Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Also why do people not understand taking Williams off. We needed to get a second goal and by going to a four at the back we became more attack minded. We would have conceded either way. City were all over us.

I understand where you're coming from, and what Ron was trying to do, but I disagreed with it at the time and still do. Overall a sound game for Koeman except for the Ash sub in my opinion. Reactions seem to be all over the place though, including some odd bedwetting.

Pretty poor second half there. I thought he might show something different from his locker in the second half with the man advantage but we carried zero threat and at no point tried to take control of the game.

I felt it several times last season and felt it again in the second half tonight, but I've seen all this before.

Of course, with the squad filled out as he wants it and more games under his belt here, maybe he will show more but I still have the strong feeling we have seen as much as we are going to get from him.
He got his tactics right I feel. However like I said earlier in the thread, the biggest barrier to our play is the slowness of Williams and jagielka which means we have to defend 10 yards deeper. This meant DCL and Rooney were often isolated in possession, with little or no support. If we could add some pace to partner Keane, it would make us play so much higher up the pitch, which would enable the midfield to support our forward players better.

Not saying it's down to koeman but I can't understand why people are getting worked up about others pointing out tonight wasn't great.

City are a good side, but we played against 10 men for 50 minutes and looked second best for much of it. That should be disappointing for everyone.

Yes, I tend to agree with almost all of that.

The part I disagree with is you saying we've looked second best for "much" of the fifty minutes.

I thought we looked second best for all of it :mad:

He got his tactics right I feel. However like I said earlier in the thread, the biggest barrier to our play is the slowness of Williams and jagielka which means we have to defend 10 yards deeper. This meant DCL and Rooney were often isolated in possession, with little or no support. If we could add some pace to partner Keane, it would make us play so much higher up the pitch, which would enable the midfield to support our forward players better.

He got them right for what he wanted yup, which is fine. However I would prefer our manager do something different with a 1-0 and 1 man advantage.

But as I said above maybe we will see something different if he gets the exact squad he wants, like you mention with the faster CB option.

City are able to pay their players at least 3 to 4 times more than we are able to pay ours.

They are also able to spend many, many times what we can spend on transfers.

So let's think of it like this, if we were playing a team from the Championship, say Fulham, and went a man down after half an hour, would we expect them to smash us, like Davek and certain others are suggesting we should have done to City tonight? In my opinion no, as our other 10 players would be much superior to their 11 in terms of talent, so having a mere one-man advantage wouldn't be as dramatic as it sounds.

City are able to pay their players at least 3 to 4 times more than we are able to pay ours.

They are also able to spend many, many times what we can spend on transfers.

So let's think of it like this, if we were playing a team from the Championship, say Fulham, and went a man down after half an hour, would we expect them to smash us, like Davek and certain others are suggesting we should have done to City tonight? In my opinion no, as our other 10 players would be much superior to their 11 in terms of talent, so having a mere one-man advantage wouldn't be as dramatic as it sounds.

No, let's just think of it like preferences.

It's not an exact science and the choice is not as black and white as you've just made it out to be. it's not backs to the wall defending of a 1-0 lead OR all-out attack....and nothing in between.

It was possible for us to tactically try to use the man advantage to control the game even just a little bit more and carry some threat to allow us to kill the game off. I feel we did the opposite and despite the subs, generally allowed the whole team to stay deep and invite them on to us.

I'd prefer a manager who might go for it a bit more. I personally don't think Koeman is that. Nothing wrong with his choices during the game, as they could've come off, but I didn't like that second half at all. We have more than enough talent to be capable of getting a few shots on target in all that time with the man advantage.

Also why do people not understand taking Williams off. We needed to get a second goal and by going to a four at the back we became more attack minded. We would have conceded either way. City were all over us.

Nope.

They took Jesus off and we had 3 CB's marking Aguero and were being over-ran in midfield.

I am unbelievabled that we managed to score a goal.
Early doors many were predicting most of our wins would be 1-0 ones, and there'd be a fair few 1-1 draws. Out of our competitive matches thus far, 80% of results endorse that prediction.
Bottom line : we're short on attacking/goal scoring threat

In an ideal world I imagine RK would have liked to set up differently tonight - but bear in mind we've another game Thursday he's had to mix things up a bit.

A point at City and progression on Thursday would make it a successful week

With DCL proving he can do the job for us I feel a pacey quality cb becomes the priority, allowing us to push upfield 10 yards in these types of games and not isolate the attackers to much

Status
Not open for further replies.