Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a dynamo today. A smasher of a goal. I hope we see more of those on the run in. Three pointers will be a welcome change.

You must have been watching a different game mate! He went through the motions and pulled the strings but it was against a League 2 team on a decent pitch. His goal was deflected. Without the deflection it would have been nothing.

Easily the most mean-spirited post I've seen on this forum.

No chance. Barkley is compared to the likes of Gascoigne which is the most insane over-reaction. Ross isn't fit to lace Gazza's boots at a similar age. I was at the game for his debut in August 11 against QPR. He really showed promise with a few lovely moves and breaks forward. But his end product was off. No worries he's only young. Fast forward four and a half years and little has changed.

I like the fact he's a blue don't get me wrong but to suggest we have some kind of world class potential on our hands is madness. I'd swap him for Dele Ali of Spurs in a heartbeat or take £30m off anyone willing to sign that cheque.

No chance. Barkley is compared to the likes of Gascoigne which is the most insane over-reaction. Ross isn't fit to lace Gazza's boots at a similar age. I was at the game for his debut in August 11 against QPR. He really showed promise with a few lovely moves and breaks forward. But his end product was off. No worries he's only young. Fast forward four and a half years and little has changed.

I like the fact he's a blue don't get me wrong but to suggest we have some kind of world class potential on our hands is madness. I'd swap him for Dele Ali of Spurs in a heartbeat or take £30m off anyone willing to sign that cheque.
Everton isn't for you son. Pick another club.

What Everton players do you appreciate mate?

Seriously? I think Coleman, Baines, Jags, Mori, Barry, McCarthy, Stones, Deulofeu and Lukaku are all great players relative to the rest of the league with the last three easily standing out for their age across Europe. Besic showed something really special a while back and I look forward to seeing him on the pitch more often. I think Barkley is good but completely over-rated.

Everton isn't for you son. Pick another club.

I'll be the judge of that thanks. So if I don't share in your hero worship of Barkley I'm not fit to support the club? For the record I would never boo a player on the pitch and once the game starts I'd give him my full support. I just think a lot of fans are pretty clueless in recognising true class beyond mere potential. After 100 games in the Premier League he has to perform to a much higher standard on a regular basis to warrant the team being drawn around him.

I'll be the judge of that thanks. So if I don't share in your hero worship of Barkley I'm not fit to support the club? For the record I would never boo a player on the pitch and once the game starts I'd give him my full support. I just think a lot of fans are pretty clueless in recognising true class beyond mere potential. After 100 games in the Premier League he has to perform to a much higher standard on a regular basis to warrant the team being drawn around him.
I question anyone's intelligence/sanity when they suggest Barkley is a completely overrated quantity and in the same day suggest we sign Jon Walters.

I question anyone's intelligence/sanity when they suggest Barkley is a completely overrated quantity and in the same day suggest we sign Jon Walters.

Do you understand the term relative? Barkley is good no question about it but he's a long way off the level some on here seem to suggest. He's played a 100 games for us and is still talked about as a little kid. At the moment he's a decent enough Premier League player but many times this season he should have been dropped if only we had someone to bring on.

Regarding Walters I'd rather have him than Kone if anything happened to Rom. It was tongue in cheek. We have no back-up forward and last time I checked Walters was in dispute with Stoke over a contract or something. We need someone in. I follow Walters for Ireland and he's a lot better than he is given credit for.

Do you understand the term relative? Barkley is good no question about it but he's a long way off the level some on here seem to suggest. He's played a 100 games for us and is still talked about as a little kid. At the moment he's a decent enough Premier League player but many times this season he should have been dropped if only we had someone to bring on.

Regarding Walters I'd rather have him than Kone if anything happened to Rom. It was tongue in cheek. We have no back-up forward and last time I checked Walters was in dispute with Stoke over a contract or something. We need someone in. I follow Walters for Ireland and he's a lot better than he is given credit for.
So your relative levels of assessment has shown that Deli Alli is that much of a better player that you would rather him than Ross "in a heartbeat"? It's not as if you said Ross was good in your recent posts either. A few of your descriptions are he is completely overrated when none of the posters here think he is the next coming, he is unfit to lace Gazza's boots at the same age, and all manner of tripe so don't try to back out now into a "good" assessment of him. Regarding Jon Walters how could it be tongue in cheek and you also do want him in ahead of Kone? Make up your mind about stuff if you're going to defend a position.

How many games did you see him play for Newcastle? Or even Spurs
Not many live games then.
Everyone can look good on a 5minute motd cameo.

Nowhere near as much scrutiny on young players then as there is now. Don't get me wrong Gascogne was a fantastic player and I don't think Ross is as talented in terms of dribbling with the ball and going past players.

Gazza got 40 goals in nearly 200 games for necastle and spurs by the age of 24. I said on here last year I don't think you will see the best of Ross until he's 24/25 and played 200 games. You mentioned he's now got a 100 games at top level. But how many in the number 8 position, which long term is the position I think he will play.

On another point I remember gazza having some very bad games for England. He was part of the team that failed to qualify for the 94 World Cup. And apart from the goal against Scotland he didn't stand out for me at Euro 96

Last edited:
So your relative levels of assessment has shown that Deli Alli is that much of a better player that you would rather him than Ross "in a heartbeat"? It's not as if you said Ross was good in your recent posts either. A few of your descriptions are he is completely overrated when none of the posters here think he is the next coming, he is unfit to lace Gazza's boots at the same age, and all manner of tripe so don't try to back out now into a "good" assessment of him. Regarding Jon Walters how could it be tongue in cheek and you also do want him in ahead of Kone? Make up your mind about stuff if you're going to defend a position.

I think Ali will be a better player than Barkley. Hence I'd be happy to swap them yes.

I've never said Barkley is terrible. He is over-rated by many on here in my opinion.

I would rather have Walters on the bench than Kone.

How many games did you see him play for Newcastle? Or even Spurs
Not many live games then.
Everyone can look good on a 5minute motd cameo.

Nowhere near as much scrutiny on young players then as there is now. Don't get me wrong Gascogne was a fantastic player and I don't think Ross is as talented in terms of dribbling with the ball and going past players.

Gazza got 40 goals in nearly 200 games for necastle and spurs by the age of 24. I said on here last year I don't think you will see the best of Ross until he's 24/25 and played 200 games. You mentioned he's now got a 100 games at top level. But how many in the number 8 position, which long term is the position I think he will play.

On another point I remember gazza having some very bad games for England. He was part of the team that failed to qualify for the 94 World Cup. And apart from the goal against Scotland he didn't stand out for me at Euro 96

I think there's some comparison with Gazza in the sense he'd played I think about the same 100 game mark for Newcastle before he was sold to Spurs than Barkley has for us now. Granted I didn't see all of Gazza's games in the flesh but I remember a fair bit. The good people at Wikipedia tell me he scored 24 goals in those 100 games and I just remember him being electric and virtually unplayable.

My point with Barkley is the over-reaction. He's nothing like top class at the minute in my book. If we'd signed him for a few million and brought him in from a lower league club the crowd would be very different. He's good - very good possibly - but I think it would be great business to sell him now for say £30m and let some other club take the risk on whether he will see his potential realised.

poor old steve is wrong about literally everything everton related, he refused to bend the knee to Ross, and should be destroyed
'Poor old Steve' at 74 probably works harder in a day than you do in a week, so doesn't have time to be on here as much as some, and 'poor old Steve' is occasionally wrong in a judgement, but after all,its only his opinion, just as your opinion is yours. For a long time now I've ignored Mr Elephants worthless attempts at humour at others expense for various reasons....he says nothing that contributes to debate, he doesn't have a real opinion about anything, and most importantly, he's not funny.
Regarding Barkley, a large number of Evertonians including me,, were very critical of his performances last season, in fact when Everton were lousy, he was one of the lousiest. There is no way his performances last season would have justified a place in an Everton team playing well. He did not tackle, he let opposing players simply slide past him without challenge, and he 'hid' for large parts of a large number of games. None of that signposted a decent future for Ross. He has been better this season, and Martinez must take a lot of the credit for this. Ross has obviously been working hard on all aspects of his game, particularly concentration, and his decision making is noticeably a big contribution to our attacking quality. I think also that maybe he has rid himself of the anxiety caused by his earlier bad injuries. He still has some improvements to make, but I am now of the opinion that he is more able to make these improvements. I think he has a fair chance of starting for England at the Euros, whereas twelve months ago I thought that he would be lucky to make the squad.
By the way..'ageist' 'jokes' are not funny, they simply lack respect, and tell a lot about the 'joker'.

Status
Not open for further replies.