Sad News - Our friend, Roydo

Very sad news. You spend years in a community like this, even if it is online and anonymous, and you mostly remember the posters who make you laugh or the ones you can’t stand. It’s a rare one, whether you’ve had direct exchanges with them or not, that stands out as just a decent person. It shines through that there’s no bull shine there, the decent person that you read in their posts you just know that is how they are in person.

Roydo was a real cornerstone of this madhouse and it’s no surprise to read all these posts and see everybody feels the same blow at his loss. Really is no age, and I feel for his family and my condolences for their loss, and to those who knew him well.

I can honestly say I feel I learnt a lot about life from Marks contributions on here whether it was growing old, dealing with loss or just the path to a different pace of life and being able to find peace in life despite what it throws at you.

RIP Mark

(Just a thought I had that perhaps the Ale House could be renamed Roydo's Ale House in tribute)

I'm not sure I had any interaction with Roydo but the numerous tributes above speak volumes for what sort of man he was. A big loss for this place as well as his loved ones. There can be a bit of needle on here as there is in all thingd but I think you'd struggle to find anyone who had a bad word to say about him. Marshalled the place with fairness and a healthy amount of humour.

Not convinced there is anything beyond our short time on this planet, but if there is it seems he's the kind of fella who deserves to sail through those pearly gates. Hope you're at peace with your Nikki,
RIP Roydo

Thanks to all who have messaged me direct. I've had over 50, which is testament to Mark. I usually only ever get messages complaining about stuff but they're all nice ones regarding Mark - I'll reply to all asap. I've spent the day gardening, sulking and trying to ignore the news. Mark was genuinely such a lovely gent. A common comment has been he was the best of us, and it's very true. When you run a site like this it can be pretty lonely at times, 90% of the time you're dealing with problems and being a miserable arse who can't have any favouritism but he was one of very few who could immediately cut through that. I recall calling him in the hour after hearing about Nikki and almost embarrassingly, the call become him settling me, rather than the other way. "Dan, it's ok. It'll be ok". The fella had just lost his partner and was telling me it would be ok. The measure of the man.

Although Mark was a massive part of the site and we all want to mark his passing, it's of course important to be mindful to respect family wishes. Marks nephew will come back to me regarding donations in his memory, and inclusion in official Everton programme etc.

I believe the charity with be one which supported Marks autistic son. So please get ready to dig deep to support in Marks memory.

Sorry I've had to share such crap news. This thread is by some distance the crappest one I've ever had to start. Thanks to everyone who has replied - I'm sure they're of comfort to his family. I can only hope to have even 10% of the messages Mark has had once I check out. What a gent.
Hugs x

Thanks to all who have messaged me direct. I've had over 50, which is testament to Mark. I usually only ever get messages complaining about stuff but they're all nice ones regarding Mark - I'll reply to all asap. I've spent the day gardening, sulking and trying to ignore the news. Mark was genuinely such a lovely gent. A common comment has been he was the best of us, and it's very true. When you run a site like this it can be pretty lonely at times, 90% of the time you're dealing with problems and being a miserable arse who can't have any favouritism but he was one of very few who could immediately cut through that. I recall calling him in the hour after hearing about Nikki and almost embarrassingly, the call become him settling me, rather than the other way. "Dan, it's ok. It'll be ok". The fella had just lost his partner and was telling me it would be ok. The measure of the man.

Although Mark was a massive part of the site and we all want to mark his passing, it's of course important to be mindful to respect family wishes. Marks nephew will come back to me regarding donations in his memory, and inclusion in official Everton programme etc.

I believe the charity with be one which supported Marks autistic son. So please get ready to dig deep to support in Marks memory.

Sorry I've had to share such crap news. This thread is by some distance the crappest one I've ever had to start. Thanks to everyone who has replied - I'm sure they're of comfort to his family. I can only hope to have even 10% of the messages Mark has had once I check out. What a gent.
💙

The charity Marks family "chose to support is called Merry Go Round, but it's just a singing/theatre group, so I don't think they have Web page etc"

I'm struggling to find them online, but I've been pointed in the direction of the funeral directors, so hopefully they'll be able to confirm if/how to contribute in Marks memory.

@sister very sorry for your loss Alison. If you have any details for Merry Go Round, so people can donate, please do share.

The charity Marks family "chose to support is called Merry Go Round, but it's just a singing/theatre group, so I don't think they have Web page etc"

I'm struggling to find them online, but I've been pointed in the direction of the funeral directors, so hopefully they'll be able to confirm if/how to contribute in Marks memory.

@sister very sorry for your loss Alison. If you have any details for Merry Go Round, so people can donate, please do share.
Do you know if this is the one in Nailsea? If so I might be able to get a contact number, my sisters little one used to dance there a few years ago