Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They had 10 men though, we should have gone at them and DOMINATED THE GAME."

We "go at" City in that second half, regardless of how many they have on the pitch, we lose. Simple as that. The moves we made in the second 45 gave us a chance to get up the field - and we certainly were up the field way more than we were there last season, or the season before - but we couldn't create a second opening to score.

Defensively, I believe we are quickly becoming one of the best teams in the league. That showed today, all of the back five were excellent, as were Schneiderlin, Gueye and Pickford. Half a mistake from Holgate was all it was, and it was punished.

In no universe was that a bad result. In no universe was that a bad performance. In no universe has Koeman made a gigantic mess of it or have the players bottled it or rubbish like that. Away at the best team in the league, our gameplan beat theirs but an abundance of class and a hint of luck made it a draw.

Pull your bonces in.
I agree, a point at city is a good result and you'd take it 9/10 times.

I also agree it wasn't a 'bad' performance. It wasn't a particularly good one either though if we're honest.

What I take issue with is people making out like it's a great result and tactical masterpiece. It was moyes all over. I have no real issue with that as I liked moyes, but I just find it odd that he was beaten with the top 4 stick for so long and now £300m up the road a new manager is doing the same things and getting the same results, yet now it's brilliant instead of disgraceful.

Disagree. We looked like the team down a man the second half. It was a very poor half.

To be absolutely dominated a man up is poor at best. It was 2 points dropped. Lookman woulda been a good sub over Gylfi. I have a massive man crush on Gylfi btw. They couldn't handle DCL's pace and skill...Lookman would have frightened them.
Agreed the second half vs 10 men was embarrassing.

Disagree. We looked like the team down a man the second half. It was a very poor half.

To be absolutely dominated a man up is poor at best. It was 2 points dropped. Lookman woulda been a good sub over Gylfi. I have a massive man crush on Gylfi btw. They couldn't handle DCL's pace and skill...Lookman would have frightened them.

Lookman also gives the ball away quite a lot, I think this would have been Koeman's thoughts.

I also agree it wasn't a 'bad' performance. It wasn't a particularly good one either though if we're honest.

What I take issue with is people making out like it's a great result and tactical masterpiece. It was moyes all over. I have no real issue with that as I liked moyes, but I just find it odd that he was beaten with the top 4 stick for so long and now £300m up the road a new manager is doing the same things and getting the same results, yet now it's brilliant instead of disgraceful.
Because the gap is arguably the same now between us and the top of the league as it was under Moyes - we spend £300m City spend £500m (I'm just guessing there). City have spent nearly £100m this summer alone on fullbacks- we got martina on a free!

Because the gap is arguably the same now between us and the top of the league as it was under Moyes - we spend £300m City spend £500m (I'm just guessing there). City have spent nearly £100m this summer alone on fullbacks- we got martina on a free!
I agree - it's the same not bigger. So why has expectation dropped? People used to fume that we were plucky little Everton, now people are telling me there's absolutely no way in earth we can go and attack a team playing with 10 men for 50 minutes because their players cost more than ours.

While the punt and run benefits of Lookman might have been handy, he also would have lost the ball a fair bit. Nor would he have been as solid defensively as Sigurdsson was (Gylfi wasn't perfect here, but he stuck some tackles and pressed well for the most part). We'll never know what might have happened if that sub was different, but the logic was sound and the result was certainly passable.

And FWIW, I'd say we were only "absolutely dominated" for about 20 minutes, after they took Stones off and started playing much more directly to the feet of Aguero. And even then we handled almost every threat perfectly. Before that they looked largely toothless, and we were one killer DCL pass or Rooney header away from making it two.

"They had 10 men though, we should have gone at them and DOMINATED THE GAME."

We "go at" City in that second half, regardless of how many they have on the pitch, we lose. Simple as that. The moves we made in the second 45 gave us a chance to get up the field - and we certainly were up the field way more than we were there last season, or the season before - but we couldn't create a second opening to score.

Defensively, I believe we are quickly becoming one of the best teams in the league. That showed today, all of the back five were excellent, as were Schneiderlin, Gueye and Pickford. Half a mistake from Holgate was all it was, and it was punished.

In no universe was that a bad result. In no universe was that a bad performance. In no universe has Koeman made a gigantic mess of it or have the players bottled it or rubbish like that. Away at the best team in the league, our gameplan beat theirs but an abundance of class and a hint of luck made it a draw.

Pull your bonces in.

These really.

Also for what it's worth him and the coaching team have, for me, done wonders on certain players. Best example is DCL - boy was (sorry to say) turd last season, from what we saw, but is now looking like a prospect for target man/CF in the future.

He's cleared out most of the dead wood in a very short space of time... his signings have been good to very good and could have a couple of exceptional ones in time... he's progressed on the league... got us into Europe and has sorted out the defence... he's lost our best striker since liniker and we have conceded a single goal away from home ... he turned around our worst home record in history ... he tells it like it is and is honest and blunt with the fans... I like him and don't see how people can moan about him so far tbh

This.

Argue tactics and management all you want. The 2 points we lost are squarely on the manager...he got it wrong.

I hate that hoofball is his thing.
We got a point away at the best team in the league. Without a proven striker, with our best player not fit, without Coleman, Bolaisse, etc.

We got a point away at the best team in the league. Without a proven striker, with our best player not fit, without Coleman, Bolaisse, etc.

I would say we lost two points. Whatever the situation before the game in respect to injuries or key positions not filled, we had a situation in-game where we were 1-0 and with a man advantage and we failed to create anything to try kill the game. The players on the pitch/bench were good enough to implement a more attack minded plan, even if only slightly more so.

We should all have had enough practice of watching Everton play games like that for us to want something a bit better.

Hopefully he kicks on though and does deliver that.

Getting dominated a man up really was poor. No way around that. Stuck with counter attacking when we should have taken the driver's seat. A decent result in the end but two points dropped with the tactics.
You do know he took off a defender, right?

And dominated would indicate there were a ton of chances against us. Their goal was a horrible give away right to Sterling. They didn't create jack. They had like 5 or 6 shots on target the whole match. Pickford made on tough save. In fact, how many saves did he have to make once we went up? Almost none. So how is that not getting the tactics right?

Status
Not open for further replies.