Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
SACK NOW!!!!

He's our David O'Leary. Spend a fortune & never accept he is the problem.

but hang on?

Last season

- We improved, going up four places. To say we didn't is denying facts
- He introduced more young players into the side
- We won more home games than in any other season in the PL era, and most in about 38 years or something
- We regularly slotted 3-4 goals in games

So far this season has been poor but of our 10 matches we've lost four. Those four defeats have all been worrying and nobody is saying there shouldn't be any pressure, but I don't get why the attitude has just flipped in the space of literally 3 weeks. It's mental.

It is way too early to be calling for him to be sacked. There are far worse managers out there and there is a long way to go in the season. It can all change in just a few games. At this stage, 3 or 4 wins in the prem can shoot you right up the table just as the losses shot us right down the table. He did fine for the first season and is a proven and experienced winner so even though i am very critical and frustrated with him, the board and the team so far this season, i am also still optimistic that good things can still yet come from the season. Long way to go yet.

The big worry isn't so much we've lost so many games in a row, but that we've lost so many games in a row and he hasn't made much of an effort to change the tactics and address the obvious issues with the squad

Just to give two examples;

We do have a right back who can defend, he just won't pick Kenny

We do have pace in the team, he just won't pick Lookman

This is the issue for me. If he was trying new approaches and we were still losing, I'd be fine with the shouts to give him time as he would actually be trying to fix things. The reason why I think we need to be worried is that he isn't addressing the issues and we're losing because of them every time out

I called Martinez out for that and I'll do the same now. Fair is fair

His team selections are bizarre, his tactics are almost non-existent and he seems to have the motivational power of a wooden post.
However, it is far too early to even consider sacking him.
But if we are in the bottom six in February, then he won't see the end of the month out, let alone the season.

The big worry isn't so much we've lost so many games in a row, but that we've lost so many games in a row and he hasn't made much of an effort to change the tactics and address the obvious issues with the squad

This is the issue for me. If he was trying new approaches and we were still losing, I'd be fine with the shouts to give him time as he would actually be trying to fix things. The reason why I think we need to be worried is that he isn't addressing the issues and we're losing because of them every time out

Sadly Mikey he is so one dimensional that he has no idea what to do, lacks any real tactical ability and has terrible man management skills. Add to that he's stubborn and can't accept his way of doing things might be wrong, so instead blames others and trys to shoehorn players into a system he thinks is right rather than an alternative that potentially plays to their strengths.

There's not a single player there that looks motivated and like they believe in what he's asking them to do, I'm not sure how you turn that around when you're as stuck in your ways as Koeman.

Bar the last 10mins against utd i saw signs of a much more fluid approach from the team. There is always a 'sticky' patch in most seasons. Confidence breeds confidence, sure the team will get it together overseen by Ronald through these next 4 games. We've got him till at least next summer so i think knuckle down and enjoy the ride is the best approach. Been let down too many times to not give this current set a bit of breathing room. Albiet there has been a distinct lack of fight which is worrying. However that will surely come back.... stay frosty blues!

Sadly Mikey he is so one dimensional that he has no idea what to do, lacks any real tactical ability and has terrible man management skills. Add to that he's stubborn and can't accept his way of doing things might be wrong, so instead blames others and trys to shoehorn players into a system he thinks is right rather than an alternative that potentially plays to their strengths.

There's not a single player there that looks motivated and like they believe in what he's asking them to do, I'm not sure how you turn that around when you're as stuck in your ways as Koeman.

I heard that when he wants to drop a player on the day of the game he sends them out for a chippy for him, and when they come back with the goods the lads are already out warming up and Ron just grabs the grub and leaves them standing in the dressing room with Niasse. Don't shoot the messenger like. True rumour facts lads.

Fire one straight down the fairway of the 16th 290 yards. Beautiful.

Lookman was so bad in the Europa, and there's no way you can pitch Kenny into games against the top 4, it might ruin his confidence

I heard that when he wants to drop a player on the day of the game he sends them out for a chippy for him, and when they come back with the goods the lads are already out warming up and Ron just grabs the grub and leaves them standing in the dressing room with Niasse. Don't shoot the messenger like. True rumour facts lads.

Seen him pulling chips out of his tracksuit pocket on the touchline so that appears to tie in with what you've heard.

My main criticism is that he has made dramatic team changes this year, instead of a gradual change to improve from 7th. This year feels like he's a new manager again. There are ways that a new manager can turn around a team immediately, not waiting for 2- 3 years of a turn around:

Here are some ideas he could / should have done:

He should have done what it takes to minimise the changes in personnel:
  • I would have also said OK lukaku is leaving, but keep Barkley, Mirallas or Deulofeu for some consistency - EVEN if they are not that good yet
  • Similarly I would have held on to Barry for the experience he brings - offer him some fancy job in the future, we could have made him a Blue.
To make the transition work, keep partnerships together within the team - mini teams within the team. You can see that friends or same age group players play well together, e.g.if 2 people from the U23 or from the England U20 always play near each other - say DCL / Lookman or Davies / Kenny or Davies / Dowell...

Commit to a formation and a plan B across all levels

Integrate Unsworth's U23 successes - personnel, tactics and team spirit - into the First team

Make Rooney and Barkley buddy up and Rooney as a formal mentor for Barkley, Davies and Dowell

Make Baines a formal mentor for Kenny, Holgate

and Big Dunc a formal mentor for DCL, Lookman and Sandro

If there is no 'formal' mentoring, introduce it.

introduce 'captains' borrowed from cricket like they have fielding, bowling, batting captains, have captains for
- opening 20 mins
- closing 10 mins
- set pieces (defence)
- set pieces (offence)
- pace (i.e when we know we are playing slow)

the main captain takes overall charge but sharing out responsibility like this helps

Set individual aims for individual players. DCL to score 15 goals, Lookman, Mirallas, Gylfi, Sandro, Klassen 10 each, Rooney 20...and then commit to help them do it.

Maybe he does all this already, but what do I know?

While I agree with the principle Mikey, the players have to take their chances when they do play.

Kenny hasn't had that chance yet and that should change tonight and all being well he takes it.

But Lookman has blown hot and cold and in a difficult run of fixtures you can understand the logic in not throwing a young player like that in - even though I want him in the side as well.

Now is the time he has to try something new to get us back to winning ways.

In fairness though, they could be working hard on these things in training, trying to put them right, which would be the correct approach, rather than just chopping and changing players and hoping for the best. It's a side of management we as fans don't really get to see, but it's arguably the most important part.

Our Season really starts tonight. It was always going to be tough with the fixture list at the start against far more settled sides with more quality. Sure we want to be competing with those, but we've had quite an overhaul in the Summer and we needed more time to gel as a side before we faced them really. But it's done now and the season starts tonight. We have 4 home games that are all winnable on paper, we just have to make sure we win them, and then if we manage that, the season will have a whole different outlook.

From a personal point of view I'd like to see Kenny given a chance as well, martina is shocking. And I'd like to see them without Rooney, cos I'm sick of seeing him drop deep to get the ball and lay it off to someone else. It's almost a pass that doesnt need to be made. He should re-invent himself as a penalty box striker, give us something to aim at when we have the ball in dangerous areas, instead of having to turn around and go back.

My main criticism is that he has made dramatic team changes this year, instead of a gradual change to improve from 7th. This year feels like he's a new manager again. There are ways that a new manager can turn around a team immediately, not waiting for 2- 3 years of a turn around:

Here are some ideas he could / should have done:

He should have done what it takes to minimise the changes in personnel:
  • I would have also said OK lukaku is leaving, but keep Barkley, Mirallas or Deulofeu for some consistency - EVEN if they are not that good yet
  • Similarly I would have held on to Barry for the experience he brings - offer him some fancy job in the future, we could have made him a Blue.
To make the transition work, keep partnerships together within the team - mini teams within the team. You can see that friends or same age group players play well together, e.g.if 2 people from the U23 or from the England U20 always play near each other - say DCL / Lookman or Davies / Kenny or Davies / Dowell...

Commit to a formation and a plan B across all levels

Integrate Unsworth's U23 successes - personnel, tactics and team spirit - into the First team

Make Rooney and Barkley buddy up and Rooney as a formal mentor for Barkley, Davies and Dowell

Make Baines a formal mentor for Kenny, Holgate

and Big Dunc a formal mentor for DCL, Lookman and Sandro

If there is no 'formal' mentoring, introduce it.

introduce 'captains' borrowed from cricket like they have fielding, bowling, batting captains, have captains for
- opening 20 mins
- closing 10 mins
- set pieces (defence)
- set pieces (offence)
- pace (i.e when we know we are playing slow)

the main captain takes overall charge but sharing out responsibility like this helps

Set individual aims for individual players. DCL to score 15 goals, Lookman, Mirallas, Gylfi, Sandro, Klassen 10 each, Rooney 20...and then commit to help them do it.

Maybe he does all this already, but what do I know?

We offered Ross the third-biggest contract ever given to a player at Everton. He's still here anyway, he's just crocked. Signing a new deal or not makes no difference to that.

Mirallas has stayed. Barry wanted to get first team football consistently and Koeman has said he wanted to keep him and Pulis said that Everton were desperate for him to stay. There's not much more we could've done it seems, even though I wish Barry had have stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.