisters little one used to dance there a few years ago

Looks hopeful, this is the woman who runs it

Haven't stopped thinking of this and some of Roydo's other posts in the Humanity thread.

Post in thread 'Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven' https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...ity-and-ginger-safe-haven.113432/post-9424121

I am sure he will give some of the signs he received to his remaining family to also bring comfort too that he is with his cherished lost loves now too.
When my Dad passed and was brought home from the hozzie to the local funeral directors the same day a Thrush that he used to sit and watch through his back door - and said he hadn't seen for a couple of years before his passing - suddenly reappeared, bounced it's way down the garden path right up to the back door and stayed there for several minutes just staring in before retreating and flying away. This was a bitterly cold, early January in 2010 when snow/ice was prevalent so unusual to see a recognisable Thrush that time year. It gave us all great comfort that Dad was still around to let us know he was still around!

Listening to Andy C and the boys on the podcast this morning. I believe Roydo (Mark) hadn’t posted for a few weeks and the GOT guys were a bit concerned. Just shows the staff on here really cared about this lad and proves what he meant to various people.
It’s gutting enough for us who didn’t know Mark personally. It’s knock me for 6 TBH.
Just shows what a great forum we have here and even though we disagree from time to time Everton is our family and in some ways every one of you are as well.
This might sound a bit bizarre but, if there are any posters on here who are hard of hearing and unable to listen to the tribute we gave to Mark on TtB - we've had the tribute transcribed and I have it here for people to read...

Talking the Blues Podcast 3rd March 2024 Transcript

Paul:
Good morning, good afternoon or good evening, depending upon where in the world you are and what time of the day you’re listening to this episode of Talking the Blues.

Before we talk about the football and anything else that’s related to Everton I think it’s appropriate to say that this podcast is going to be dedicated to somebody that Andy certainly knew very, very well and I knew him for a number of years and that’s Mark, otherwise known as Roydo, who was a moderator at GrandOldTeam, Andy, perhaps it’s more appropriate for you to say what happened to Mark and why we’re actually dedicating this podcast.

Andy: It’s a very, very sad time for everyone on GrandOldTeam as Mark was probably the most universally liked poster on the GrandOldTeam forum.

We all like to be popular on social media and many people try to be popular on social media. I don’t think Mark ever tried. He just was one of the nicest people.

I never met him personally but I had conversations with him through the forum, particularly when he lost his wife a couple of years ago and it came as a massive shock to everybody when we found out on Saturday that he passed away two or three weeks ago.

It only really came to light when somebody noticed he hadn’t been posting very much on the forum and the moderators were asking one another and we managed to get in touch. Danny, who runs GrandOldTeam, managed to get in touch with one of his family and we got the sad news that Mark had passed away.

And you know, for a guy that many, many people had never met, but many, many people knew and had and had dealings with through the forum on GrandOldTeam. And the response to the post that Danny put on the forum last night to advise of his passing has been phenomenal.

It’s just wall to wall love for the guy. Some real tear -jerking memories of him. And you know, his passing kind of puts everything in perspective because we’re going to talk about a game of football shortly and we’ll probably get annoyed and wound up and irritated over 22 guys kicking a piece of leather around. And Mark’s passing sadly puts all that into some kind of perspective. And so, you know, Mark, if you’re listening, rest in peace my friend.

Paul: Well said, Andy. I did meet Mark on one occasion when I was a moderator of GrandOldTeam. And that was back in 2015, the last game of the season against Tottenham Hotspot, the game that we lost 1 -0. And Harry Kane scored at the Street End. And Mark was as delightful in person as he was online.

A very, very funny guy, very nice guy, very warm, very pleasant. He had his own sort of eccentricity. Is that my word now? Eccentricities, thank you, sorry. There you go, there’s mine, I can’t say words properly.

But a lovely, lovely guy. I know he travelled, for that game, he travelled up with @micknick, who a lot of people who are listening to this will know, and I’ll leave it for Mick to tell the tale, but they had quite an adventurous journey.

The other thing that another lot of people know about Mark was, he was the grandson of a builder in Hoylake, so his Father’s Father was a builder in Hoylake, and his Father, Mark’s father, went on to sort of greater things.

And in fact, he was the person, and some people may not like this, but he was the person who introduced the privatization of cleaning services in the National Health Service under Margaret Thatcher’s government.

And it was so successful in inverted commas that I remember Mark telling me one time that Margaret Thatcher and Dennis used to send Mark’s Dad a Christmas card every Christmas. Just thought I’d share that with you.

But that’s him. That was Mark all over. But Mark was full of surprises. Wherever you are, Mark, and I’m sure you’re with your lovely Nikki who is also, I never met Nikki, but she sounded like a wonderful person.

And her loss to you was enormous. So I’m sure you’re both together now. And yeah, thanks for everything that you did, Mark.

Last edited:
This might sound a bit bizarre but, if there are any posters on here who are hard of hearing and unable to listen to the tribute we gave to Mark on TtB - we've had the tribute transcribed and I have it here for people to read...

Talking the Blues Podcast 3rd March 2024 Transcript

Paul:
Good morning, good afternoon or good evening, depending upon where in the world you are and what time of the day you’re listening to this episode of Talking in the Blues.

Before we talk about the football and anything else that’s related to Everton I think it’s appropriate to say that this podcast is going to be dedicated to somebody that Andy certainly knew very, very well and I knew him for a number of years and that’s Mark, otherwise known as Roydo, who was a moderator at GrandOldTeam, Andy, perhaps it’s more appropriate for you to say what happened to Mark and why we’re actually dedicating this podcast.

Andy: It’s a very, very sad time for everyone on GrandOldTeam and Mark was probably the most universally liked poster on the GrandOldTeam forum.

We all like to be popular on social media and many people try to be popular on social media. I don’t think Mark ever tried. He just was one of the nicest people.

I never met him personally but I had conversations with him through the forum, particularly when he lost his wife a couple of years ago and it came as a massive shock to everybody when we found out on Saturday that he passed away two or three weeks ago.

It only really came to light when somebody noticed he hadn’t been posting very much on the forum and the moderators were asking one another and we managed to get in touch. Danny, who runs GrandOldTeam, managed to get in touch with one of his family and we got the sad news that Mark had passed away.

And you know, for a guy that many, many people had never met, but many, many people knew and had and had dealings with through the forum on GrandOldTeam. And the response to the post that Danny put on the forum last night to advise of his passing has been phenomenal.

It’s just wall to wall love for the guy. Some real tear -jerking memories of him. And you know, his passing kind of puts everything in perspective because we’re going to talk about a game of football shortly and we’ll probably get annoyed and wound up and irritated over 22 guys kicking a piece of leather around. And Mark’s passing sadly puts all that into some kind of perspective. And so, you know, Mark, if you’re listening, rest in peace my friend.

Paul: Well said, Andy. I did meet Mark on one occasion when I was a moderator of GrandOldTeam. And that was back in 2015, the last game of the season against Tottenham Hotspot, the game that we lost 1 -0. And Harry Kane scored at the Street End. And Mark was as delightful in person as he was online.

A very, very funny guy, very nice guy, very warm, very pleasant. He had his own sort of eccentricity. Is that my word now? Eccentricities, thank you, sorry. There you go, there’s mine, I can’t say words properly.

But a lovely, lovely guy. I know he travelled, for that game, he travelled up with @micknick, who a lot of people who are listening to this will know, and I’ll leave it for Mick to tell the tale, but they had quite an adventurous journey.

The other thing that another lot of people know about Mark was, he was the grandson of a builder in Hoylake, so his Father’s Father was a builder in Hoylake, and his Father, Mark’s father, went on to sort of greater things.

And in fact, he was the person, and some people may not like this, but he was the person who introduced the privatization of cleaning services in the National Health Service under Margaret Thatcher’s government.

And it was so successful in inverted commas that I remember Mark telling me one time that Margaret Thatcher and Dennis used to send Mark’s Dad a Christmas card every Christmas. Just thought I’d share that with you.

But that’s him. That was Mark all over. But Mark was full of surprises. Wherever you are, Mark, and I’m sure you’re with your lovely Nikki who is also, I never met Nikki, but she sounded like a wonderful person.

And her loss to you was enormous. So I’m sure you’re both together now. And yeah, thanks for everything that you did, Mark.

💙 💙