Russia / Everton

Are we in trouble?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Saudi Arabia not a problem right now? Have they suddenly started to lay off the Yemeni people after literally starving them to death for seven years?

In truth, the atrocities in Yemen are far worse than what has happened in Ukraine, it’s just that the Western media can’t be bothered to whip you up into a frenzy about it. It’s not considered newsworthy, mainly because westerners aren’t arsed as much, which is probably understandable because Ukraine is much closer than Yemen.
You can't save everybody, you have to save those closest to you. Also, what's this got to do with anything I said. I said we are Everton, we can't go fight, but we can at least show support by not flying the flag for russian business. Everton have nothing to do with Yemen, what do you want us to do? If we had Saudi sponsors, I dare say many would have a problem with that too... but we don't! why are you trying to deflect? You want to go save the Yemen people, do it! campaign on their behalf... well, go on...

To be clear: you're defending Alisher Usmanov?
Just so I can understand your position - you feel Alisher Usmanov, who is worth $12bn, is an unfair victim in this war?

My position is in line with Davek’s on this; there are no good guys.

The UK government sells arms to the Saudi regime that has been terroring Yemen for the best part of a decade. The USA has invaded more countries than Soft Mick! Jimmy Saville used to bum the queen, and Prince Andrew is an international nonce behemoth. The Tories have recently had to sort Liverpool Council out because it had become the most corrupt local government in Europe ffs!

As far as I’m aware, Usmanov has a clean DBS, and until that changes I don’t think we should be depriving him of the right to do business.

My position is in line with Davek’s on this; there are no good guys.

The UK government sells arms to the Saudi regime that has been terroring Yemen for the best part of a decade. The USA has invaded more countries than Soft Mick! Jimmy Saville used to bum the queen, and Prince Andrew is an international nonce behemoth. The Tories have recently had to sort Liverpool Council out because it had become the most corrupt local government in Europe ffs!

As far as I’m aware, Usmanov has a clean DBS, and until that changes I don’t think we should be depriving him of the right to do business.

Playing Devils advocate with this current topic - if Usmanov is as evil as some suggest then would you rather his cash being spent on something harmless like EFC / EITC or towards the Russian Army / some dodgy activity?

He's gonna spend his dough somewhere.

This discussion reminds me of the moral blackmail this club suffered in 1985 when it was made abundantly clear to the board and fans that decrying the grotesquely unfair ban from European competition was an abomination in the light of the horrific deaths of 39 people in Brussels. The message was clear: how dare Evertonians worry about football-related issues when people have died.

Now we are set up to be the sacrificial lamb once more. By all means purge English football and Everton Football Club of malign influence from hostile and malevolent states. But why we would line up as a fanbase to uniquely sacrifice ourselves while the malign influence of other hostile and malevolent states is waved through and actively encouraged at the highest government levels beggars belief.

This issue goes way beyond Everton and dodgy Russian money. It is a problem across the entirety of football. The despots who run Manchester City are not "linked" to despots like Usmanov. They ARE the despots. And they are mild compared to who has just taken over at Newcastle.

I'm not going to cry over Everton if we now find ourselves bankrupt and fall through the divisions as a result of sanctions. It would pretty much copper-fasten the story of Bill Kenwright as the most disastrous "custodian" in the history of the club. He couldn't even sell us to a proper untouchable despot. But by the same token, I think only an idiot would willingly go along with the prevailing winds that singles out little old Everton while allowing headchoppers and proven human rights abusers to hold sway at rival clubs. Is the message that it's okay to bomb Yemen but not Ukraine?

Evertonians are forever saying we do not get a fair crack of the whip - from referees, officials, etc. Yet here we are passively allowing our club to be singled out (has Abramovich been sanctioned yet?) and, once again, treated differently from others. Kick Usmanov out - but let's insist that MBS is kicked out at Newcastle and City find new, less blood-soaked, benefactors. Or we can take up station on the moral high ground of the Conference, or whatever it is called these days, and admire our own purity and selflessness while the, admittedly, corrupt game goes on without us anyway.

The entire edifice of football is corrupt. Pulling down Everton while allowing the rest of the vast framework to remain standing is self-defeating, self-aggrandising idiocy. Moshiri and Usmanov should be forced out along with the other parasites, many far far worse, in this league and game. But let's not make complete victims of ourselves so that we feel superior when we turn up to play Boreham Wood, not in the FA Cup, but in the National League.

It cannot be good news for the club, from a financial viewpoint.

My concern is the stadium. If that is completed, then I hope Moshiri and his sponsors and associates clear off. He/they are welcome to get a nice profit on what they paid, but I have had enough of their chaotic and catastrophic "stewardship".

It cannot be good news for the club, from a financial viewpoint.

My concern is the stadium. If that is completed, then I hope Moshiri and his sponsors and associates clear off. He/they are welcome to get a nice profit on what they paid, but I have had enough of their chaotic and catastrophic "stewardship".
They have to go. Moshiri's tenure has been disastrous. It's really only a matter of timing and manner.

This discussion reminds me of the moral blackmail this club suffered in 1985 when it was made abundantly clear to the board and fans that decrying the grotesquely unfair ban from European competition was an abomination in the light of the horrific deaths of 39 people in Brussels. The message was clear: how dare Evertonians worry about football-related issues when people have died.

Now we are set up to be the sacrificial lamb once more. By all means purge English football and Everton Football Club of malign influence from hostile and malevolent states. But why we would line up as a fanbase to uniquely sacrifice ourselves while the malign influence of other hostile and malevolent states is waved through and actively encouraged at the highest government levels beggars belief.

This issue goes way beyond Everton and dodgy Russian money. It is a problem across the entirety of football. The despots who run Manchester City are not "linked" to despots like Usmanov. They ARE the despots. And they are mild compared to who has just taken over at Newcastle.

I'm not going to cry over Everton if we now find ourselves bankrupt and fall through the divisions as a result of sanctions. It would pretty much copper-fasten the story of Bill Kenwright as the most disastrous "custodian" in the history of the club. He couldn't even sell us to a proper untouchable despot. But by the same token, I think only an idiot would willingly go along with the prevailing winds that singles out little old Everton while allowing headchoppers and proven human rights abusers to hold sway at rival clubs. Is the message that it's okay to bomb Yemen but not Ukraine?

Evertonians are forever saying we do not get a fair crack of the whip - from referees, officials, etc. Yet here we are passively allowing our club to be singled out (has Abramovich been sanctioned yet?) and, once again, treated differently from others. Kick Usmanov out - but let's insist that MBS is kicked out at Newcastle and City find new, less blood-soaked, benefactors. Or we can take up station on the moral high ground of the Conference, or whatever it is called these days, and admire our own purity and selflessness while the, admittedly, corrupt game goes on without us anyway.

The entire edifice of football is corrupt. Pulling down Everton while allowing the rest of the vast framework to remain standing is self-defeating, self-aggrandising idiocy. Moshiri and Usmanov should be forced out along with the other parasites, many far far worse, in this league and game. But let's not make complete victims of ourselves so that we feel superior when we turn up to play Boreham Wood, not in the FA Cup, but in the National League.
We'll be put back into the football stone age if the sanctions on Usmanov result in him cutting ties with Everton.

Chelsea can survive Abramovic leaving as they are a European power now who will attract a massive takeover and come out the other side no worse off, and probably better off. Everton: massive debt, no new stadium, failing football team (perhaps relegated). We are dead in the water as far as attracting the type of cash that Usmanov had.

Make no mistake - we are staring top flight oblivion in the face here. It'll be worse than Leeds' downfall. Much worse.

?

Entities the world over are taking steps to disassociate themselves from even the slightest whiff of a Russian connection, the club will have do the same and sharpish.

Surely they are already scrambling to come up with a response. Any delay or obfuscation is PR dynamite and will be seized upon by a willing media. We have no friends in those circles as it is.

It leaves us in a dreadfully exposed position on all fronts and at the worst possible time. It might be to our favour that construction has started on the stadium, but whatever private and legitimate commercial funding already in place is hanging by the thinnest of threads if we do not disassociate from Usmanov/USM immediately.

We can't afford to do that but we also cannot afford not to. Hobson's choice and a day of reckoning looms.

?

Entities the world over are taking steps to disassociate themselves from even the slightest whiff of a Russian connection, the club will have do the same and sharpish.

Surely they are already scrambling to come up with a response. Any delay or obfuscation is PR dynamite and will be seized upon by a willing media. We have no friends in those circles as it is.

It leaves us in a dreadfully exposed position on all fronts and at the worst possible time. It might be to our favour that construction has started on the stadium, but whatever private and legitimate commercial funding already in place is hanging by the thinnest of threads if we do not disassociate from Usmanov/USM immediately.

We can't afford to do that but we also cannot afford not to. Hobson's choice and a day of reckoning looms.
This has nothing to do with Everton. We should not be punished as a club. Any dealings with the club Usmanov has should be left out of any sanctions.

Why should we face destruction because Putin invaded a country?

This has nothing to do with Everton. We should not be punished as a club. Any dealings with the club Usmanov has should be left out of any sanctions.

The whole of Russia and everyone who lives there, or works there is being punished for one man’s ego and stupidity. They don’t want this war as much anyone eles. Now we can potentially be punished for it, just so typical. I know football is just a game and what’s happening in Ukraine is just horrible. But it does just seem that we can’t get a break ever.

I don't disagree but I can't see us avoiding consequences and coming out of this unscathed. You have laid out these consequences yourself in stark terms in this thread already.

It's not fair but we are not Chelsea, as you have also alluded to.

I dont think much will happen tbh.

The club cant be sanctioned as Moshiri is technically the owner.

I'll be massively shocked if the club drop the sponsors and I'll be fuming if we do.

£12 million a year sponsering FF
£30 million towards BMD
so much towards womens team

We cant afford to wave goodbye to £40-45 million a year revenue because the Kopite media try guilt trip us whilst egnoring all the shenanigans elsewhere in the PL.

This happens just around the time (Burnley dependent) we hit the bottom 3 and become nearly as worthless as the rouble.

Typical

Status
Not open for further replies.